33 years ago today (1 Viewer)

Adge

Coventry City 3-2 Leeds Utd.
Our first trip to Wembley on the horizon.
A minibus full of us from Cardinal Wiseman School and were only age 13 at the time. Wonder if anyone else from here was on it?
Great times.

Magwitch

I remember the return back to Cov we got to the end of the M69 and the road into the City centre was packed right back to the M6 junction so the police directed traffic left down the M6 to the Rugby turn then we came back up the M6 to the A46 junction so there were cars, coaches and mini-buses all with their scarves out papping their horns going. south and the same going north, amazing.

As for the match there was a difference, it was on a Sunday and something to do with the Lords Day Observance, rules were different then, it was shown on tv an hour after kick-off so by the time we got back the Hinckley/Ansty/ Walsgrave roads were packed with people waving and cheering, to be honest it was a bit emotional.

Covkid1968#

I’ve got Sillets team sheet that was on the board at Ryton that day for everyone to see who had been picked and what time the bus left... I’ll post a picture of it later when I’ve finished weeding the estate

Covkid1968#

It’s the reserve team that’s on there that interests me.... recognise a few but lots who never played for the 1st team

Ring Of Steel

Remember how they had a delay on the TV coverage? 15 mins I think, so when the final whistle blew thousands back home didn’t yet know we’d won.

will never forget a banner hanging off a motorway bridge which said “90 minutes from Wembley” with people giving the thumbs up- magical stuff.

Cov kid 55

I drove up to Hillsborough without a ticket. Walked into the ticket office just as a Cov fan walked in trying to give in a spare ticket. Timing! At the final whistle a really attractive woman behind me gave me a massive hug. It was a very emotional day, knowing our team were going to Wembley. I then repaid the favour (to the guy, not the attractive woman!) when a couple of days before the final, I was offered a second ticket and was able to give it to the guy who’d given me a ticket at Hillsborough. We kept in touch for a while afterwards, he’d moved to Great Yarmouth. Wonder what happened to him...

Ring Of Steel

that’s fantastic

I won the ‘spot the ball’ competition in 1987 and was presented with a signed ball before the Sheff Weds game, the week before the quarter final against them. Martin Lane gave it to me, and I always remember Dave Bennett mucking about in the tunnel with his shirt off. Timing is everything and wasn’t a bad time to win a signed ball as it’s signed by the cup winning squad- it’s up in the loft and I’ll see if I can dig it out

SkyBlueCharlie9

Always remember arriving at Hillsborough as a 14 year old on that massive kop end packed to the rafters with sky blue fans... absolutely blew my mind as I'd never been anywhere near a semi final before (or since thinking about it). The Leeds fans made the atmosphere special and loved the neutral venue - a quality stadium which hasn't changed all that much since. The day was special and the city celebrated in style.

Ring Of Steel

Always remember arriving at Hillsborough as a 14 year old on that massive kop end packed to the rafters with sky blue fans... absolutely blew my mind as I'd never been anywhere near a semi final before (or since thinking about it). The Leeds fans made the atmosphere special and loved the neutral venue - a quality stadium which hasn't changed all that much since. The day was special and the city celebrated in style.

I think we had a bit to do with making it a special atmosphere as well...

oscillatewildly

It’s the reserve team that’s on there that interests me.... recognise a few but lots who never played for the 1st team
I love the old fashioned formation titles which were defunct nearly 20 years prior! Neil Sillett must have been George Dalton's physio understudy at the time but who was 'A Sillett' included in the travelling party? Other than being John's other son maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread