4-4-2 or 4-3-3 (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Can't personally see Robins switching to 4-4-2 - apart from if injuries dictate.

The whole philosophy of the club is increasingly based on a fluid passing game with a 4-3-3 set up. Not sure if the U23s play 4-3-3 as well but wouldn't be surprised.

The recruitment over the summer of a keeper with great feet, defenders comfortable on the ball (McFaz, Rose, Dabo) points to a passing game from the back. The additions of Allen and O'Hare to a midfield 3 and Jobello/Kastaneer (to play on the left and right of a front 3) all points to a fluid game. Godden is also a very good footballer and mobile vs. a traditional big man up front.

Portsmouth was far from a perfect performance for us but some of our passing play and movement was brilliant. Looking forward to more of the same this season.

fernandopartridge

Can't personally see Robins switching to 4-4-2 - apart from if injuries dictate.

The whole philosophy of the club is increasingly based on a fluid passing game with a 4-3-3 set up. Not sure if the U23s play 4-3-3 as well but wouldn't be surprised.

The recruitment over the summer of a keeper with great feet, defenders comfortable on the ball (McFaz, Rose, Dabo) points to a passing game from the back. The additions of Allen and O'Hare to a midfield 3 and Jobello/Kastaneer (to play on the left and right of a front 3) all points to a fluid game. Godden is also a very good footballer and mobile vs. a traditional big man up front.

Portsmouth was far from a perfect performance for us but some of our passing play and movement was brilliant. Looking forward to more of the same this season.

He's never played 4-4-2 for us ever in either spell as far as I recall, his policy seems to be passing, getting the 'wide' players to tuck in and get the full backs overloading where possible. It is good to watch.

shmmeee

He's never played 4-4-2 for us ever in either spell as far as I recall, his policy seems to be passing, getting the 'wide' players to tuck in and get the full backs overloading where possible. It is good to watch.

What would you call the end of the L2 promotion campaign? 4312? It wasn’t a straight 442 but probably the closest

DannyThomas_1981

What would you call the end of the L2 promotion campaign? 4312? It wasn’t a straight 442 but probably the closest
That's a good point shmeee and you are right - it was close to a 4-4-2.
I think the formation in the second half of the promotion season was engineered mainly to accommodate young 10 bags Bayliss (on the right) with an enforced centre pairing of Doyle and Kelly - as Andreu was not available. I'm sure Robins was intending a midfield 3 that season if Andreu had been fit.
Last season I think we tried 4-4-2 early on with Ogogo-Doyle but we looked far from convincing with it.

shmmeee

It’s about the players you’ve got surely.

433 with one CM slightly back seems to work with our players. We have two good attacking full backs, two decent AMs and one very good DM, and a couple of goal scoring wide men. Still to be convinced Godden is the right type of striker for the leading role, but that’s probably just my bias that that player should be a big strong fucker.

PVA

Yes he has. Quite a lot. In both spells.

It will be 433/4321 this year though, maybe the odd game with 442.

fernandopartridge

Yes he has. Quite a lot. In both spells.

It will be 433/4321 this year though, maybe the odd game with 442.
He didn't in the first did he? He played Baker, Moussa and McSheffrey behind McGoldrick and then Clarke.
I'd forgotten about the second half of the L2 season where it did look like 4-4-2 but not 'pure' 4-4-2

DannyThomas_1981

Wow makes me realise what an insane improvement we have at full back with Mason/Dabo compared to Grimmer/Stokes.

I think this is another thing BlueElephant that Robins does very well and that we don't discuss very often.

He doesn't hold onto favourites/own signings and seeks to improve in every position each year.

I'm sure that last year he was desperate for his big signings (Ogogo and Brown) to succeed but once it didn't work out they were quickly out of the picture. Similarly Grimmer's demotion after his very memorable role in the promotion season. And of course Doyle. There is no sentiment. Selections are only made on performance and Robins isn't afraid to make the hard decisions. We are currently fielding a team with 8-9 changes from the start of last season - in just 12 months the first team squad has completely changed.

This is where I personally felt that Strachan fell very short. Shirts were automatically handed out year over year to players he had obvious loyalty too (Shaw/Williams/Telfer etc.) and key chances were missed to upgrade the squad. As such we didn't move forward. We've also seen managers consistently play their own signings even when it was obvious they were not the right fit.

Very impressed by how Robins operates.

DannyThomas_1981

I could be wrong but I thought the four in the middle wasn’t that flat. But yes personally I’d call it 442

My best guess is that the intended formation (before injuries) in the promotion season was:

Burge

Grimmer, Willis, Davies, Stokes

Kelly, Doyle, Andreu

McNulty, Biamou, Jones

Last season was a bit weird as following the failings of Ogogo, Andreu and Doyle......10 bags Bayliss ended up playing in a defensive midfield 2 with Kelly. I personally feel that's not 10 bags natural position and didn't do him any favours.

Users who are viewing this thread