6 home debutants in the same game (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Realised that 6 players (7 if you could Ball) made their home debuts last night - when was the last time such a high number of debutants played for us in a game?

dongonzalos

Yes I think I was scorned at, when I suggested that such a number of new players could trying to get in sink together. Fleck would have been involved if fit aswell, instead of baker. So it could have been 7 on the pitch and an 8th off the bench.

lordsummerisle

Yes I think I was scorned at, when I suggested that such a number of new players could trying to get in sink together. Fleck would have been involved if fit aswell, instead of baker. So it could have been 7 on the pitch and an 8th off the bench.

Think that Sheffield United had 8 players in their squad from their last game of last season last night.

So did we.

dongonzalos

Think that Sheffield United had 8 players in their squad from their last game of last season last night.

So did we.

I was accused of 'distorting facts as usual' or words to that affect, by suggesting anything more than 4 New players on the pitch at the same time in these early games.

Yes I am sure Sheff Utd will become more fluid as the season goes on aswell. Definately takes time to get used to the movement and playing styles of new team mates. You need to develop an understanding. Especially centre halfs and strike partners

Sick Boy

I can't imagine what Doncaster will be like once the season is approaching the end, I expect they will be winning games 12-0.

dongonzalos

I take it if we scrape a 2 - 1 win at home against bury on Saturday. we will fit into the future 12 - 0 as well.

Or are you just judging them by their win against Walsall and ignoring their draw at home against York. Eventually getting through on penalties.

Nick

Administrator
If it is all about gelling it makes you wonder why in the friendlies they weren't given more game time to gel as that is what it is for isn't it?

dongonzalos

If it is all about gelling it makes you wonder why in the friendlies they weren't given more game time to gel as that is what it is for isn't it?

I agree on that one. Perfect world know your first 11 they play at least 60 mins in each match. Include the odd triallist.

There were times where I am sure the chopping and changing could not be helped.

However there was also matches where clearly opportunities for this were missed.

Nick

Administrator
I know that obviously they couldn't play every single one in case of injuries but in training games and friendlies it should have been the time for the to gel and get used to each other rather than fielding teams that are nowhere near the first 11.

Tommo72

Realised that 6 players (7 if you could Ball) made their home debuts last night - when was the last time such a high number of debutants played for us in a game?

People forget that it will take some time for them to gel.......

I saw some encouraging signs last night and there is reason to believe we can get out of this league. However, far too many unforced errors and poor decisions and this needs to change.

Surprised nobody has mentioned how poor Sheff Utd were for most of the 2nd half.

Grendel

The average league 1 team has signed between 7 and 8 new players this season so the latest catchphrase / excuse "it takes time to gel" is irrelevant. Most teams are in the same boat.

Mucca Mad Boys

The average league 1 team has signed between 7 and 8 new players this season so the latest catchphrase / excuse "it takes time to gel" is irrelevant. Most teams are in the same boat.

But it is the extent to which teams have to 'gel', for example, how many new signings are in the starting XI, their position, are they in the spine of the team or wingers/full-backs, what league have they come from?

In our case, we have 5-6 newbies, in key positions, 3 of our midfield are new, Barton, Jennings, Fleck (I'm assuming Thomas will start when fit) and Malaga/Brown at CB, with Elliott/Ball up front, to add to this, Fleck, Malaga, Edge, Elliott and Ball haven't played in L1 before, we have to give them time to 'gel'.

I'm not saying other teams don't have this.

Last edited:

Hincha

If you look at Sheffield Wednesday's results from last season, it took them around 8-9 games last season to really hit the ground running. They had around the same number of new signings as us, time will tell if when the team are gelled we also hit the ground running.

lordsummerisle

If you look at Sheffield Wednesday's results from last season, it took them around 8-9 games last season to really hit the ground running. They had around the same number of new signings as us, time will tell if when the team are gelled we also hit the ground running.

Think they hit the ground running when they changed their manager...

Nonleagueherewecome

It's more relevant for a quality team than a rubbish team: assuming that we have a top six squad potentially, then we should benefit from gelling more than, say, Walsall. The point is that "quality will win out" after the gelling period, and in the meantime, it does to an extent level the playing field.

I thought that would have been really obvious, tbh!

SkyBlue_Bear83

It isn't as if the team has been put together overnight though. We made a lot of our signings early on
Fleck, Elliott, Kilbane, Malaga and Edjenguele all played in the first pre season game didn't they. Brown and Ball were signed about 3 weeks ago now and Jennings has been around the squad on trial for most of pre season.

We haven't got time to gel, we need to be getting up to a good level of performance after about 5 games, we haven't got time to give it 10-15 games or whatever

Users who are viewing this thread