3G pitches......health risks & underhand planning techniques (1 Viewer)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Leading on from the swansea stadium thread, I've been reading up recently about the potential health risks linked to the 3G pitches....specifically the tyre crumb compound used in the mix to provide the bounce factor......this basically appears to be a toxic mix deemed too hazardous for landfill, but ok for kids to play footy on!

The reason I've been reading up on this is my local council are currently planning/building several of these across the citys green wedge......but as these pitches contain such harmful substances, it basically means that at the end of their useful life, the land becomes reclassified to a brownfield site......

....suddenly ripe for housing development right in the heart of former public green space.

Some more progressive nations have already ceased the building of these pitches & other have placed a moritorium on their progress until further studies into their potential long-term impact on human health, wildlife & biodiversity are better understood.

Seems to me that 3G pitches may be being used as trojan horse to enable future development on land that would normally be protected.......

....no such worries when it was 25-a-side & jumpers for goalposts on the local rec.....

wingy

Leading on from the swansea stadium thread, I've been reading up recently about the potential health risks linked to the 3G pitches....specifically the tyre crumb compound used in the mix to provide the bounce factor......this basically appears to be a toxic mix deemed too hazardous for landfill, but ok for kids to play footy on!

The reason I've been reading up on this is my local council are currently planning/building several of these across the citys green wedge......but as these pitches contain such harmful substances, it basically means that at the end of their useful life, the land becomes reclassified to a brownfield site......

....suddenly ripe for housing development right in the heart of former public green space.

Some more progressive nations have already ceased the building of these pitches & other have placed a moritorium on their progress until further studies into their potential long-term impact on human health, wildlife & biodiversity are better understood.

Seems to me that 3G pitches may be being used as trojan horse to enable future development on land that would normally be protected.......

....no such worries when it was 25-a-side & jumpers for goalposts on the local rec.....
Wouldn't be the first time.
There have been a few savvy Sports clubs employed this thinking over the Years .
Believe there might be a trojan Sports site beyond Aldermans Green ,opposite the Gipsy site .

Captain Dart

If you play on those tyre bit filled pitches you have to clean out any cut you pick up with antiseptic or the cut will go gobby.

The Council are definitely on a course to destroy the geenbelt, complete bastards.

Terry Gibson's perm

I watched the Hamilton v rangers game at the weekend and one of the players went down injured and when he sat up he was covered in the little black bits

chiefdave

Is this what they are proposing at the BPA ?
Was wondering the same. If these pitches are going to be come more common what happens when they reach the end of their life. Everyone isn't going to be building new grounds every few years!

Users who are viewing this thread