5 years since Mansfield away. Turning point (1 Viewer)

skybluepm2

I remember being there and getting into a heated argument with a fellow fan over how dreadful Haynes was. We scored and ended up embracing after JCH tucked the pen away.

They were flying at the time, especially at home. Couldn’t see us coming back after losing Willis to a straight red and going 1-0 down. The fight and belief we showed that day has held us in good stead ever since. Definitely a turning point.

We’ve had such a topsy turvy season, looking back it’s crazy to think we were all pretty much resigned to going down or at least being in a relegation scrap. The incredible run prior to the World Cup had a lot of us thinking that the play offs were very much achievable, only to be followed by a mundane and depressing run after we returned. We’ve now turned it around again, have stopped shipping goals, picked up a decent results against some decent sides and are extremely hard to beat. We have always tended to end the season well under MR so who’s to say we can’t do the same again this term? It’s pretty incredible really.

We’ve had the takeover, the end of SISU and Wasps, pitch issues, suspensions, a ridiculous injury list to contend with, the transfer window uncertainty, and yet here we are sitting well placed for a final effort to try and at least pressure the top 6.

Never a quiet day in CV6. 3 points incoming tomorrow 😎

(Haynes is still shit)

pusbccfc

Unbelievable fight second half. Doyle incredible.

Offhegoes

We also had a couple of horrible injuries that season. Andreu was the marquee signing and was out for 12 months in his 2nd game and then Jodi did his ACL in December. Luckily Shipley and Bayliss stepped up well from the youth team and Biamou became the perfect foil for McNulty

TomRad85

It came after a rotten run of form too that had us pretty much in mid table territory. I don't want to glamourise league 2 though, the play offs were great but it was fucking shite, we cobbled through it for the most part and it was embarrassing just being there in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skybluepm2

We also had a couple of horrible injuries that season. Andreu was the marquee signing and was out for 12 months in his 2nd game and then Jodi did his ACL in December. Luckily Shipley and Bayliss stepped up well from the youth team and Biamou became the perfect foil for McNulty

I always wonder what could’ve been with Andreu. Showed glimpses of class before his injury, I think he would’ve been a big player for us, had he stayed fit.

On the whole, we’ve somehow managed to step up and deal with long term injuries to key players year on year. Staggering when we’ve either had a small squad or lack of quality in depth (or more often than not, a combination of the 2)

Sky Blue Pete

I always wonder what could’ve been with Andreu. Showed glimpses of class before his injury, I think he would’ve been a big player for us, had he stayed fit.

On the whole, we’ve somehow managed to step up and deal with long term injuries to key players year on year. Staggering when we’ve either had a small squad or lack of quality in depth (or more often than not, a combination of the 2)
That’s kenny jacket for you

Calista

Andreu definitely looked classy.

SheafIsGod

I was there. As you say, a real turning point in the season coming back to get a draw with 10 men. I think we all started to believe then. Brilliant day all round.

The L2 season aways were all brilliant.

Super Graham Withey

Michael Doyle, clearly unfit, dragged us forward in the second half. Jonson Clark-Harris won and converted a dubious penalty. After the goal the away end roared ‘who are you?’ at the Mansfield fans in a what the hell are CCFC doing playing at Mansfield sort of way. It all turned round that afternoon.

TomRad85

Oh ya the penalty with 10 men. Agree with OP may have been a turning point.

Think the 4-2 home loss to Lincoln last few games of season gave us a wake up call going into the playoffs too.
I was glad Exeter got through, we didn't deal well with that shire horse that Lincoln had up front.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBbucks

Followed this game up with a 1-0 win away at Wycombe on the coldest night ever

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Agreed, coldest game I’ve been at in nearly 60 years watching, from memory it was minus 7 at kick off. One of the very few games that survived the weather that week. Cracking away performance, soaked up the route one bombardment and then nicked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harvey098

D6A31E8A-BC6C-45E3-84CC-2C23AEF7D757.jpeg
I wwas there (just dug this out of that moment). As you say in hindsight, it feels like the start of everything that happened after

Users who are viewing this thread