A female's perspective on some of our fans (1 Viewer)

NortonSkyBlue

If you ask these guys "what they were playing at?" they would probably say "just having a bit of fun and its just banter"
Oucho's wife may also have written it off as banter and high jinks but obviously she took offence and based on the info given rightly so. I wonder how much of this behavior is taken for granted and is swept under the carpet? after all nobody was hurt and if she feels uncomfortable, well that's because she is too sensitive.
Your wife deserved better oucho.

ajsccfc

I can all but guarantee they'd class it as 'just banter', the realm of the cretin.

EDIT: jinx!

fatso

Took the mrs on Saturday, we are/were also planning to go to Cambridge a week on Sat and Luton in a few weeks' time. She seemed uncomfortable and distracted for much of the second half and on the way home she said she didn't want to go to Cambridge or Luton any more, had changed her mind. I'l lstill be going but she's not coming to another game until further notice now.

I let her calm down a bit as something had obviously gone down, but knowing her it is best to let her come out with it. Anyway, yesterday she tells me that during half time, when we were walking to the bar in the concourse with a few mates, a bloke behind her had grabbed her by the hips and "banged" her on the bum with his groin....then a few minutes later another bloke had grabbed her on the bum while were were having a few drinks.

She said that this sort of thing can be common in bars etc but she didn't say anything in case it kicked off and someone got punched (funnily enough some of the lads we were drinking with at half time were involved in the station scuffle, including the lad who bought me a pint who can be seen on the video getting punched), but I said to her that's not the point, me and the lads would have handled the situation by getting those two cretins chucked out. Yes it's up to her to call these people out (I obviously had no idea) if nobody else including stewards or police notice, but it's 2017 FFS, why can't people keep their hands to themselves??

She did say to me that she thought there was a rough edge on Sat that she hadn't seen before but it's a shame that a sometime fan has been put off from going to upcoming games due to the actions of some morons. If I see a dickhead doing that in future I won't hold back TBH

I feel sorry for your mrs, first you make her sit and watch that shit, and then she gets abused by some complete dickhead.
Seriously though,I've often tried to defend my home town from people who try and talk it, and it's inhabitants down, but in recent years I'm finding it harder and harder to find a reason too. All too often whenever I go out now, I'm confronted by moronic behaviour, and not always be younger people. It appears that there is a growing trend of unacceptable behaviour in public.
I realise this post makes me sound like an old fart, but trust me, I've come close to smacking one or two twats myself.

oucho

We spoke about it again today and she said yes, she felt intimidated but knew these lads were doing it just because they could get away with it scott-free. She says if she goes again to a game she will stay in the seating area and avoid the bar downstairs, but FFS she shouldn't have to, it's meant to be a free country, me and the lads have always enjoyed a half time beer and it's a shame if she can't feel like she can join in freely.

She says this sort of thing can be common in bars etc, there is no excuse even in that sort of environment but at least in a bar there's an equal mix of men/women and people do tent do go to meet, flirt, get attention, be seen it - that's not the case at Chesterfield away where she turned up in a jacket, jeans and t-shirt and joined me and lads for a half time drink. Pathetic. We have enough troubles attracting new fans (especially female fans) without this sort of behaviour which is offputting.

Moff

We spoke about it again today and she said yes, she felt intimidated but knew these lads were doing it just because they could get away with it scott-free. She says if she goes again to a game she will stay in the seating area and avoid the bar downstairs, but FFS she shouldn't have to, it's meant to be a free country, me and the lads have always enjoyed a half time beer and it's a shame if she can't feel like she can join in freely.

She says this sort of thing can be common in bars etc, there is no excuse even in that sort of environment but at least in a bar there's an equal mix of men/women and people do tent do go to meet, flirt, get attention, be seen it - that's not the case at Chesterfield away where she turned up in a jacket, jeans and t-shirt and joined me and lads for a half time drink. Pathetic. We have enough troubles attracting new fans (especially female fans) without this sort of behaviour which is offputting.

Really sad to hear this Oucho. Its fucking terrible on the part of those involved, mindless scum.
I hope she will join you again, because we need to encourage new fans, and no one, new or old fan, should ever be subject to such disgraceful treatment as she did. Thankfully ( I hope) this is just a mindless few, and it is not reflective of the general fan base.

lifeskyblue

Unacceptable and criminal behaviour. Needs to be dealt with as it will happen to someone else's wife, girlfriend, daughter again and again until it is stopped. However it isn't easy in a busy concourse to get evidence of the behaviour or identification of the perpetrators. I don't know what the answer is but this type of behaviour is increasingly common both inside and outside football. The danger is many female fans and their partners will increasingly be put off going and that means the morons win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Warwickshire lad

The way of the world I am afraid. Used to take my 10 yr old grandson but not now. Always had arsehole fans but never used to abuse their own like now. And unfortunately I am now to old to give em a good hiding

oucho

I seem to remember being taught at playschool that you keep your hands to yourself. Neither she nor me have ever grabbed someone else in this way, it's just wankerish behaviour.

smileycov

Facebook User

I'm gutted for you Rob, I met your lass as you know, was looking forward to Cambs and Luton taking the girls with us!! What a sad club we have become

oucho

I'm gutted for you Rob, I met your lass as you know, was looking forward to Cambs and Luton taking the girls with us!! What a sad club we have become
Don't worry, i am still going so still up for giving you a lift!

pusbccfc

Despite rarely drinking at away games myself, I am all for the drinking culture and added passion at away games, I feel it often adds to the atmosphere. Some people are frustrated by the language at away games and the constant standing, but I don't see that as a problem and would hate to see that go away.

However... sexism, racism, homophobia and bullyboy tactics are something which have no place in football and without doubt our club. Women and children should still feel safe at the football, and it's great to see many families at home and away matches.
What has happened to your girlfriend/wife is vile, wrong and a criminal offence. It is something that I feel is becoming more common in society, and something I see in nightclubs every weekend.

I hope you report it, these crimes are often left by women in fear of being judged. In some cases women don't see these incidents as wrong as they happen so often.

Grendel

Never mind shocking, appalling and embarrassing, it's fucking assault!!!!

In that bear pit it's not going to get reported though is it?

fernandopartridge

Took the mrs on Saturday, we are/were also planning to go to Cambridge a week on Sat and Luton in a few weeks' time. She seemed uncomfortable and distracted for much of the second half and on the way home she said she didn't want to go to Cambridge or Luton any more, had changed her mind. I'l lstill be going but she's not coming to another game until further notice now.

I let her calm down a bit as something had obviously gone down, but knowing her it is best to let her come out with it. Anyway, yesterday she tells me that during half time, when we were walking to the bar in the concourse with a few mates, a bloke behind her had grabbed her by the hips and "banged" her on the bum with his groin....then a few minutes later another bloke had grabbed her on the bum while were were having a few drinks.

She said that this sort of thing can be common in bars etc but she didn't say anything in case it kicked off and someone got punched (funnily enough some of the lads we were drinking with at half time were involved in the station scuffle, including the lad who bought me a pint who can be seen on the video getting punched), but I said to her that's not the point, me and the lads would have handled the situation by getting those two cretins chucked out. Yes it's up to her to call these people out (I obviously had no idea) if nobody else including stewards or police notice, but it's 2017 FFS, why can't people keep their hands to themselves??

She did say to me that she thought there was a rough edge on Sat that she hadn't seen before but it's a shame that a sometime fan has been put off from going to upcoming games due to the actions of some morons. If I see a dickhead doing that in future I won't hold back TBH

Dickhead behaviour.

Sky Blue Harry H

No excuses. Drink and mob together not a pleasant mixture. Hope Mrs Oucho is ok and realises the vast majority are fine. trouble is, it only takes a few, and they tend to attract each other's company, making themselves even me more distasteful.

SkyblueBri

Liquid Gold your post is spot on.
I have been a regular attendee of away games since the early 90s and have probably over 300 trips on the clock.
Over the last couple of years our fans have become more aggessive and abusive of opposition, stewards, police and worse of all 'us'. @ Oxford a drunk lad was pushed into a family group by his drunk mates and when the Dad objected he got turned upon.
The nearer the away game the worse it seems to be, I had great trips last year to Bolton, Bristol Rovers etc and despite the awful results the support was good and all seemed to enjoy a beer whilst behaving like decent people do.
We have a growing 'chav' element who behave as they like and are backed up their group. Maybe I'm simply getting old as now in late 40's but our away fans definitely changed over the last couple of years.
I don't do as many away games as I used to because I don't enjoy it as much. I like a beer but I have never persistently sworn in front of children or thrown beer on people who are standing around me!
I guess I am getting old :-(
I'm also old not just getting . Time was I was proud of our fans I remember Sutton away, queuing for chips. A old lady was obviously intimidated by us, but one of the Mad Hatters said you go in dear these are Coventry fans nothing to worry about!

CCFC54321

Apologies but I've read your initial post and I'm sick to my stomach at that animal behaviour.

Sorry if covered before but was there CCTV in the bar area? It's simply assault and the moron needs identifying and hauling in front of the courts.

Sick Boy

Sorry to hear that mate, and it's shocking how some sad desperate men behave. I don't think I would be able to control myself if it was my missus.

chiefdave

What the hell is happening to our fan base? There's always been the handful of idiot kids but in the last couple of seasons things seem to be getting worse quickly. People who are old enough to know better causing all sorts of bother.

Not sure how but it needs to be stamped out quickly before it spreads further. The general trouble is bad enough but to feel its fine to sexually assault someone in public is moving things in to a whole different area.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Disgusting behaviour Oucho , it needs reporting , the club needs know how some of the fans are behaving .
I know it won't be easy but couldn't the Mrs give a description of the person who committed the assault .
They should not be allowed to get away with it and if you see him again, you could point him out to a club steward at the Ricoh our to the police at away games , if you go to another away game of course , wouldn't blame you if you didn't .

Irish Sky Blue

Times have changed for the worse. I remember when first going up the City on a few occasions older blokes remonstrating with younger ones who swore in front of women or children. Do that now and you would be ridiculed and abused yourself. At Yeovil I was stood in front of some young bloke who must have used the f word once in every 3 words that he spoke. All of this vitriol aimed at the players he was supposed to be supporting. Far worse however and what I have never heard of before what is essentially a sexual assault on a lady attending a game.It makes you wonder why football seems to attract the dregs of society in a way that other sports don't. You can understand why some have given up the ghost and simply don't go.

lifeskyblue

I don't mind a little bad language but do object when it is persistent (especially) the 'f' and 'c' words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty

Bunch of arseholes, completely unacceptable behaviour.

Was anybody else right behind the goal Saturday? Someone spat 2 or 3 times from the back of the stand on the fans nearer the front.

The behaviour from some of our fans has got considerably worse the past couple of seasons.

Gazolba

It's all part and parcel of why fans are abandoning attending football matches.
You would think football clubs would be encouraging whole families to go.
It's one of the reasons why pubs are closing and going out of business white eateries are opening up and expanding.
There is more profit in serving a whole family than one drunken guy.
Make sure you write a letter to the club explaining what happened and why they have lost a paying customer. They need to know.

Skybluefaz

Dickhead lad pack mentality. The thing is, it's not just working class footy fans. Read about the culture at uber if you want another horrible insight into male dick headery. Of course we're not all like that, it seems it will be a while until we get rid of this section who think they are above decency and equality though.

There were two young scumbags behind me who took the seats of a bloke with his young son at HT and wouldn't move
One of them was intimidating a bloke in his 60's who remonstrated with him. I was with my Mrs who's scared of everything so I couldn't say anything or she'd have flipped. It's only a few but they are low lifes
I was sat one seat down from you and your Mrs I think with my 17 year old son. They were utter morons behind us and I'm sure I heard the guy in his 60's say that the bloke with the son who had their seats taken were the Uncle and Cousin of our new defender Tom Davies. If true, what a first impression to have of our fans....

pusbccfc

What the hell is happening to our fan base? There's always been the handful of idiot kids but in the last couple of seasons things seem to be getting worse quickly. People who are old enough to know better causing all sorts of bother.

Not sure how but it needs to be stamped out quickly before it spreads further. The general trouble is bad enough but to feel its fine to sexually assault someone in public is moving things in to a whole different area.

The shite on the pitch has meant going to a Coventry away match being literally a piss up and a piss up only for a large number.

oucho

No excuses. Drink and mob together not a pleasant mixture. Hope Mrs Oucho is ok and realises the vast majority are fine. trouble is, it only takes a few, and they tend to attract each other's company, making themselves even me more distasteful.
It's put her off, that's for sure.

Hobo

Next time she should go where she likes and if she is subjected to same behaviour should start shouting, "Oi, Dick Head Pervert, get your hands off my arse."

Never be a silent victim.

Users who are viewing this thread