43 years ago today (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

To be fair, that Bayern team was filled with no-names and reserves. Did anyone hear of these Beckenbauer or Muller lads after that?

GaryPendrysEyes

That's the era my dad started taking me to home and away games, we didnt get to that match, I guess couldnt get a ticket.
Fond memories when things were rather more straightforward.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I was too young and lived too far away to get to midweek games in those days.

Didn't worry me though, I knew that we'd be playing plenty of important European games for years to come.........:whistle:

play_in_skyblue_stripes

please take note of the people who are happy enough being part of 1500 fans at Northampton and those happy with tinpot 12 000 stadium.

I did not go to either of the fairs cup games as only 7 and night games.

I do remember the pain of the terrible 6-1 1st leg defeat and the nightmare performance by McManus as reserve for Bill Glazier.

I was glad at the time we won the second leg though.

Shame we missed out on more European games, We should have qualified after 77/78 season really and blew it.
Of course we did qualify from 86/87 season but English clubs ineligible.

dadgad

Mc Manus took Glazier's position cos of sickness. The tie was over after the first leg tho' Bayern still fielded a strong team. I remember they and particular Beckenbauer oozed class and we earned a bit of self respect, nothing more.

mrtrench

That's pretty much the side that was playing when I first started attending with my Dad. First game I remember was home to Sheff Utd. Tony Currie was playing and I stood on a milk crate in the kop behind the goal.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was in my late teens and remember this game well! Proud of the lads to get a win against tough opposition!

RPHunt

I remember that we thought we would walk the tie.

A few weeks before, Bayern had contacted UEFA and said they wished to withdraw from the competition to concentrate on winning the domestic League. UEFA told them that if they did that, then they would be barred from the European Cup if they did win the league. As they were going ahead with the fixture with some, apparent, reluctance, I don't think anybody believed that they would put up much opposition. Even when the news of Glazier being out came through, we were confident that Bayern would roll over and we were as good as in the next round.

So the 6-1 hammering came as something of a shock, but it did leave a few optimists believing that Bayern would somehow contrive to lose by more than 5 goals in the second leg!

johnb

I couldn't make Trakia Plovdiv away in the previous round, so was determined to get to Bayern Munich ( unlike sixfields ). Flew out from Luton in the morning with other City supporters. Remember having a few beers in the Munich beer halls in the afternoon and in the Bayern club house before the game, Bill Glazier was in there as well. Just before and during the game it pissed down and the pitch was soaked. The Bayern team played to the conditions and City didn't, end of.

ajsccfc

Beckenbauer at Highfield Road seems surreal. It has seen some of the greats though, like Gullit, Bergkamp, Salako, all the lads.

covboy1987

To be fair, that Bayern team was filled with no-names and reserves. Did anyone hear of these Beckenbauer or Muller lads after that?

The Bayern team was filled with all international players and world cup winners and were well beaten on the night by a spirited Cov side and must go down in history of one of our best ever results - the result surprised the football world bayern fielded a full strength side shame about the result at Bayern when our reserve keeper who was drafed in late Eric Mcmanus had a night he would want to forget
Bayern Team
Sepp Maier German goalkeeper international keeper (95) appearances for his country and 536 league appearances for Bayern Munich
Johnny Hanson (45) international appearances for Denmark and 433 league appearances
Hewerd kopenhofer (5) u23 national appearances - 271 league appearances
Franz Beckenbauer 103 appearances for his country and captain and of Germany also 587 league appearances
Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck (44) appearances for his country and 416 league appearances
Peter Pumm (19) appearances for hsi country Austria and 84 league appearances
Rainer Zobel (1) appearances for his country and 246 league appearances
Karl Heinz Mrosko 386 appearances in Bundesliga
Uli Hoeness (35) appearances for German national team and 250 league appearances
Gerd Muller (62) appearances German national team 68 goals most prolific scorer of all time 555 league appearances incredible 487 goals
Dieter Breminger (1) international appearances and 375 league appearances

ajsccfc

I'm not sure I could have been any more sincere with my post about that team being filled with obscure players.

Never been a player to replicate the class that Beckenbaur oused. The manner in which he controlled the back line, had so much time on the ball, brought the ball out of his own half and set up play was phenomenal.

Sky Blue 64

43 years ago!!!! - I was there my late farther took me - great game, but 'gutted' that I couldn't stand in the West End as the only tickets we could get were in the seats. Played so well against a brilliant side, despite the heavy spanking in the first leg - McManus kept goal in the first leg his debut I believe.

Captain Dart

Do you remember the away score though

6-1, which is why the crowd for Bayern was only ~25K... the previous round the home crowd was (from memory) more like 40K

Stafford_SkBlue

6-1, which is why the crowd for Bayern was only ~25K... the previous round the home crowd was (from memory) more like 40K

According to the record book, both 1st round ties were around the 20k mark home and away. And surprising the first leg in Germany was watched by only 12k (can that be correct).

The Reverend Skyblue

I was at this game with my Dad.I was 7 years old and it was a fantastic night I will never forget.I am over 50 now so the memory when I stated going in 1968/9 is going but I remember this night so clearly.
We played so well, but the goal I wil always remember is Munichs, one of the best shots I have ever seen, about 30 yards out and was a screamer/scorcher or any other adjective, and I can still picture Bill Glazier flying through the air at full stretch, he seemed to float slowly across the goal just missing the ball

Brilliant brilliant night which I thought was brilliant, and will never forget it and maybe one day we will be back in Europe, well we can all dream

Brilliant

Last edited:

TheRoyalScam

Great game and atmosphere - those floodlit evening matches at Highfield Road could be magical.

This match and the Trakia Plovdiv home leg in the previous round are two of my favourite games supporting the City - I was 12 at the time and so proud that my team was on the World stage:)

My favourites from this team were Dave Clements, Neil Martin, Dennis Mortimer and Willie Carr - all great footballers - such an entertaining team.

martcov

Was also there at the home tie ( we were even 2-0 up )..... I mention it occaisonally ( beating Bayern ) to my German customers.... but no-one here in Northern Germany believes me... makes me feel like an old man telling stories... they get better as you grow older.

sky_blue_up_north

It's really unbelievable now, Coventry City beat the Mighty Bayern Munich. I was there that night... Never forgotten

SIR ERNIE

great to see that again deano. really fond memories of following the skyblues during that era. I remember my mates and I had a subbuteo league and I carefully painted my players hair to make my cov team as authentic as possible. orange hair for wee Willie, yellow for Dave Clements etc.

great memories...still got that subbuteo team somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread