A good week (1 Viewer)

Coval

I am a Coventry kid first (born and lived in Coventry all my life)and a sports fan second. As such this week was mostly good. On Saturday Coventry United won again, Coventry Sphinx won, Coventry RFC won (9 games now without a defeat ). On Sunday Wasps beat French side Castres Olympique.
The team whose result I would have most like to have added were not in action as it was the second round of the FA cup and they had been eliminated in the first round by a conference club. This is the team I once watched win the cup and who had competed for many years against the best in the land.
Before I hear the expected tirade against Wasps, like it or not they are going to play their home games in Coventry from now on. Out of interest Wasps fly half was born in Coventry, he went to the same Coventry school as my son and I and began his rugby playing as a child at Barkers Butts RFC.
Last week my grandson who plays junior rugby for Old Coventrians RFC was invited to Barkers to meet visiting Wasps coaching staff and one of the first team players, just the kind of PR the kids appreciate.
I have no evidence that their future presence will harm local sport or support, and who knows they may one day be considered just as much part of the sporting scene as say Coventry Blaze, another import
Sadly Coventry city's owners are still threatening to take the club, this time permanently, out of the city whose name they carry.
I hope things get better soon but unfortunately see little tangible evidence so far.
I make no apology for saying I have tickets to take my grandson to the Ricoh on 21 December when we will see first class rugby players in action and hopefully an enjoyable game.

Nick

Administrator
So you are angry about CCFC threatening to move outside the city but praise Wasps? Another signed up to a CCFC forum to slag CCFC off?

irony.jpg

Samo

No offence to you Coval but why even mention Wasps? They are nothing at all to do with anyone from Coventry. What is a fly half by the way?

olderskyblue

Bloody hell nick, it's a good job you mentioned that. On first reading I completely missed all the slagging off of CCFC

jabharty

More double standards. Explain why it's fine for London Wasps to take their side 'out of the city whose name they carry', but wrong for Coventry to do it.
Obviously it's wrong in both cases, but why should we just accept it for a Rugby club and not a football club?

Nick

Administrator
More double standards. Explain why it's fine for London Wasps to take their side 'out of the city whose name they carry', but wrong for Coventry to do it.
Obviously it's wrong in both cases, but why should we just accept it for a Rugby club and not a football club?

Top class Rugby innit.

olderskyblue

It really isn't hard to see what the post is intending to do is it?

Maybe. The same could be said of lots of your posts too.

skybluedan

I am a Coventry kid first (born and lived in Coventry all my life)and a sports fan second. As such this week was mostly good. On Saturday Coventry United won again, Coventry Sphinx won, Coventry RFC won (9 games now without a defeat ). On Sunday Wasps beat French side Castres Olympique.
The team whose result I would have most like to have added were not in action as it was the second round of the FA cup and they had been eliminated in the first round by a conference club. This is the team I once watched win the cup and who had competed for many years against the best in the land.
Before I hear the expected tirade against Wasps, like it or not they are going to play their home games in Coventry from now on. Out of interest Wasps fly half was born in Coventry, he went to the same Coventry school as my son and I and began his rugby playing as a child at Barkers Butts RFC.
Last week my grandson who plays junior rugby for Old Coventrians RFC was invited to Barkers to meet visiting Wasps coaching staff and one of the first team players, just the kind of PR the kids appreciate.
I have no evidence that their future presence will harm local sport or support, and who knows they may one day be considered just as much part of the sporting scene as say Coventry Blaze, another import
Sadly Coventry city's owners are still threatening to take the club, this time permanently, out of the city whose name they carry.
I hope things get better soon but unfortunately see little tangible evidence so far.
I make no apology for saying I have tickets to take my grandson to the Ricoh on 21 December when we will see first class rugby players in action and hopefully an enjoyable game.

I think you should go on to the wasps forum and tell them how happy you are there club have moved to coventry and your going to the first game at the Ricoh, bet they'll be over the moon for you.........

Nick

Administrator
Not wishing to get into the finer points Jabharty but they are Wasps not London Wasps

Yes, because they changed their name just before moving here?

You will be ok if CCFC change their name and move away then?

Moff

Founded 147 years ago they were only known as London Wasps for 13 years

Thats because they were actually Wasps playing in London for 134 years, until they were moved out to Wycombe and used the name to enforce who they were and where they were from.

Still after 134 years in London, and 13 years in Wycombe, its so easy to overlook that small matter to justify a move to Coventry.

Nick

Administrator
Founded 147 years ago they were only known as London Wasps for 13 years

Wasn't that because they played in London and when they moved away they did it to hold on to a bit of the "London"? An expert may be able to correct me and sorry if I am wrong!

Then they changed it this summer, I assume when they knew they were moving here? Probably because people will think "ah it makes it ok as they don't have London in their name so they can move now". Seems to have a worked.

Nick

Administrator
Thats because they were actually Wasps playing in London for 134 years, until they were moved out to Wycombe and used the name to enforce who they were and where they were from.

Still after 134 years in London, and 13 years in Wycombe, its so easy to overlook that small matter to justify a move to Coventry.

:censored::claping hands:

letsallsingtogether

Fuck me CRFC got a better home following then the City did at sixfields good job they returned to the Ricoh or that would have been embarrassing:)

Astute

Welcome to SBT.

I only have one little problem with the whole post. I think it should have been put in the 'Utter Bollox' section.

bigfatronssba

Fuck me CRFC got a better home following then the City did at sixfields good job they returned to the Ricoh or that would have been embarrassing:)

Even without Wasps, we are reaching a point where someone saying "they are going to the game at the weekend" doesn't mean going to watch the City like it once did.

The number of people attending non CCFC sports events in the city is now approaching 5k each weekend, when you consider CCFC are only getting 8k at games it doesn't bode well for the future.

letsallsingtogether

Lets hope we dont move to Northampton for 13 years, and then get moved to somewhere like Wakefield where the Coventry name is dropped, as it might spoil your fun.

Careful what you wish for.;)

dongonzalos

So you are angry about CCFC threatening to move outside the city but praise Wasps? Another signed up to a CCFC forum to slag CCFC off?

irony.jpg

Unfortunately a few people on here ditched a lot of their principles when SISU were trying to screw over a local charity and our council.

They said their only concern is CCFC. If what SISU does benefits CCFC that's all that matters.

I may have a bad recollection but I think you yourself may have said you are not particularly bothered about Coventry itself just CCFC at one point.

The OP only cares about Coventry full stop.
He is not too concerned about high Wycombe his concern is Coventry.

dongonzalos

No offence to you Coval but why even mention Wasps? They are nothing at all to do with anyone from Coventry. What is a fly half by the way?

They will be in less than two weeks
Otherwise we may as well ignore the ice hockey team as well

Users who are viewing this thread