8th signing incoming? (2 Viewers)

AFCCOVENTRY

Andy Turner has hinted a busy day to come for CCFC today. Another signing to be announced?

Reactions: TTG

TTG

No, thank u next

TTG

Twitter i guess

Otis

Busy day? Could just as easily be out instead of in. Or both.

Willis and Bayliss gone?

cooperskyblue

End of current contract?

Half of our signings end of current contract is then and we have announced them already. Like Boddy said last week he hadn't signed with anyone, but I do feel that this Pask signing may well mean he is going to go now.

SkyBlueCRJ

Hopefully we get rid of a few

Agreed. I have a feeling before a striker comes in we'll need to get rid of a few to make room in the budget - assuming we're looking to invest in an established striker that is.
Ponticelli: Loaned out
Bakayoko/Chaplin: I'm guessing one of the two will be sold
Allassani: Probably moved on
Maycock: Moved on or loaned out
Bosma: Assuming he'll be let go if he hasn't been already
Brown: Personally can see him being moved on but we'll see
Thompson: Loaned out

SkyBlueDom26

Agreed. I have a feeling before a striker comes in we'll need to get rid of a few to make room in the budget - assuming we're looking to invest in an established striker that is.
Agree with all them! Think were only a winger, CAM and a striker away from challenging for the top 2

skybluegod

Personnaly i would sell Poni, and give Brown a pre-season, agree on the rest. Would also consider a short-term loan for Williams/Drysdale (until January) to get them some game time..

Winny the Bish

I'd give Allassani a chance in preseason, he has a bit about him. Agree with the rest.

SkyBlueCRJ

Personnaly i would sell Poni, and give Brown a pre-season, agree on the rest. Would also consider a short-term loan for Williams/Drysdale (until January) to get them some game time..

Ponti had bad luck last season with injury so I wouldn't write him off just yet. I still think a full season under his belt would genuinely kick start his career so I think he should go on loan - perhaps to a national league side for 6 months to see how he gets on.

Yeah I think whether Brown stays or not will be based on his pre-season. Not sure if his departure would warrant another body coming in. I suppose MR will make a judgement on whether McCallum is (at this stage) good enough to feature regularly next season. (I didn't see him play last season so correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm sure they will as no doubt Pask will probably drop down into the U23's from time to time to keep sharp, which means Fardon won't be left short in that position.

Last edited:

SkyBlueCRJ

I'd give Allassani a chance in preseason, he has a bit about him. Agree with the rest.

He looks like an exciting player, I just wonder if League One is just a step too far for him. I suppose MR will probably take a view on him during pre-season.

skybluegod

Ponti had bad luck last season with injury so I wouldn't write him off just yet. I still think a full season under his belt would genuinely kick start his career so I think he should go on loan - perhaps to a national league side for 6 months to see how he gets on.

Yeah I think whether Brown stays or not will be based on his pre-season. Not sure if his departure would warrant another body coming in. I suppose MR will make a judgement on whether McCallum is (at this stage) good enough to feature regularly next season. (I didn't see him play last season so correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm sure they probably will as no doubt Pask will probably drop down into the U23's from time to time to keep sharp, which means Fardon won't be left short in that position.

I agree he had bad luck, but he's never going to get a look in, i don't see him having a career in league one, but i might be wrong, but even so i can't see him doing it in the championship which is realistically where we want to be. I expect as you said we will want to bring in a new Striker, so even then he still has 4/5 players ahead of him...

Chaplin at Ponti's age had already made 90 appearances and scored 20 ish goals.. He is also only a year older... Yet he seems to be written off by some sections of our fans, and Ponti who has done considerably less doesn't... I hope he does well, but think for the sake of his career he needs to go and play and be settled.

I doubt their would be a replacement for Brown if he goes, Robins rates Mccallum highly and having seen him when he played last season, while raw, there is no point in blocking his pathway, as I think he can step in when needed.

Liquid Gold

I agree he had bad luck, but he's never going to get a look in, i don't see him having a career in league one, but i might be wrong, but even so i can't see him doing it in the championship which is realistically where we want to be. I expect as you said we will want to bring in a new Striker, so even then he still has 4/5 players ahead of him...

Chaplin at Ponti's age had already made 90 appearances and scored 20 ish goals.. He is also only a year older... Yet he seems to be written off by some sections of our fans, and Ponti who has done considerably less doesn't... I hope he does well, but think for the sake of his career he needs to go and play and be settled.

I doubt their would be a replacement for Brown if he goes, Robins rates Mccallum highly and having seen him when he played last season, while raw, there is no point in blocking his pathway, as I think he can step in when needed.
Agree with that, if/when Brown is moved on I'd rather his wages were used up front (Bright).

SkyBlueCRJ

I'd agree but that isn't necessarily the be all and end all. What if Ponti is loaned out at League Two/National League and is successful? Considering strikers are in demand and factoring in Ponti's age, there's no doubt the club would receive a few decent bids for his services. So where's the value in selling him now? We may as well keep him for the time being see how he does with a full season under his belt first. Especially as the club has invested both time and money in developing him since he was brought in. Obviously if he doesn't perform or suffers another injury hit campaign then that probably would result in us moving him on, but to sell him now would just be pointless.

I think the main issue with Chaplin is that he doesn't seem to fit MR's style of play. That combined with his lack of form and his price tag, it's not that surprising that he's been written off but a section of our fanbase. I'm undecided to be honest. If we managed to receive a bid that matched what we payed for him then I certainly wouldn't object but if not, I'd keep him on.

Perryccfc

I’m surprised when I see people mentioning a striker. Personally can’t see us signing a striker. We have Baka Chaplin and with Biamou coming back I think that’s enough. Can see maybe another attacking winger but can’t see a striker arriving.

edgy

I’m surprised when I see people mentioning a striker. Personally can’t see us signing a striker. We have Baka Chaplin and with Biamou coming back I think that’s enough. Can see maybe another attacking winger but can’t see a striker arriving.

It's not enough, as last season proved. Chaplin was supposed to be McNulty's replacement. Biamou and Baka wont play together. It didnt work. We still need to replace him.

bawtryneal

It's not enough, as last season proved. Chaplin was supposed to be McNulty's replacement. Biamou and Baka wont play together. It didnt work. We still need to replace him.

Biamou will not be fit for first team until November/December
A third of the season is gone by then.

SkyBlueCRJ

Baffled by the not needing a striker post. The lowest scoring team in the top 6 (Doncaster) scored 76 goals last season - 22 goals more than us. It's the one area where we seriously struggled last season and why we failed at achieving a play-off spot. Our 'goals for' last season were actually relatively consistent with those who were relegated if you really want to put it into perspective.

superskyblue

Pretty sure Robins has suggested in the press he's looking for a goalscorer. When he did that whole thing about Marquis setting the standard.

rob9872

The caveats to a new striker are that Chaplin was on-off for so long and didn't hit the ground running - a full pre-season with the squad could make the difference. Hiwula scored a lot more consistently late in the season, Bright added goals if he comes back and of course we have Max to add into the mix who whilst not prolific was scoring more frequently the end of the L2 season and creates a lot of space and goals for others. I'm not saying don't sign one, but we need to move a couple on if we do.

Nick

Administrator
It also depends on what system he wants to play.

He can't play Hiwula as number 9, he isn't that kind of player.

Users who are viewing this thread