A couple of weeks later....poll (1 Viewer)

Will we be in contention at the end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paxman II

Over 85% agreed we would be in the play off's two weeks ago. What's the view now?

letsallsingtogether

Who knows?
Come back in two weeks and ask us again.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

At this very second no, but 6 points for City by 5pm Saturday I may thing again!

We just need a 5/6 game unbeaten run to turn the momentum back again, as fast as we are going backwards Barnsley are going at the same speed the other way.

Scunthorpe in 15th win their game
In hand they're only 5 points off the play offs.

Otis

Over 85% agreed we would be in the play off's two weeks ago. What's the view now?
Ask me again after Blackpool and Shrewsbury. I would say we need 4 points from these 2 games to still be in contention.

Lose both and it's all over I think. We could easily be 6 points behind and I think then with our woeful run (that would be 5 defeats on the bounce) it would be the end of our hopes.

Sure, it would still be doable, but we would be at an all time low, on a relegation run of form, demoralised and well and truly beaten.

Think we'd need to be made of much sterner stuff to recover from that.

Decent haul from the next 2 games and we are still in it. Lose both and it's goodnight Vienna.

I am already predicting another defeat Tuesday however, so not a good start. I predict a defeat because though we all pretty much know we need to change our set up, we all pretty much know Mowbray won't do it.

Londonccfcfan

Ask me again after Blackpool and Shrewsbury. I would say we need 4 points from these 2 games to still be in contention.

Lose both and it's all over I think. We could easily be 6 points behind and I think then with our woeful run (that would be 5 defeats on the bounce) it would be the end of our hopes.

Sure, it would still be doable, but we would be at an all time low, on a relegation run of form, demoralised and well and truly beaten.

Decent haul from the next 2 games and we are still in it. Lose both and it's goodnight Vienna.

I am already predicting another defeat Tuesday however, so not a good start. I predict a defeat because though we all pretty much know we need to change our set up, we all pretty much know Mowbray won't do it.

Cant disagree with you much!

Gint11

Win the next 2 and we are back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paxman II

Agree with you O but the point of the poll is how you think in this moment not after the next two. So vote!

Otis

Really hard! If I knew TM was not going to change anything and just believes it will just all turn round, playing exactly the same system as we are, I would say no, no chance of play-offs.

I do still think we have an excellent chance of making, but ONLY if we change the way we play.

If you're asking me today and it being on the assumption that TM WON'T change anything, then nope, we won't make it.

Teams now know exactly how to set up against us and how to close us down and snuffle us out. Been shown time and time and time again.

Mowbray now needs to sit down, think long and hard about where it has gone wrong, come to the same reliasation as us fans and put into place one of these other adapted ways of playing, which he quite clearly said early in the season we would have to do at some point.

Would be very reasonable and rational for us to believe he has been working on these plan B's in training.

Paxman II

Are you sure it's all down to the way we play and the opposition working us out though? Burton have had the same method all season and has not done them any harm. What I see is a loss of form. Players not producing their best games as they were earlier. Changing the way we play is also a big risk. I don't think we have the right pedigree of players in the squad to change things dramatically. Henderson or Tudgay up top approach means you are asking players who have barely shown themselves match ready to make a difference. I think we can tinker with the current teams approach and tactics slightly such as bringing Fleck much more forward and put Rose in the defensive role. make sure the wing backs are producing crosses into the box. At this level it can be reasoned we don't need a big lump up top but pace and quick feet such as Arma getting to those panicked defenders. To play the big lump up top will mean changing the whole system of our play with just a dozen games left and I just don't think we have the players to adapt to it.

Otis

Are you sure it's all down to the way we play and the opposition working us out though? Burton have had the same method all season and has not done them any harm. What I see is a loss of form. Players not producing their best games as they were earlier. Changing the way we play is also a big risk. I don't think we have the right pedigree of players in the squad to change things dramatically. Henderson or Tudgay up top approach means you are asking players who have barely shown themselves match ready to make a difference. I think we can tinker with the current teams approach and tactics slightly such as bringing Fleck much more forward and put Rose in the defensive role. make sure the wing backs are producing crosses into the box. At this level it can be reasoned we don't need a big lump up top but pace and quick feet such as Arma getting to those panicked defenders. To play the big lump up top will mean changing the whole system of our play with just a dozen games left and I just don't think we have the players to adapt to it.
Yes! Am positive it's down to the way we play. You only need to go up to the games and watch us.

1. We rarely get good balls in from the flanks and for the most part try and play our way through teams straight down the middle. We do pass the ball out wide to Stokes, but it invariably comes straight back inside again. Teams know how we play and crowd the centre field out.

2. Armstrong isn't out of form, we are just not supporting him enough. Feed him in good positions and he will score.

3. Teams are double marking Armstrong, sometimes triple marking him.

4. Yes, Murphy is out of form, but opposition teams and now being much more physical with him and Maddison and Lameiras.

I would say Stokes and Vincelot and Armstrong all pretty much still in the same form, apart from the odd game here and there. Cole is consistently putting in the same sorts of performances (be that good or bad, but no change).

For me the two players badly out of form are Ricketts and Murphy and that's about it. To what degree Murphy is out of form and to what degree it is teams nullifying him I am not too sure.

5. Teams have countered the way we play and set out to nullify us. This has worked.

6. We always play from the back. Many teams now press us high up the pitch and stop us from playing the way we want to play.

7. As we play Armstrong as a loan single striker we have no aerial threat at all. Any long high balls are swallowed up by the opposition. This then leads us into having to keep playing as per point no. 6 and the balls from the back, because there is nothing else. This is then a catch 22 scenario.

8. When we are closed down quickly and harried our passing game tends to go astray.

9. Teams know Ricketts isn't the quickest, so target our right flank as a position to get some joy from.

Seems totally clear to me that this is just not us 'out of form' but that of teams studying our game plan and countering that, to which we are struggling to find an answer

Let's not confuse Armstrong's quiet games with him being out of form. It's just us not getting the ball to him, or supporting him.

On Saturday we left him alone in the box 3 times when we were on the attack.

Otis

Would say however, we ARE now out of form and low of confidence.

You can't say that is the case since November however. We can't just have been out of form since November.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Paxman II

i understand that O but as i said just because you play a certain way does not mean the opposition should be able to work that out and dominate you from doing so? As I said Burton are still grinding away the same as are many others. they have not changed their game because it's usually strong enough no matter how oppositions set up. Not all oppositions are capable of simply setting up one way to play us either or they too would get disjointed.
I never mentioned any particular players being out of form. Arma is clearly still in form ready and willing and so are one or two others you point out but would agree confidence has dipped due to lack of success and this leads to poorer play from individuals. Stokes has been great but Saturday he was way off his normal self as were others.

As I have said a bit of tinkering and bring Fleck forward more etc and as you say they are pressing us back. But that is down to how we should be performing against it as much as changing our complete formation and personnel to another system.

From what I'm getting from you O you want us to put the big man up front and go 4-4-2? Not sure that's the answer personally. For me just better awareness from our own players and an improvement in personal form will see a big difference.
If we played the big guy up front how would you see us lining up?

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
for me its 6 points this weekend or bust theres too many teams around us to win one and lose one, as otis said we lose both games were finished with the playoffs and it be a mid table finish.

Otis

i understand that O but as i said just because you play a certain way does not mean the opposition should be able to work that out and dominate you from doing so? As I said Burton are still grinding away the same as are many others. they have not changed their game because it's usually strong enough no matter how oppositions set up. Not all oppositions are capable of simply setting up one way to play us either or they too would get disjointed.
I never mentioned any particular players being out of form. Arma is clearly still in form ready and willing and so are one or two others you point out but would agree confidence has dipped due to lack of success and this leads to poorer play from individuals. Stokes has been great but Saturday he was way off his normal self as were others.

As I have said a bit of tinkering and bring Fleck forward more etc and as you say they are pressing us back. But that is down to how we should be performing against it as much as changing our complete formation and personnel to another system.

From what I'm getting from you O you want us to put the big man up front and go 4-4-2? Not sure that's the answer personally. For me just better awareness from our own players and an improvement in personal form will see a big difference.
If we played the big guy up front how would you see us lining up?
Very key point there. Burton still grinding out results because their game plan is strong enough.

I would say that clearly ours is not.

Yep, I would go 4-4-2. Not a total switch, but probably tomorrow night. Show Shrewsbury something they are not expecting and show that we can adapt our game. We need to alter our game plan and tactics during games too if we are losing and chasing matches.

We need to make the opposition think that we have more than one ace up our sleeve. At the moment we are far too one dimensional and easy to read.

Gazolba

I'm still saying we'll make the play-offs (but not get promoted) because if I don't I may as well stop posting here and go into hibernation till the summer.

Paxman II

I think overall we can all agree we are looking for something different to be done on the pitch that will help us re kindle our spark and prove there is another way of doing this, even if that isn't wholesale change.

With that I'll go 4-4-2 with Otis, just not sure about having a big lump up top and it shouldn't mean that necessarily. We had some success when Arma played with Murphy up top and we have not done so since?

Will be very interesting to see how our thoughts are transpired onto the pitch tomorrow night when TM ought to be showing us how wrong we all are! So here's hoping....

4waspsting

Lets all go with the Vote of now we can concentrate on the league, when we got knocked out of all the cup competitions by low life, thats when it all went tits up, warwick hunt.

bringbackrattles

Win tonight and at Blackpool season well and truly up and running again,but lose them both that'll be five on the trot and that is relegation form.Simple really just start winning football matches beginning tonight. I think it was the great Brian Clough who said that football is a simple game,but Coventry City always make it bloody complicated !

Users who are viewing this thread