4th Round FA Cup Replays may be scrapped (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
No consideration at all for the lower leagues, too busy worrying about the big money again.

Imagine all those lower league teams earning a replay to go and play at a Premier League ground and get some decent money from it that could make or break their future.

All of that still less than what Ozil gets paid in a week.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I worked out the other day there were 8 teams in from league 2 or lower in the 3rd round.

If you were looking at the league tables most teams in the 3rd round were still in contention for something in the league be it promotion or relegation.

I can see merit in it

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Then when you look at Rochdale having an away replay at Newcastle and how vital that money will be to them you see it a different way.
How many attended that out of interest? I was having this debate at work the other day. Maybe keep the 3rd round replay? Then allow tie switching if both teams agree?

What’s the finance drop from Lg1 to lg2? Is it more or less than 1 game at old Trafford

Nick

Administrator
How many attended that out of interest? I was having this debate at work the other day. Maybe keep the 3rd round replay? Then allow tie switching if both teams agree?

What’s the finance drop from Lg1 to lg2? Is it more or less than 1 game at old Trafford

Just under 30k for the replay so half of that isn't bad.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've got no problem with all cup replays being dropped frankly. However, due to the potential loss of a money spinning replay if a team in a lower division is drawn at home, they should have the choice to either take the home fixture or move it to the larger ground of their opponent but be allowed a larger allocation of the stadium for their fans. ET and penalties will be done at that stadium if required and smaller club automatically is assumed to have won the toss to choose ends etc and gets to choose the end any spot kicks are taken.

Devil is obviously in the detail, such as the exact criteria (ie stadium must have a capacity of more than double their own stadium and safety issues regarding segregation etc.)

tisza

Maybe fiddle with gate percentages rather than an equal split.
Can see the practical need for getting rid of replays but need to sort out the finances.
Personally I'd give the "league Cup" completely and put the EFL trophy to straight knockout or do away with it.

SAJ

What’s an average budget for a league 1 team? Rochdale would have got something like £250k for that match against Newcastle. I would have thought that would be a significant percentage of their income for the whole season.

SAJ

On top of this, the whole process is been driven by premiership teams moaning about having too many matches to play. If they bothered to put their first team out perhaps they wouldn’t draw as many. Most premiership clubs have 24 players who would easily be better on paper than players from leagues 1 and 2 or below so what’s the hardship. If it happens then what happened to Bury will start becoming the norm. The sooner the “big six” fuck off to their European Super league the better from my point of view.

skyblue1991

Maybe scrap replays when the teams playing each other are in the same league?

I'm teams took the FA cup seriously, particularly when the teams are in different leagues then there shouldn't be many replays at all.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread