433 (1 Viewer)

SBT

I think those CBs will need more than just Sheaf as protection - Eccles will likely have to sit as well. But then you’re looking quite defensive at that point.

calibrase6

Latabadieure ahead of MVE and Mcfadzean ahead of Thomas for now. Godden ahead of Simms for now but Thomas and Simms need to realise that their time is coming to cement themselves in the team for the next few years as Godden and Fadz get older and sadly slower.

shmmeee

If we’ve spent £10m+ on the defence and can’t put a back four out without also sacrificing the midfield I don’t know what to say. I reckon Binks +1 given time will be OK. Just need to become a unit.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't mean to be pedantic (OK maybe I do), but it was 4-2-3-1 yesterday.

And I agree with that team but with Allen at AM.

I still cannot see it.

Simms and Wright were surely not playing behind Godden, it seemed like a very even front three line to me for the most part.

When COH came on of course he was clearly more advanced than the other central midfielders, but I cannot agree on this being a 4231.

False9

His post match comments made it sound like he will change to 4 at back.

Personally I'd persist with Thomas and Kitching hoping they play into form but I can understand those wanting to drop them.

I think I'd go

Wilson

MVE Thomas kitching bidwell

Sheaf Eccles
Allen (ohare when possible)

Simms godden wright (swap saka in if it doesn't work)

Londonccfcfan

Lats isnt a wing back.
Latabadieure ahead of MVE and Mcfadzean ahead of Thomas for now. Godden ahead of Simms for now but Thomas and Simms need to realise that their time is coming to cement themselves in the team for the next few years as Godden and Fadz get older and sadly slower.

Brighton Sky Blue

The one issue with this is it’s asking our central midfielders to play pretty wide unless the plan is for the width to come from Saka and Simms.

clint van damme

I find the whole notion that our troubles will suddenly disappear when we find the magic formation a bit strange.
I'm not saying it won't help but I think our issues are a bit more deep rooted than that.

We were paying 4 at the back Monday when they ripped straight through us for the 2nd goal, the fact it might have been offside shouldn't really disguise the fact it was embarrassingly easy for them.

We also need to bear in mind that yes, we improved when we went 3 up top yesterday but after conceding another embarrassing goal we were playing opppsition who themselves have been on a bad run so we're naturally inclined to try and defend their lead.

Hincha

Would love to see us try:

Collins
Lati - Thomas - Kitching - Da Silva
Sheaf - Eccles
Allen
Saka - Simms - Wright

Push Da Silva high with Lati tucking into a back 3 in possession. 4-5-1 out of possession.
Can swap Lati/Da Silva for MVE/Binks or Bidwell. O’Hare for Allen once he’s up to speed.

Hertsccfc

Collins
Sheaf - Eccles
Allen
Saka - Simms - Wright

Push Da Silva high with Lati tucking into a back 3 in possession. 4-5-1 out of possession.
Can swap Lati/Da Silva for MVE/Binks or Bidwell. O’Hare for Allen once he’s up to speed.
Have to admit i quite like that.

PVA

I still cannot see it.

Simms and Wright were surely not playing behind Godden, it seemed like a very even front three line to me for the most part.

When COH came on of course he was clearly more advanced than the other central midfielders, but I cannot agree on this being a 4231.

Simms and Wright were behind Godden, and Allen/O'Hare were ahead of Sheaf and Eccles.

Of course when in possession (and chasing a goal!) Simms and Wright will push up and be right on the defenders in a line with Godden, but certainly out of possession it was 100% a 4-2-3-1

4231a.png

4231b.png

4231c.png

BlueSkiesForever

I’ve been calling for 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 for ages now, I really hope Robins goes for it and sticks with it for a fair few games. It’ll take time to adjust to it, we will concede goals to begin with no doubt, but if we can become a better, more attacking, well-oiled team in the long run then I think it’ll be worth it.

I realise that just changing to a back 4 won’t solve our problems completely, we still need to play with more tempo and confidence but not much this season has shown me that 5 at the back works or suits our players.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Simms and Wright were behind Godden, and Allen/O'Hare were ahead of Sheaf and Eccles.

Of course when in possession (and chasing a goal!) Simms and Wright will push up and be right on the defenders in a line with Godden, but certainly out of possession it was 100% a 4-2-3-1

View attachment 32328

View attachment 32329

View attachment 32330

Players dropped when out of possession yes, but that is different. The screenshots still don't show our general line up and when we had the ball, which was like a 4-3-3 as I said.

napolimp

I agree with what @clint van damme said above. This notion that we just need to change to some combination of 4 at the back, to fix our problems, is absurd. At one point we'd lost 1 in 10 this season playing 3 at the back. The match at home to Norwich, for example, showed that 3 at the back can work well for us, with an end product really being the sticking point.

I'd much rather see us have the ability to be more fluid with change of formation and tactics, reacting to the game as it is happening. Being able to change to a more defensively solid counter attacking unit when we are holding a lead, and changing to a more attacking 4 at the back formation when we need to chase, or the opposition has set-up to nullify us. We've been too rigid for far too long now. I do find Robins can come across as incredibly stubborn, and this is also demonstrated by the entirely predictable 70 minutes subs.

BlueSkiesForever

Wilson

Van Ewijk - Kitching - Binks - Bidwell

Latibeaudiere - Sheaf

Allen

Sakamoto - Wright

Simms

Collins
Sheaf - Eccles
Allen
Saka - Simms - Wright

I like the look of both of these suggestions tbf, I really rate the front 3 in both cases, seeing Wright and Saka on the wing would be really interesting. Something about it just seems refreshing yet aggressive and I think that’s what we’ve lacked all season, a bit of creativity and attacking intent. Clearly we still need to play with tempo and keep our heads screwed on but I honestly think if we went to a back 4 it’d be a big step forward. Give a back 4 a chance and give Robins a chance to implement it (if he chooses to go down that route), it’ll take time but I trust him, he doesn’t deserve to be sacked any time soon.

calibrase6

Wilson
Van Ewijk, Thomas, Binks, Bidwell
Eccles, Latibeaudiere, Sheaf
Sakamoto, Simms, Wright

This would be the team I would choose if we go 4-3-3
We would never create anything, the front 3 would be marked out the game. Thomass doesnt deserve a starting place so in your line up id drop Latz back into Thomas's place and bring in Allen into midfield.
Personally though id have Latz RB, Fadz in place of Thomas and Godden ahead of Simms out of pure loyalty to Godden and Fadz to see how they cope in that system. I get there is no room for sentiment, but fuck it, i'll be sentimental for a couple of games. Simms MVE and Thomas have years ahead with us so a couple more matches on the bench wont do them any harm, may even piss them off to get them fired up and angry to prove a point!

Sick Boy

Collins
Sheaf - Eccles
Allen
Saka - Simms - Wright

Dasilva will likely be one of those dropped.

SBbucks

Yep, spot on. Time to play Kitching alongside Binks, and bring in Bidwell. And stick with it.

He’s not going to play the 2 left sided defenders in a back 4 when he’s bought Thomas & Lati. Thomas and Kitching will surely be first choice in a 4, as on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Collins
Sheaf - Eccles
Allen
Saka - Simms - Wright

This is what I've been wanting for a while. Back 4 up for debate but the rest for sure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BlueSkiesForever

It just looks so much more natural and attacking having a back 4, I look all these suggestions and just think “yes this is what we need!”, playing our best players in positions they’re suited to and having more attacking options on the pitch rather than a back 7, it just makes sense to me.
I just pray Robins goes for it 🙏

Macca1987

I can't see us being effective an not overrun in midfield playing Allen and Eccles together, they are too lightweight, lose the ball to larger opposition and bounce off them when looking to tackle them

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I can't see us being effective an not overrun in midfield playing Allen and Eccles together, they are too lightweight, lose the ball to larger opposition and bounce off them when looking to tackle them
Realistically though who else do you play in there? Ayari? Unlikely as he’s even more lightweight and not to mention quite shit, Im really disappointed in his signing as expected so much better as he came with so much hype good job it was Brighton’s wasted money, although saying that if we can get him in a Gyokeres type deal who’s to say we cant develop him in the same way

Macca1987

Realistically though who else do you play in there? Ayari? Unlikely as he’s even more lightweight and not to mention quite shit, Im really disappointed in his signing as expected so much better as he came with so much hype good job it was Brighton’s wasted money, although saying that if we can get him in a Gyokeres type deal who’s to say we cant develop him in the same way
That's our problem, we don't have anyone else, I'm holding out for January and hopefully we can get these midfield players in everyone is calling for. On Ayari I'm in agreement with you, I've been very disappointed in what I have seen so far, will Robins get more out of him I don't know

BlueSkiesForever

Personally my ideal line-up for this week would be:

Collins
Van Ewijk, Thomas, Binks, Dasilva/Bidwell
Lati/Eccles, Sheaf
Sakamoto, Allen, Wright
Simms

For me I don’t want to see Godden, McFadz or Ayari starting, they’ve not done much that’s benefited the team in the last 3-4 weeks. We need to see a proper change and for Robins to realise that the same shit isn’t working every week.

bazza16

We would never create anything, the front 3 would be marked out the game. Thomass doesnt deserve a starting place so in your line up id drop Latz back into Thomas's place and bring in Allen into midfield.
Personally though id have Latz RB, Fadz in place of Thomas and Godden ahead of Simms out of pure loyalty to Godden and Fadz to see how they cope in that system. I get there is no room for sentiment, but fuck it, i'll be sentimental for a couple of games. Simms MVE and Thomas have years ahead with us so a couple more matches on the bench wont do them any harm, may even piss them off to get them fired up and angry to prove a point!
Latz is not a right back, Fadz and Godden are past it.
Latz will sit in the middle allowing Eccles/Sheaf and full backs to get forward more and not get out numbered in midfield. He can also drop back to a back 3 if needed.
Forget possession based football, we are not suited to it. Get the ball forward quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread