4-3-3/4-5-1? (1 Viewer)

There has been a lot of complaining recently about the diamond, but which formation would anyone actually want? No point complaining if there are no suggestions.
Simple 4-4-2? Or will the fact that the majority of teams in the league can beat us man for man mean we lose too many to stay up?
Could a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system work? Would allow us (attempt to ) control the middle of the pitch. We need width that isn't just from the full backs!

As for Thorn, it's all been said before.
He's not doing a great job, but could be doing worse. The football can be fairly good (as was the case against West Ham), but we lack that bit of quality that would have sealed the game out... Platt getting the ball on the halfway line and failing to play Duke in springs to mind. He also lacks that managerial experience that can scrape a win when playing badly (Big Sam) . I fail to see what good bringing in anyone else would do, mainly because no one will want the job.
As for the Carsley argument - replace one inexperienced manager for someone even less experienced... genius.

Welcome to the forum. I like the idea of a peculiar 4 2 2 2 with the wing backs playing up the flanks to provide crosses. We have a couple of fast wing backs so lets make use of them.

ccfc2011

What about 3 5 2

CUS Wyken

I personally like the idea of wing backs too. I'd have Clingan as holding. Ive heard rave reviews about Bigi's attacking capabilities so we should allow him more freedom and then play Deegan or Baker as the other midfielder.. With Juke leaving I would like to see Platt and McDonald partnership. Big man little man could work.

One thing is for sure, he needs to try something different.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think 4: 5: 1 with two of the central mids holding the third playing just infront. Think it would make it hard for the opposition to get behind us. Assuming that the midfield is allowed to attack(essential if to work) then that should drag the whole team forward because they have to support the striker. My concern however is that I feel we need a strong central midfield player to drag the team forward - that is not Clingan. From the players we have perhaps........

------------murphy
keogh, crainie, wood, hussey

Christie, thomas, clingan, Baker
---------------Bigi

---------------Juke

Last edited:

ccfc2011

Christie Hussey as wing backs i think this formation could work three in the middle two up front and 3 central defenders.

stupot07

The wing back system would have been badly exposed against cardiff's 451 last night. We'd have had 3 centre backs marking 1 striker, their two wide men would have pinned hussey and Cameron back and our midfield 3 would have been further away from the strikers as they are now. And their fullbacks would have been able to push up and double up on the wing backs.

wingy

After being so measly at the back up to Ipswich somethings gone off inthat department ,we need to become more solid ,4-5-1 for me with Christie and Hussey in front of Keogh and Cranie.

Having played in a 3-5-2 as a wing back, albeit at a much lower standard, it used to be easy for the opposition to drag the whole team out of shape (something im not sure our side can cope with well - west ham's 2nd goal)
against a simple 4-4-2, all the opposition have to do is for a full back to overlap the winger and the wing back has 2 men to contend with, draging one of the centre backs out of position.
Not a formation for this league I think. Either 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1/4-3-3 for me. Controls the middle of the pitch and provides width. Only downside is the lack of firepower upfront, but ours cant be reduced so its fine.
You need width in this league, and ours only comes from the full backs which is not enough.

Nonleagueherewecome

Welcome to the forum. I like the idea of a peculiar 4 2 2 2 with the wing backs playing up the flanks to provide crosses. We have a couple of fast wing backs so lets make use of them.

Ah, going for a Brazilian?

I've been mooting a 433/451 on here for a while now. I feel even more strongly about that after last night: the diamond is sussed out by opponents, and we need some protection for our full-backs. We don't have the players for a 442, but we might just for a 433

stupot07

Ah, going for a Brazilian?

I've been mooting a 433/451 on here for a while now. I feel even more strongly about that after last night: the diamond is sussed out by opponents, and we need some protection for our full-backs. We don't have the players for a 442, but we might just for a 433

I don't think Cardiff changed to suit us, from what I've seen of them they have played that 451 system and way all season.

PVA

3-5-2/wing backs is pretty much redundant these days with the number of teams that play one up front. Very few, if any teams play 3-5-2 any more.

I mentioned in another thread, but I would go 4-2-3-1:

Murphy

Keogh - Cranie - Wood - Hussey

Clingan - Thomas*

Bell - Baker - McSheffrey

Jutkiewicz​

*or Biggie or Deegan. Thomas deserves the shirt at the moment though out of those 3.

We wouldn't be as exposed down the flanks with this formation, and allows the trio behind Juke to roam and drift around without as much defensive responsibility as they have in the diamond.

stupot07

3-5-2/wing backs is pretty much redundant these days with the number of teams that play one up front. Very few, if any teams play 3-5-2 any more.

Murphy

Clingan - Thomas*

Jutkiewicz​

*or Biggie or Deegan. Thomas deserves the shirt at the moment though out of those 3.

We wouldn't be as exposed down the flanks with this formation, and allows the trio behind Juke to roam and drift around without as much defensive responsibility as they have in the diamond.

I think I would like to see this system, but I'm not sure there's enough pace in the baker,bell and sheffers to make it affective. Germany have muller, ozil and podalski who are all rapid and can get up and around the striker.

Only problem with this (4-5-1/4-3-3) is I could see us dropping incredibly deep leaving just the one up front, this could also happen for the 4-4-1-1. As for having Bell Baker and mcsheffery behind the striker I can't even describe the frustration this would bring!
Personally I think wing back is the best option

Murphy

Keogh
Carnie
Wood

Christie
Hussey

Clingan
Thomas
Bigirimana

Platt
Juke/Cody

Nonleagueherewecome

I don't think Cardiff changed to suit us, from what I've seen of them they have played that 451 system and way all season.

I didn't say they did, or even needed to: the 451 offers some protection to the FB, but against us they didn't need it as the ball out wide would only lead to a 1 on 1-or with our lack of movement, 1 attacker against 2 men.

Instead, when it came to Cardiff attacking, their full-back had nobody to mark. So he could wander up the touchline, with Thomas/Gael too narrow to get tight, and find himself in space with the wide striker/winger ahead of him occupying the full-back.

Time and again I saw McNaughton saunter forwards, initially just now and again, but eventually constantly, and stick his hand in the air to indicate that he was unmarked. It was so simple a Sunday League coach could have figured it out.

Nonleagueherewecome

Murphy

Clingan - Thomas*

Jutkiewicz​

Yep, that's the bunny ;)

The vital thing is that the wide men occupy the FB. To those saying it's too defensive-you tell Baker to get forwards and be the second striker.

The alternative is the 4123, with 3 CM's and two of them having massive licence to attack. In a defensive or attacking situation we should have 3 men out wide instead of 1 1/2 at the moment, whilst the wide-man on the opposite flank then tucks-in to act as the 2nd striker on the far post when attacking. My concern with the 4123 is that our central two midfielders would stay too deep and central, as they do in the diamond, whereas I'd be expecting at least one of them to push into the hole role (Baker?), as well as get wide when appropriate. It's probably a system that's too advanced for our players. Not for the first time...which is why I consider a simple 442 a feasible option in the circs.

stupot07

Yeah - that was because their right winger kiss kept coming inside dragging bigi in leaving acres out wide. The left winger conway just hugged the touch line. The only way to combat that was to go 451

Users who are viewing this thread