A post for the older members (1 Viewer)

I've just finished Brian Cloughs autobiography, What happend with the move to Cov? It wasn't mentioned. Clough and Taylor at Highfield Road, What might of been!

Moff

Is it the first or second draft? The first one mentioned it...cant think what scuppered the move...if only!

luwalla

i read the book about him, that was written by the sports reporter from the Nottingham newspaper.. cracking read, that mentioned the move.. just said he nearly ended up at cov

skybluesam66

he wanted too long a contract
we were not prepared to offer him

at the time
Clough turned down due to length of contract
Malcolm Allison was provisionally offered the post, but because he boasted to the press about the appointment he was discarded
Instead it went to Noel cantwell

DazzleTommyDazzle

he wanted too long a contract
we were not prepared to offer him

at the time
Clough turned down due to length of contract
Malcolm Allison was provisionally offered the post, but because he boasted to the press about the appointment he was discarded
Instead it went to Noel cantwell

As I recall it was JH who wanted the longer contract - DR offered him 5 years but JH would only accept 10.

With Clough, I thought that it was all agreed in principle, but he kept stalling on resigning from Derby until eventually DR gave up on him, thinking that he was just using the offer to get a better deal out of Derby.

But I may have misremembered some or all of that....

Hobo

Brian Clough as Manager and a midfield of If, But and Maybe....that would have been something.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Was he known at the time? if he was surely we should of given him a 10 year contract if that's what he wanted

Cantwell succeeded Jimmy hill in 1967.....so that would have been the year Clough went to dodgy Derby after doing OK at Hartlepool......He certainly wasn't known as a top manager until after his achievements with Derby....

Cantwell took us to our highest EVER finish....6th in 69/70.

PS: I wasn't born until 1971....so I don't believe I qualify as an "older member"..... :)

I was born in 1992 so I'm defiantly not an older member. I've read some great books tho about people who were before my time, Alex "hurricane" Higgins is a great read.

bringbackrattles

When Clough was manager at Forest he wanted Trevor Francis but was told by Birmingham to pay a million quid,making him the first million pound player.One other club was willing to match it and the club was Coventry City !
Cloughie was down on record as saying I knew Coventry were ambitious.
Anyway we lost out but how times have changed.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Ha....So ambitious in fact that the following season, we sold Forest wee Ian Wallace for even more than they paid for Francis....

skyblueexile

sadly as a supporter of over 55yrs I do qualify - from memory the reason was he made a press announcement before club so Robbins withdrew job offer

Users who are viewing this thread