75% rule (1 Viewer)

better days

Bury didn’t accrue points. The league decided only one relegation place. Sorted.
That's why the EFL didn't allow Bury to start the season - to avoid the prospect of them folding after a few games and teams who beat then and lost the points screaming
I suspect no decision will be made for a while but contingency plans will be discussed at next weeks meeting

win9nut

Apparently from the FA handbook and being posted online....don’t know if true:

The FA rule book states if a team play over 75% (35 games) of its games and the season ends all points remain valid and it can’t be void.
Just to point out this isn't true, as the FA don't manage the Leagues rules.
The EFL do that.
In their rules, there is no clear rule about what should happen if fixtures cannot be fulfilled due to situations outside the control of the club.

Here is the section about fixtures in the EFL rules:
EFL Official Website - Section 5- Fixtures

chiefdave

If all the games played were declared void wouldn't supporters be demanding refunds? You'd have essentially paid full price for a load of meaningless friendlies with tickets being sold on the basis it was a meaningful league game.

better days

Interestingly racehorse trainer Dr Richard Newland, a former medical doctor who runs his own health care business thinks the hysteria has been overdone
He was at Cheltenham this week and has runners at meetings with punters in attendance today
He pointed out that 19000 people died of flu last year
Mind you he is also sourcing 250 laptops so his staff can work from home which is a bit of a mixed message
Perhaps a more reasoned approach will evolve as the next few weeks pass and we see how the disease affects people other than the old and vulnerable

shepardo01

They managed to fit Qatar world cup into the calendar they can manage to sort this. You just cannot justify voiding s season this far through
Was absolutely gutted to hear that the season was suspended. No way we will be back playing by 4th April.
The leagues have to finish.
A positive is that ALL European leagues are in the same situation.

Haven't seen the following suggested anywhere but seems to me to be fairly sensible;
There is a World Cup in December 2222.

So, the leagues look at resuming THIS season when possible. If that takes us into restarting in summer, fine.
Play out the seasons in all leagues until finish (Approx November?)
Restart all leagues next Season inFebruary - run until October/November....
Restart following season 2222 in Feb, finish November in time for world Cup
Radical, massive change, but why not continue football through just ONE calendar year from this point on.

All leagues in same boat.

Only issue is contracts, but because all in same situation, allow to run until end of this current season... (must be possible)

Happy_Martian

As win9nut has alluded to, the EFL site is hopeless regarding this situation. Nothing on it (unless the text is beyond the two of us) regarding what happens if a season is ended early. But did we really expect the organisation running Football at this level to put rules in for every possibility "just in case" ?

EFL Official Website - EFL Regulations

Happy_Martian

I like how Karen Brady wants it void. I don’t suppose the premier league teams will void the 150 million they got last year. Giving the bottom relegated 3 teams 150 million again next year would be grossly unfair

I can see her point with West 'Ammmmm on the same points as the team 3rd from bottom. But the Prem has always been a selfish "look after myself" affair. What happens below them is literally beneath them.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I can see her point with West 'Ammmmm on the same points as the team 3rd from bottom. But the Prem has always been a selfish "look after myself" affair. What happens below them is literally beneath them.

But what if she's told by voiding the league they also void any payment for this season as it's not deemed to have occurred? Certainly the money for finishing anyway. Think she'd be so up for it them? Bollocks would she - straight onto the lawyers demanding the PL pay up no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread