6 Game Mini Season (2 Viewers)

TomRad85

I wouldn't go that far.

Our position is the best to be in, but we have to make it count.
I would. Win at home to worst away team in the league and you are level on points, 2 games in hand, far superior goal difference. Its theirs to fuck up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Honestly I'd rather in be in Rotherhams shoes than ours right now. Hoping that's not the case after tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I can only judge that at full time tomorrow really. Wycombe gave them a hiding, no reason we can’t either and their defence is as bad as ours. If we lose we’re gone

Samo

And how would we afford having a squad full of championship level players?

It's inevitable that when you get promoted you take some players up with you who are not at the required level.

Well of course we wouldn't afford it but some of these are barely functional and contributing zero. Most weren't even close to the first team in L1.
I understand that we can't always get recruitment right but that's a lot of wages to be paying to players who are offering zilch and are not even making the bench.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Well of course we wouldn't afford it but some of these are barely functional and contributing zero. Most weren't even close to the first team in L1.
I understand that we can't always get recruitment right but that's a lot of wages to be paying to players who are offering zilch and are not even making the bench.

As Grendel said on another thread, recruitment hasn't really worked out this year. Hopefully we can stay up and get it right for next season.

PVA

As Grendel said on another thread, recruitment hasn't really worked out this year. Hopefully we can stay up and get it right for next season.

Disagree.

Only really Da Costa, Hilssner, Gyokeres haven't worked out.

And that may be a little harsh on Gyokeres. Plus Da Costa has looked OK at times (but woeful at others, granted).

Hamer, O’Hare, Ostigard have been excellent. James, Walker, McCallum have been good. Sheaf has been decent but injured a lot.

Reactions: vow

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Disagree.

Only really Da Costa, Hilssner, Gyokeres haven't worked out.

And that may be a little harsh on Gyokeres. Plus Da Costa has looked OK at times (but woeful at others, granted).

Hamer, O’Hare, Ostigard have been excellent. James, Walker, McCallum have been good. Sheaf has been decent but injured a lot.

Below is what I posted in January. I still stand by most of it.

Our transfer business this season:

I have gone through the players and given my own verdict (I am sure people will agree/disagree at their own will which is fine). A tick has gone to a player who I think has made a positive impact on the first team following promotion. A cross for a player who has not. I have also added a strike for a player who I think the jury is still out on. My findings are a bit worrying.

✅ Gustavo Hamer - Very good signing. (Since dropped off)

✅ Callum O'Hare - Clearly has a lot of talent and works very hard. Probably one of our best players when it clicks, but some serious questions over his final product. Considering we are looking almost entirely at him to make something happen, it is worrying. (Still lack of end product a massive issue)

✅ Leo Östigard - At times he has been incredible, but considering how many headers he wins, he should have scored many more goals. Definitely a lot of potential with him. (Still had some clangers but is one of the best defenders)

✅ Matty James - Looks good. In the game against Watford he was impressive. (Also has looked shit in some games)

❓ Julien Da Costa - Been a complete sick note to be honest. Has shown some real quality in the last 3 games, but it is already mid-February.

❓ Viktor Gyökeres - We have been in dire need of a striker. We sign this guy, and it is hard to have an opinion. Robins isn't really playing him. What is the point? An injured Biamou is playing ahead of him.

❓ Tyler Walker - Looked good in spells, but I think the jury is still very much out. Been injured a lot (yes, I know catching Covid etc isn't necessarily his fault), but it is hard for me to rate a player who we haven't seen an awful lot of still.

❓ Ben Sheaf - Looked good in spells, also has had a lot of mistakes in him. Again, jury is probably still out.

❌ Ryan Giles - Bad signing. Didn't get used at all, even when McCallum was the worst player on the pitch. Ended up being recalled and has scored two goals for a relegation rival.

❌ Sam McCallum - He is very young still, but I have not been very impressed at all. Been a weak link a lot of the time.

❌ Josh Reid - Not signed for the first team really.

❌ Marcel Hilßner - Had some illness with his lungs, but then was loaned to League 2. Robins has said he isn't sure he is up to the level required. Why sign him then?

❌ Fabio Tavares - Not signed for the first team really.

❌ Lee Camp - Didn't play once.

You then have Gervane Kastaneer from last season who has been a flop. Jobello who is back from injury and not playing (not sure why). Josh Eccles (playing some games now out of position) has been recalled from playing regular football only to rot in the under 23s.

As I said, I know not everyone will agree with what I have said, but even if I was to be only slightly wrong, that ratio still looks worrying to me. I think some serious questions need asking.

How is the recruitment good?

PVA

Well your ratio looks bad because in your bad signings list you've included a keeper who was signed purely as a temporary backup, and two youngsters for the future.

You've also included McCallum who has been one of our better performers, certainly in recent months, and Giles who did fine but was recalled because we were desperate for a striker.

chiefdave

Well your ratio looks bad because in your bad signings list you've included a keeper who was signed purely as a temporary backup, and two youngsters for the future.
But how does our ratio compare to others? People are great at highlighting the handful of players signed from lower leagues for nothing who have been a success at other clubs, or clubs who have spent big money. Surely if we're declaring our recruitment department useless there needs to be a like for like comparison to others.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You've also included McCallum who has been one of our better performers, certainly in recent months, and Giles who did fine but was recalled because we were desperate for a striker.

McCallum has been below par.

Giles got sent back.

The others might be youngsters but still use budget.

The ratio isn't a conspiracy. It is a list of the players we have signed. It doesn't look good because it isn't very good.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

But how does our ratio compare to others? People are great at highlighting the handful of players signed from lower leagues for nothing who have been a success at other clubs, or clubs who have spent big money. Surely if we're declaring our recruitment department useless there needs to be a like for like comparison to others.

In fairness I haven't branded our recruitment department useless. I'm just saying that this year I don't think they've got too much right in what is a very critical season for the club.

PVA

Giles got sent back.

The ratio isn't a conspiracy. It is a list of the players we have signed. It doesn't look good because it isn't very good.

McCallum has not been below par.

I can't take your list seriously when you have him in the 'bad signing' category.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

McCallum has not been below par.

I can't take your list seriously when you have him in the 'bad signing' category.

You can't take the list seriously because you don't have an argument against it.

McCallum is young and has been improving, but he's not really a left wing back you want to be starting with either, if you are serious. The fact we only have him on that side is poor too, which again, is a recruitment judgment decision.

I can understand people who try and defend the club on reasonable things, but trying to argue our recruitment has been decent, when it clearly hasn't been, is deluded.

Brighton Sky Blue

Giles got sent back.

In fairness I wouldn’t place Walker as a question mark in that list.

PVA

You can't take the list seriously because you don't have an argument against it.

McCallum is young and has been improving, but he's not really a left wing back you want to be starting with either, if you are serious. The fact we only have him on that side is poor too, which again, is a recruitment judgment decision.

I can understand people who try and defend the club on reasonable things, but trying to argue our recruitment has been decent, when it clearly hasn't been, is deluded.

Except I do have an argument against it. I listed 5 players that shouldn’t be on the bad signings list.

It’s a ridiculous list.

Grendel

Mccallum was a pointless signing as we’d already got cover

Giving James a tick is really debatable as he’s influenced nothing in terms of results and has been an expensive luxury

The real problem as well as I keep saying is we’ve got 5 players who are not going to feature next season whatever league on the payroll

Robins decision to offer Brandon Mason a new contract then in effect bomb him out a month later after the Rotherham game was bizarre as was signing players like Hillsner Da Costa and Jobello. It’s 3 Kevin Malaga’s in one

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Mccallum was a pointless signing as we’d already got cover

Giving James a tick is really debatable as he’s influenced nothing in terms of results and has been an expensive luxury

The real problem as well as I keep saying is we’ve got 5 players who are not going to feature next season whatever league on the payroll

Robins decision to offer Brandon Mason a new contract then in effect bomb him out a month later after the Rotherham game was bizarre as was signing players like Hillsner Da Costa and Jobello. It’s 3 Kevin Malaga’s in one

The point is, there are far too many players on that list that haven't set the world alight by any means. As I mentioned, it is a critical season in the clubs future, so it's a big thing. In my opinion at least.

Grendel

Surely jury is out on him? He has looked a good prospect, but hardly a roaring success yet.

It’s clear he’s marketable if we had to sell him and would be highly effective in league 1

PVA

What 5 players? You aren't making any sense whatsoever.

I already said.

But to repeat…

Reid & Tavares – signed for the future. How can you say they’ve been and signings? Utterly ridiculous to call them bad signings.

Camp – Signed as a temporary number 2. Not sure what else you expected from him.

McCallum – One of our better players in the last few months. Had a better season than Dabo. I don’t understand how you could give Sheaf and Gyo a ? but McCallum a X.

Giles – Did absolutely fine for us. Recalled because we were desperate for a striker.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surely jury is out on him? He has looked a good prospect, but hardly a roaring success yet.

No, but more of a tick then Gyo and Da Costa I think. On a closer look I also don't think it's right sticking Reid and Tavares in there, clearly development squad signings. Plus Camp was only signed as we had just one fit senior keeper. As G says though it's frightening the combined wages we'll be spending on Hilssner, Kasta, Jobello and Da Costa-combined surely a fair whack

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I already said.

But to repeat…

Reid & Tavares – signed for the future. How can you say they’ve been and signings? Utterly ridiculous to call them bad signings.

Camp – Signed as a temporary number 2. Not sure what else you expected from him.

McCallum – One of our better players in the last few months. Had a better season than Dabo. I don’t understand how you could give Sheaf and Gyo a ? but McCallum a X.

Giles – Did absolutely fine for us. Recalled because we were desperate for a striker.

Read my post again:

"I have gone through the players and given my own verdict (I am sure people will agree/disagree at their own will which is fine). A tick has gone to a player who I think has made a positive impact on the first team following promotion. A cross for a player who has not. I have also added a strike for a player who I think the jury is still out on."

Also, you are trying to argue water isn't wet. How can you say Giles had a positive impact? It was a dumb move and he was also poorly managed. The striker who you claim we replaced him with, then didn't get a look in.

I guess relegation is a success for you as long as we finish above Wycombe, right?

PVA

Read my post again:

"I have gone through the players and given my own verdict (I am sure people will agree/disagree at their own will which is fine). A tick has gone to a player who I think has made a positive impact on the first team following promotion. A cross for a player who has not. I have also added a strike for a player who I think the jury is still out on."

Also, you are trying to argue water isn't wet. How can you say Giles had a positive impact? It was a dumb move and he was also poorly managed. The striker who you claim we replaced him with, then didn't get a look in.

I guess relegation is a success for you as long as we finish above Wycombe, right?

It's a fucking ridiculous list.

Using Reid and Tavares as apparent proof of poor recruitment ffs. Just absurd.

And as for that last line, no idea what you're on about.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's a fucking ridiculous list.

Using Reid and Tavares as apparent proof of poor recruitment ffs. Just absurd.

And as for that last line, no idea what you're on about.

You haven't read my post whatsoever and you are making yourself look like an idiot again.

My list refers to all players we have recruited, and if they have had a positive effect on the first team in the championship. That is the list, and the number of additions that you could safely say have worked out (as the above criteria) is extremely low.

I know you don't like it, and I know you don't want any criticism put out. It's much easier to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend everything is rosey, but those are the facts.

PVA

You haven't read my post whatsoever and you are making yourself look like an idiot again.

My list refers to all players we have recruited, and if they have had a positive effect on the first team in the championship. That is the list, and the number of additions that you could safely say have worked out (as the above criteria) is extremely low.

I know you don't like it, and I know you don't want any criticism put out. It's much easier to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend everything is rosey, but those are the facts.

That's fine but if you're going to use that criteria to judge, then only put players in your list who were bought in to meet that criteria.

Reid and Tavares weren't. Camp essentially wasn't.

All of a sudden your list looks a lot better and that's without mentioning the bizarre inclusion of McCallum as a bad signing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That's fine but if you're going to use that criteria to judge, then only put players in your list who were bought in to meet that criteria.

Reid and Tavares weren't. Camp essentially wasn't.

All of a sudden your list looks a lot better and that's without mentioning the bizarre inclusion of McCallum as a bad signing.

Who's to say Reid and Tavares were used for this and that?

We have a budget, and that's a part of it. We went up a division and our strengthening doesn't seem to have been really effective.

Tommo1993

Just wish we could be there as 12th man. The players obviously know what’s at stake, but without the metaphorical foot up their arse coming from the crowd, they don’t get the full picture of how much it means.

PVA

We have a budget, and that's a part of it. We went up a division and our strengthening doesn't seem to have been really effective.

Well we know that Reid and Tavares were signed for the 23s. The manager said so.
We know Camp was signed to sit on the bench.

So again, you can't include them in your list if your criteria is how effective they've been in the first team.

Grendel

Reid was signed as a first team player he’s played 20 games in the SPL and will be first choice next season

stupot07

I wouldn't class McCallum as one of our better performers the last couple of months, but I also wouldn't have down as a bad signing. Hes been bang average.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Reid was signed as a first team player he’s played 20 games in the SPL and will be first choice next season

Sure. Still no positive contribution to the first team this season though, which was my agenda point.

We got promoted but I don't think we have particularly strengthened. Given injuries to the squad, we've looked weaker at times.

Users who are viewing this thread