86/87 shirt (1 Viewer)

junglej13

Currently on ebay. Absolute beauty. The proper Triple S one with sponsor. About ten days left. Bidding stands at £340.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Now £430.

Interesting shirt as it has an embroidered badge, number 16 on the reverse and a shirt sponsor on the front.

The shirt is embroidered. The first team shirts were embroidered and the replicas had a heat applied printed badge.

The shirt for sale is '16'. 1986 was before 'squad numbers' and match shirts generally went up to 14 (11 starters and two subs, with unlucky 13 normally being omitted). None of the competitions the first team played in during the 1986-87 season (League, League Cup, Full Members Cup, FA Cup) needed a 16 shirt. Of course, some pre-season friendlies used more than 13 players, but as we started 1986-87 without a shirt sponsor and this shirt has one so can it be from one of those games?

The above having been said, the number is the correct font, it has been sewn directly to the back of the shirt and we did play with shirts with numbers like this during the season. For the FA Cup matches the shirts had numbers on big white patches (I think this was to make the numbers clearer on TV).

The shirt sponsor is red writing on a white background, we did play in shirts with the sponsor in that format - but only for a very limited number of games. The initial sponsor was blue writing on a white background (Granada Social Clubs) and all of the FA Cup game were white writing on a red background (initially Granada Social Clubs and then Granada Bingo).

It's a really unusual shirt and you have to wonder what it's full story is (perhaps it's a youth team shirt). I think it must be even rarer than those Hummel shirts that were made in the wrong blue (royal blue instead of sky blue) that Tony Britton had before the start of the 1987-88 season.

Fergusons_Beard

Now £430.

Interesting shirt as it has an embroidered badge, number 16 on the reverse and a shirt sponsor on the front.

The shirt is embroidered. The first team shirts were embroidered and the replicas had a heat applied printed badge.

The shirt for sale is '16'. 1986 was before 'squad numbers' and match shirts generally went up to 14 (11 starters and two subs, with unlucky 13 normally being omitted). None of the competitions the first team played in during the 1986-87 season (League, League Cup, Full Members Cup, FA Cup) needed a 16 shirt. Of course, some pre-season friendlies used more than 13 players, but as we started 1986-87 without a shirt sponsor and this shirt has one so can it be from one of those games?

The above having been said, the number is the correct font, it has been sewn directly to the back of the shirt and we did play with shirts with numbers like this during the season. For the FA Cup matches the shirts had numbers on big white patches (I think this was to make the numbers clearer on TV).

The shirt sponsor is red writing on a white background, we did play in shirts with the sponsor in that format - but only for a very limited number of games. The initial sponsor was blue writing on a white background (Granada Social Clubs) and all of the FA Cup game were white writing on a red background (initially Granada Social Clubs and then Granada Bingo).

It's a really unusual shirt and you have to wonder what it's full story is (perhaps it's a youth team shirt). I think it must be even rarer than those Hummel shirts that were made in the wrong blue (royal blue instead of sky blue) that Tony Britton had before the start of the 1987-88 season.

Great read that-cheers for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread