5 things from today's game (1 Viewer)

logjoe

Thing is, the same problems were evident under Pressley, yet the majority on here said he was to blame. We looked worse today than we did last week.
Thats because he brought all these players on loan or permanent.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Or was he TOLD?

Most likely he had to decide who & how many to clear out to achieve a salary budget. To keep the better players we would have had an overall squad half the strength of how weak it is anyway. It's a no win situation.
But hey let's pat the senior management & owners on the back because we are "cash flow positive" (apparently) & all that.

PUSB

Marshalls career was in the toilet when we signed him, he would have been on a lower wage than most if not all of O'Brien, Swanson, Tudgay, Jackson, Miller

shy_tall_knight

1 Barton is awful - sitting deep but can't tackle and his distribution at times was terrible
2 Fleck bottled it when he could have equalized
3 Tudguy is not a lone striker and had a very bad game
4 Mark Marshall is better than any of our midfielders
5 Frank only plays for parts of a game, we need more

covcity4life

I don’t see how you can blame the keeper if a guy bends one just inside the post, over the wall and at pace. I was more worried by Burge stepping back and actually widening the angle for the second goal. As with Stokes, we can’t afford to have lads learning their trade in this relegation scrap.

He let second goal in at near post and the free kick was always gonna be a duplicate of the free kick prior. Hemust have known the player was a capable of getting past the wall

Calista

He let second goal in at near post and the free kick was always gonna be a duplicate of the free kick prior. Hemust have known the player was a capable of getting past the wall

We agree about the second goal. But for the free kick, are you saying he should position himself on the side of the goal that is behind the wall?

Really not the keeper’s fault - the wall failed to jump and it only just cleared their heads. Also, it wasn’t Burge who gave away a barmy free kick in the same spot that they had almost scored from a few minutes earlier.

Sky Blue Pete

Much more intent for 40 mins and if you can't see we lined up differently today you need a coaching course. Where it was the same was errors and they were basic. Also different was Mowbray not talking shite after the match

skybluetony176

I don't think there was ever going to be an immediate huge improvement, although I did think we'd win today. We're playing 3 games in one week since TM's arrival was announced. How many of the day's in between are going to be full training days and how many are going to be rest days. Let's just hope there's enough time to get the best out of the current squad of players before it's too late.

Last edited:

stupot07

Much more intent for 40 mins and if you can't see we lined up differently today you need a coaching course. Where it was the same was errors and they were basic. Also different was Mowbray not talking shite after the match

We definitely lined up differently, but I did find it odd that he chose to play Samuel who's scored what 4 in 6 playing centrally off the last man, out on the left wing. Neither he or nouble are suited to that wide 433 position. Centre backs are poor in this league, if you put them under constant pressure you will reap rewards, we quite simply have to play 2 up tops, and even with 3 central midfielders we failed to win the midfield battle.

I agree it won't change over night but it is worrying given the games now come thick and fast, that there will be mainly rest days so little time to implement a new system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

steveecov

Incomprehensible. But a bigger mistake was letting Baker go. And allowing us to face a relegation battle without an experienced goalie, especially when we already had one, is unforgivable. I cannot foresee anything but relegation.

Agree but REALLY hope you are wrong with last bit.

Paxman II

I think it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Had we won TM first game we all would have had said we beat the drop. Now we see there is a lot of work to do and the players will need to listen and TM needs to galvanise them quickly. I think that will now happen. An easy win today and we may have been cocky after it...

Gazolba

I think it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Had we won TM first game we all would have had said we beat the drop. Now we see there is a lot of work to do and the players will need to listen and TM needs to galvanise them quickly. I think that will now happen. An easy win today and we may have been cocky after it...

You are the very definition of an optimist!

Otis

And full of confidence, rather than standing on the brink of dropping back into the bottom 4 and going into Tuesday's game low on morale and after 2 defeats on the trot.

Yeah, Pax. I think you may be on to something.

Mr T - Sukka!

There is absolutley no doubt carry on playing like that today CCFC are going down.

There is no chance at all of getting out of it.

There is too many things wrong to put right and too many things to fix.

AJB1983

The fact Mowbray put it down to mistakes I'm defence, which I've heard pretty much every week this season, says one thing....the players aren't good enough.

Better players either recover from their mistakes, or their team mates are good enough to cover them up and ensure they don't cost them....
Neither is case.
I'll see for myself Tuesday night...

ptr

Hardly lined up differently, were we playing with wingers? No same shit formation tudgay central and nouble and samuel flanking not knowing where exactly they need to be. You been there last few games cus the formation was very identical. Need a formation where we can protect our young full backs. Instead of leaving them out to dry for people like baker and marshall to come and have a go.

Terry Gibson's perm

We need a nasty type midfielder who can help the ref, if we look back to Wise's time here he was always there to help the ref make a decision and Brown was a bit like that for them today.

Martin is terrible I have said from the first time I saw him this season he cannot kick the ball I feel sorry for Pennington having to play next to this joker.

Last edited:

Paxman II

The euphoria around the place since TM arrived was palpable. Everyone thought we were now OK. So when I say a blessing in disguise, it could be just that. This defeat kind of helps TM get the message across to the players that there is no magic wand and there is much work to do. I would not be surprised if we now win on Tuesday. All our inadequacies were exposed today and I'm glad in a way so TM can address the frailties rather than mask them over had we won.

Astute

The euphoria around the place since TM arrived was palpable. Everyone thought we were now OK. So when I say a blessing in disguise, it could be just that. This defeat kind of helps TM get the message across to the players that there is no magic wand and there is much work to do. I would not be surprised if we now win on Tuesday. All our inadequacies were exposed today and I'm glad in a way so TM can address the frailties rather than mask them over had we won.

I would love to be able to agree with you. But it takes more than a week or so to polish a turd. SP brought players in but he never brought a team together. He tried to find a goalscorer like he had two of at the start of last season to save his arse. He failed. And now Mowbray has a very hard job of making a team that can win with players not good enough.

This is my view of what he has been left with.

GK....Just not good enough at this level. Either lack of experience or not clever enough. I always stuck 1 1/2 players past the post from the line of the ball to the post at a free kick. Curl it around them and you deserve the goal. Be ready to get across the goal for it to go over the top of the wall because they rarely try to curl it around that many players and be very close to the line. If you have the reflexes any decent GK has you should at least get to the ball. You need the confidence and a big enough gob to tell your defence where you want them. And mad enough to dive in where it hurts when you got hurt 5 minutes ago.

Midfield.....We have been left with players that can only or have trained to keep hold of the ball and not try to go forward. Good for the stats but stats don't win games. No bite. No nasty b@stard in the middle to put your opponents on edge. No proper cover for your defence. No proper link between the two.

Strikers......no outstanding striker that can score goals from anywhere. They seem to wait for something to happen instead of trying to make it happen. But none of this is helped with the midfield that we have. They don't seem to work together. They either work to close with the midfield and become a midfielder or they wait around for the ball. This lets the other teams defenders have them well covered and we don't have strikers good enough to continually beat a defence like we had last season.

So which turd should Mowbray try to polish first?

Otis

I would love to be able to agree with you. But it takes more than a week or so to polish a turd. SP brought players in but he never brought a team together. He tried to find a goalscorer like he had two of at the start of last season to save his arse. He failed. And now Mowbray has a very hard job of making a team that can win with players not good enough.

This is my view of what he has been left with.

GK....Just not good enough at this level. Either lack of experience or not clever enough. I always stuck 1 1/2 players past the post from the line of the ball to the post at a free kick. Curl it around them and you deserve the goal. Be ready to get across the goal for it to go over the top of the wall because they rarely try to curl it around that many players and be very close to the line. If you have the reflexes any decent GK has you should at least get to the ball. You need the confidence and a big enough gob to tell your defence where you want them. And mad enough to dive in where it hurts when you got hurt 5 minutes ago.

Midfield.....We have been left with players that can only or have trained to keep hold of the ball and not try to go forward. Good for the stats but stats don't win games. No bite. No nasty b@stard in the middle to put your opponents on edge. No proper cover for your defence. No proper link between the two.

Strikers......no outstanding striker that can score goals from anywhere. They seem to wait for something to happen instead of trying to make it happen. But none of this is helped with the midfield that we have. They don't seem to work together. They either work to close with the midfield and become a midfielder or they wait around for the ball. This lets the other teams defenders have them well covered and we don't have strikers good enough to continually beat a defence like we had last season.

So which turd should Mowbray try to polish first?

Midfield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paxman II

But I don't think it's just down to poor players. I think they are good enough. Just pick the right ones and coach them well and we will improve. TM over to you.

stupot07

But I don't think it's just down to poor players. I think they are good enough. Just pick the right ones and coach them well and we will improve. TM over to you.

We have 3-4 'good' players, problem is the squad has no balance and is seriously lacking experience, grit, and leadership. You can get away with that when things are going well, but not in a relegation scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

torchomatic

Still didn't think the team were as negative as they have been under Pressley. We didn't pass it back or sideways as much. Also, it is down to "one of those games". After all we were under the cosh totally against MKD yet the same back four kept them out.

I think TM needs to sort out Midfield, that's where the problem lies for me. He did say it would be unfair to bring in anyone else until he'd give the current batch a chance, well, he's seen them against Barnsley and Port Vale and I would imagine he knows something needs to be done. For the most part I think our loan players aren't the issue; Stokes, Pennington, Odelusi and Samuel, it's the midfield and we definitely need someone else in goal.

stupot07

I agree to an extent Torch and I don't blame the loans particularly, but I would say that We kept Mk Dons out through more luck than judgement.

Wholly agree that the midfield is the biggest problem.

torchomatic

Exactly, hence my "one of those games" quip. We need luck, but also experience.

I agree to an extent Torch and I don't blame the loans particularly, but I would say that We kept Mk Dons out through more luck than judgement.

Wholly agree that the midfield is the biggest problem.

torchomatic

Nah, don't agree with that. I will agree it would have been better to do it sooner, but I don't think we'll go down.

And we're going down Mowbray or no mowbray the change was left to late

Grendel

Nah, don't agree with that. I will agree it would have been better to do it sooner, but I don't think we'll go down.

IF we don't get a new keeper and stick with Barton and fleck I think we will.

torchomatic

Oh agree. Priority for me is a midfielder and someone decent in goal.

IF we don't get a new keeper and stick with Barton and fleck I think we will.

Otis

Do we read anything into the fact that Proschwitz wasn't even in the squad on Saturday?

Could be obviously just down to only being allowed 5 loan players in the match day squad, but maybe by the same token, he was left out because TM knows we need fresh blood in other positions and has decided to send him back.

I am hoping for the latter scenario.

We could then bring in a midfielder and a keeper.

torchomatic

Weird signing that. Pressley gone, another forward coming into the club.

Do we read anything into the fact that Proschwitz wasn't even in the squad on Saturday?

lewys33

Saturday was no different to previous games (5 days - Mowbray out!). I agree with what someone else said in that losing may actually do us better. This is a big up-hill struggle!

Burge needs to be replaced. Everyone said he was brilliant at MK dons, but I think he was just brilliant for his ability. He is currently a liability unfortunately, which is a shame because I think he could become a decent keeper, but our situation will not help him. His decision yesterday for the free kick was abysmal (the free-kick was a mirror of the one 5 minutes before, yet this time hit the target!).

Midfield we definitely need something, a winger (how was turgott tuesday night?) and a CM. I still think we should keep at it with Fleck. Up until this season he was brilliant, he just needs to find the spark again. At moments on Saturday he did look a lot better.

Stokes is a good player I think. Has little support in front of him, and did what he could. Aaron Martin doesn't fill me with confidence, but Penington has been brilliant.

Nouble was pretty awful apart from his 1 run (does that make him playing worth it?), Samuel didn't do much but has been our best striker this year to date.

Players that need to go back - williams and poshwitch (posh bitch german bloke). Bring in a winger, cm and goalkeeper. Get samuel till the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread