87 stories (1 Viewer)

The Lurker

anyone got any stories of the day?

Funny or just memories? Be good to hear. Love watching the vintage videos of the city fans en route to Wembley that day

clint van damme

Nothing out of the ordinary happened to us really. Went to London, drank in Covent Garden , watched City win the cup, came home on cloud 9!
Love the old photos and vids as well, some serious clobber and haircuts!

W

westcountry_skyblue

Got the special train from Cov,Train got stopped in or around Cov for an hour or so due to vandalism on the line ran from Wembley Central to the stadium and got in as abide with me was being sang.
Great day apart from that stood right at the back behind the goal,Great view of Houchens header too!!

Sky_Blue_Daz

There was some great footage on you tube from a coach party going from the shepherd and shepherdess but it’s been taken down

Cranfield Sky Blue

Couldn’t go. New baby. New wife. No money and no access to tickets. Woke the boy up 3 times as we scored. Cried like a baby at the end. (Me not the boy). Wife consigned to history but will be with the boy on Friday. 31 year old boy now!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

My memory of the day is we won the FA CUP.
giphy.gif

Sky Blue Harry H

Didn't even stress when Spurs scored early on. Saw Gary Gillespie (then Liverpool) on a coach outside Wembley wearing a City scarf, saw a petrified gay DJ announce '3 cheers for Coventry' as 2 coach loads of City fans piled into some 'disco' in a village in the middle of nowhere. My mates old man (now deceased) doing the Mexican wave on the coach travelling back aged 75plus, with a silly grin on his face. Loads more (including a local lad jumping the turnstiles without a ticket to get in). Happy memories

Sky_Blue_Daz

My dad had a pub just outside the city centre, he ran a couple of coaches from the pub on semi final day and all week leading up to the match he told me i never had a ticket and the Saturday evening I went into my bedroom and my ticket was on my bed I was Chuffed.
Anyway in the lead up to the final he ran 2 coaches and told me he never had a ticket I was convinced he was going to pull the same trick , but he never . The coaches fecked off with my dad and brother so I g and laughing and I stayed at home with me mum:D

rupert_bear

I have two both attached to the semi. First one was the day before we went for dinner at my better halfs workmates who’s husband is a right prick and as tight as gnats chuff. When he found out I was going he blabbed on about wasting money when it was on telly going on and on and got right on my threepenny bits. Couldn’t really twat him one, anyway next day, a Sunday, off to Sheffield and we all know the result. Some will remember that the game wasn’t shown live but an hour behind something to do with the Lords Day observance act bull shit, the laws changed since. Walking to the car passed a telephone box and couldn’t resist phoning him , his young daughter answered and I told her to tell daddy the final score. Apparently he was well pissed off and trying to find out who spoilt his day.

The second on the way back from Sheffield we got to the Coventry end of the M6 and cars were starting to jam back from the Walsgrave turning, the police sent us left down the M6 towards junction one, then back up the M6 to relieve the queues so we had cars, coaches and vans dozens of them and people with their heads out the sunroofs or windows cheering and shouting going down the motorway towards Rugby and back up towards Cov, alongside our car was a car with 4 nuns in looking puzzled, nervous and a bit alarmed. With a van load of nutters the other side cheering, mooning and showing other bits and pieces, poor devils must have been in confession for a month afterwards.

Last edited:
W

westcountry_skyblue

Who remembers sleeping outside inside highfield road on the Sunday night ready to get their ticket on the Monday morning?
None of this ticketmaster crap and phone lark!!

wantageskyblue

Me and 2 mates went down to London on Friday to make a weekend of it. We wanted to do tour of Wembley as soon as we arrived and got train from Euston to Wembley Central. On that journey we were mugged in broad daylight on a fairly busy train by 3 black lads, one of whom stuck a knife in my side to ‘encourage’ me to hand over my wallet, which I did.

He took £100 (which was a lot of money back then) from me but gave me back my wallet, which bizarrely was a result as it still had my ticket in it! Went back to leamington that evening and got a coach back to London on day of final.

Enjoyed the day (although probably still in state of shock) and then went to Cov on the Sunday for the bus parade plus a few beers. Got back to leamington that evening and was violently ill which I guess was triggered by delayed shock.

Funny, I had pretty much blanked all of that out until this thread...

wingy

Me and 2 mates went down to London on Friday to make a weekend of it. We wanted to do tour of Wembley as soon as we arrived and got train from Euston to Wembley Central. On that journey we were mugged in broad daylight on a fairly busy train by 3 black lads, one of whom stuck a knife in my side to ‘encourage’ me to hand over my wallet, which I did.

He took £100 (which was a lot of money back then) from me but gave me back my wallet, which bizarrely was a result as it still had my ticket in it! Went back to leamington that evening and got a coach back to London on day of final.

Enjoyed the day (although probably still in state of shock) and then went to Cov on the Sunday for the bus parade plus a few beers. Got back to leamington that evening and was violently ill which I guess was triggered by delayed shock.

Funny, I had pretty much blanked all of that out until this thread...
That was a shitter.

rob9872

Went with Central coaches from Leamington - coach stopped at the Granada services to add some of the other coach who had broken down and couldn't get a replacement in time (they stood the rest of the way, would never be allowed now!) Saw Dietmar Bruckheimer in there but had no idea who he was, just remember my dad talking about him, probably how I sound now about Dion and Hucks to my daughter. Queued up to get in, stood up behind the goal and just remember everyone hugging people they didn' know. Wish I was a bit older to have taken more in at the time but still some very clear happy memories.

rob9872

Also remember even though we were on the Leaminton coach, we all came back in convoy via Cov and the streets were lined cheering the coaches back home in Walsgrave/Wyken area.

rupert_bear

The thing is with the cup final day almost everything was spontaneous you had the day itself, travelling down, getting to Wembley about 8.30 far too early but there was loads of Sky Blue there wandering round and just soaking up the occasion, no Spurs around until about 1, no aggro, the game obviously, the car park afterwards. We grabbed Jimmy Greaves for a photo as he walked passed who despite being ex-Spurs was genuinely happy we’d won. Then the journey back up the M1 from about Luton onwards every bridge had people on applauding some with banners and scarves an amazing site, and then the journey from Walsgrave into town with thousands lining the streets decked out in alsorts of regalia including dogs with scarves on and on to the Sunday, the team toured the city on the open top bus a never to be forgotten time. When that lot up the M69 won the Premiership the other year I have to admit I was pleased for them and a little envious of what was a great achievement but winning the FA Cup isn’t a better achievement but the unprepared off the cuff spontaneous celebrations was something else, no spoilers health and safety shite or old Bill in the way nothing but genuine joy and happiness.

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

Went with Central coaches from Leamington - coach stopped at the Granada services to add some of the other coach who had broken down and couldn't get a replacement in time (they stood the rest of the way, would never be allowed now!) Saw Dietmar Bruckheimer in there but had no idea who he was, just remember my dad talking about him, probably how I sound now about Dion and Hucks to my daughter. Queued up to get in, stood up behind the goal and just remember everyone hugging people they didn' know. Wish I was a bit older to have taken more in at the time but still some very clear happy memories.

I was on the central coach that broke down at scratchwood services. My Dad waited for another coach (sounds like yours) my cousin and I cadged a lift off three fans we found in the car park. They were wearing skyblue and white scarves but it turned out they were Tottenham fans. To be honest they were top quality and thought we were a decent side but that they’d win comfortably “especially if we score early”.

When we got to the ground we discovered our tickets (Bham FA) were in the Tottenham end! Our second piece of unbelievable luck was that we somehow found two Spurs fans with tickets for our end (stamped from West Ham Utd) and simply swapped them. Never occurred to us (or them) that they could be forgeries.

eastwoodsdustman

I was 16 at the time and went to every game in the cup run including Old Trafford on my own when i was still 15. Anyhow me and my mates arranged to sleep over at HR and get cup final tickets but I'd been really ill with a chest infection that week and my mum and dad stopped me from staying out.
I got up really early and joined the queue and waited for hours. Got nearer to the front and rumours were abound that they'd sold out. 10 minutes later and still waiting. More rumours were going round that there weren't left. Edging closer to the front I knew that I was cutting it fine whether I'd get one.
I think there were no more than a handful left when I got my ticket but I was absolutely shitting it that I'd not get one.
I remember getting on the train on the way home and I was still full of resentment for people who'd jumped on the bandwagon just to get final tickets. Some bloke in his 50's said something about our 'black number 7' I think he called him. I flew at him and gave him a right gobfull about how he'd stopped a real fan going and how he didn't deserve to be there.
Other things I remember were lads climbing up the turrets at the ground to sneak in. Some of them were 30/40 feet up from the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread