8 Points From The Last 4 Games... (1 Viewer)

st john

..... Is not too shoddy, considering we are supposed to be in a bad patch.
Looking back I think most people will see the 2 mistakes against Doncaster followed by the Sheffield game as our low point to date, if only because they were consecutive games. Prior to those 2 games we took 10 points from the previous 4 games making it a 19 point haul from the last 10 games.
Meanwhile Burton have taken 25 points from their last 10, and Walsall have taken 20 points, 1 more point than us, and Gillingham have taken 19, the same as us.
I can't see Burton keeping this form up to the end of the season somehow, they haven't had a bad patch yet, and seem to have stayed relatively injury-free.

skybluelee

And lets not forget we only lost the Sheffield United match due to some outrageously incompetent officiating. Otherwise we'd currently be on a 16 match unbeaten run. I wish we had bad patches like this more often. :)

bawtryneal

And lets not forget we only lost the Sheffield United match due to some outrageously incompetent officiating. Otherwise we'd currently be on a 16 match unbeaten run. I wish we had bad patches like this more often. :)

Thats a really good point. No way should we have lost at SUFC. We scored a genuine goal and, as you say, would make it unbeaten in 16.

Samo

..... Is not too shoddy, considering we are supposed to be in a bad patch.
Looking back I think most people will see the 2 mistakes against Doncaster followed by the Sheffield game as our low point to date, if only because they were consecutive games. Prior to those 2 games we took 10 points from the previous 4 games making it a 19 point haul from the last 10 games.
Meanwhile Burton have taken 25 points from their last 10, and Walsall have taken 20 points, 1 more point than us, and Gillingham have taken 19, the same as us.
I can't see Burton keeping this form up to the end of the season somehow, they haven't had a bad patch yet, and seem to have stayed relatively injury-free.

You can draw the line where you will and spew out a stat accordingly.... 3 points from the last 1 game, title form! Having said that, if Nov/Dec was our blip it wasn't a bad one... only the one loss as you say, and that the mugging at Sheff U.

st john

You can draw the line where you will and spew out a stat accordingly.... 3 points from the last 1 game, title form! Having said that, if Nov/Dec was our blip it wasn't a bad one... only the one loss as you say, and that the mugging at Sheff U.

That's right, and that's the point. To have a realistic chance of auto promotion you have to average about 2 points per game over the whole season. We are currently doing almost that over 25 games since the season started (3 points short - which can be corrected without too much concern). To my way of thinking a definition of a slump in form would significantly alter that average points haul, which hasn't happened.

Specs WT-R75

8 points from Crewe, Chesterfield, Oldham and Vale was the bare minimum. Obviously if we don't take 4 points from the next 2 then those dropped points at Oldham, Chesterfield & Blunts will come back to haunt us.

ps1948

I would agree that the 2 points thrown away at the end of the Oldham game might come back to haunt us, but having seen Chesterfield's result today, that either means we didn't do too badly there, or that we should very much look forward to the Shrewsbury game.........

Hobo

Or 7 from the last 9 points isn't shoddy. It's a game at a time and today we won 5-0 away....the game that matters most is the next one and that is how it will be for the rest of the season. Look forwards not backwards.

rupert_bear

Losing those 2 points v Oldham still wrangles but then if we are honest perhaps Port Vale were a bit unlucky to lose. I look at every fixture now and expect to win, certainly not lose. There will be hiccups along the way but with at least a couple of new additions and then Loranssen and Rose to come in we are on a strong position for the rest of the season.

Grendel

The cracks are beginning to show....

I can guarantee that Mowbray will be concerned at the amount of chances that Crewe had.

Make no mistake if we don't get promoted this season that will almost certainly be the chance gone. I would guess Wigan will consider a management change and certainly will look to strengthen.

The fact that Burton are top shows this is not a strong league.

We have areas in defence that need strengthening. If we don't we won't achieve promotion.

8 points from the last 4 games is what we would expect against the opposition we have faced.

covcity4life

Next week will show us where we are i guess. If largely same defence plays those 2 games and gets 4 pts i guess new defenders isn't quite as important as we thought it might be

Still need a cb no doubt but Haynes and Phillips have a chance to show us and manager we don't need more fullbacks

Would be a nice bonus if they pass the teat but I cant say I know if they got what it takes or not

Hobo

It is a fine line between success and disappointment....Sheffield United and Oldham illustrate that. The key is how you respond to setbacks and we have done okay in the last three. As for Crewe you can only beat what is in front of you 0-5 is not shoddy in anybody's book. Perhaps we rode our luck at times but you can't get hung up on the if buts and may bed. There will always be a what if?

wingy

Next week will show us where we are i guess. If largely same defence plays those 2 games and gets 4 pts i guess new defenders isn't quite as important as we thought it might be

Still need a cb no doubt but Haynes and Phillips have a chance to show us and manager we don't need more fullbacks

Would be a nice bonus if they pass the teat but I cant say I know if they got what it takes or not
We really have been unlucky with the CB injuries but the performance of Stokes and the young lads over the last two games has been a huge bonus IMO

fernandopartridge

It is a fine line between success and disappointment....Sheffield United and Oldham illustrate that. The key is how you respond to setbacks and we have done okay in the last three. As for Crewe you can only beat what is in front of you 0-5 is not shoddy in anybody's book. Perhaps we rode our luck at times but you can't get hung up on the if buts and may bed. There will always be a what if?
The thing is you see other teams winning 5-0 and automatically assume it was as one sided as the scoreline suggests. As we know it's not always the case.

AFCCOVENTRY

Beating Walsall and Burton is a must.

Anything less is a fail in my eyes. It's automatic promotion we want. Play offs are just too risky and if you don't win can really upset the boat for next season.

Samo

Anything less is a fail in my eyes. It's automatic promotion we want. Play offs are just too risky and if you don't win can really upset the boat for next season.

Yup, lets have it!

Grendel

Walsall is the biggest one as victory would take us up to 3rd - a draw against Burton would then be ok.

I agree though promotion from this position is a must.

wingy

All bases covered for the push we require one other effective striker to supplement AA assuming the paperwork gets sorted, one CB. Two wins in the next two games will just about redress the damage done over the last few games since going top and 4?points clear to 4?points behind.

SkyBlueAussie

Am I right in thinking that if Wigan beat Gillingham then if we win the next two games we go top?

Think both Walsall and Burton have appointed new managers well without much of a blip. Clough knows Burton well and O'Driscoll is someone who seems to do well and knows the lower leagues. I'd be happy to continue our unbeaten home form be it 2 draws if needed. I think Southend will also be a hard game. Phil Brown (however much the tanned idiot he is!) is a manager that has a lot of experience. From the games I've seen this season I think they were the best organised. An interesting January for all the right reasons. I'm actually desperate for next Tuesday to come!

Specs WT-R75

Walsall is the biggest one as victory would take us up to 3rd - a draw against Burton would then be ok.

I agree though promotion from this position is a must.

Given I could care less if we win the league, I agree that beating Walsall has to be the key aim here. Burton can run away with the league as far as I am concerned as long as we get 2nd :)

That said if we win both I won't complain!

covcity4life

this is where it gets exciting guys

soon we will be bombarding SBT servers to talk about burton vs shrewsbury on a tuesday night just because dropped pts might mean coventry clinch promotion!

skybluelee

Am I right in thinking that if Wigan beat Gillingham then if we win the next two games we go top?

Yes, unless Gillingham beat Doncaster on 16th by enough goals more than us to be ahead of us on GD (they will be at least 4 goals behind us if they lose against Wigan and we beat Walsall).

If we win both we will be on 53. As will Gills if they lose to Wigan but beat Doncaster. Burton will be on 51 if we beat them (but with 2 games in hand on us and Gills), Walsall will be on a max of 51 if we beat them (with 1 game in hand). All ifs, buts and maybes.

tom88

Think both Walsall and Burton have appointed new managers well without much of a blip. Clough knows Burton well and O'Driscoll is someone who seems to do well and knows the lower leagues. I'd be happy to continue our unbeaten home form be it 2 draws if needed. I think Southend will also be a hard game. Phil Brown (however much the tanned idiot he is!) is a manager that has a lot of experience. From the games I've seen this season I think they were the best organised. An interesting January for all the right reasons. I'm actually desperate for next Tuesday to come!

Yes but we have Tony Mowbray

EIEIEIO Up the football league we go!

Warwickhunt

Yes, unless Gillingham beat Doncaster on 16th by enough goals more than us to be ahead of us on GD (they will be at least 4 goals behind us if they lose against Wigan and we beat Walsall).

If we win both we will be on 53. As will Gills if they lose to Wigan but beat Doncaster. Burton will be on 51 if we beat them (but with 2 games in hand on us and Gills), Walsall will be on a max of 51 if we beat them (with 1 game in hand). All ifs, buts and maybes.
Burton have not faced an Injury crisis with their back bone players yet like we have so will be interested to see how they cope if they get one, FA cup this weekend will sort out the wheat fro the chaf regarding longevity of the promotion race

no_loyalty

I think the O'Driscoll honeymoon period is over at Walsall, I think we will beat them convincingly

robbiethemole

it looks like it could be starting for Burton....................goalie coach Gavin Ward is going to QPR,defender Tom Flanagan is out for 6weeks with an apendix op,Weir is missing from being sent off against Blackpool, and a couple more loans are going back to their clubs.

maybe all the crap we've have recently will be levelled out, just need to keep an eye on Walsall, cos Gills have lost Cody as well.

PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread