24/25 changes? (6 Viewers)

Hobo

Offset against the games he's kept us in with saves?

You could of said that about Wilson last year but you didn't?

We have two error prone keepers who can't dominate the six yard box. Also when it comes to playing out from the back they both consistently make the wrong decisions and play us into trouble.

rob9872

Is that transfer fees, or transfer fees plus agent fees plus wages?
Wages as replacement is would be neutral so it's just the fees that I expect us to get from Vik being sold.

Hobo

Wages as replacement is would be neutral so it's just the fees that I expect us to get from Vik being sold.
You are talking upgrading players, we are massively behind the top six in wages etc Publish that league and we are around 18th!

fernandopartridge

You could of said that about Wilson last year but you didn't?

We have two error prone keepers who can't dominate the six yard box. Also when it comes to playing out from the back they both consistently make the wrong decisions and play us into trouble.
Wilson had little to do most of last season in comparison

quinn1971

Guessing getting a No1 keeper in the summer wouldnt of been part of robins plans, but we‘ll need one, think Collins just edges it so Wilson goes, maybe the Rotherham keeper, had a bit of a howler against us but still decent, reckon most of our new signings will be from abroad again, so no point in trying to guess them as well never of heard of them, another big summer coming up

Deity

Two years also not long term but he had a year left so really it was a year extension.
You’re a pedant but the material point is we extended the contract of a player that was not good enough.

He was likely to leave and we gave him a revised contract that could keep him at the club for 2 years more than we should have.

shmmeee

You’re a pedant but the material point is we extended the contract of a player that was not good enough.

He was likely to leave and we gave him a revised contract that could keep him at the club for 2 years more than we should have.

At the time he was scoring and our new signings weren’t 🤷🏻‍♂️ And it probably means we’ll get a nominal fee for him this summer.

It’s hardly four years for David Bell

shmmeee

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to sell Sheaf, as much as it pains me as he’s my favourite player.

His value is at its peak, that’s the model. He deserves a shot at PL if it’s there. And most importantly i think the squad needs a fair amount spent and we don’t want to rely on Viks potential transfer saga.

I’d be looking for 8/9 players, 5/6 of which would cost money I think.

GK - Someone better than we’ve got ££
CB - Development player £
CB - Experienced free
LB - Someone better than we’ve got ££
CM - Sheaf replacement £££
CM - Experienced free
AM - O’Hare replacement £££
ST - Experienced free
RW - Development player £

That’s a lot of ducks to line up on the chance Vik leaves in a timely manner. And probably more than Viks money would provide.

long way home

Its a big summer and one that will be another building block phase. Still some players needed to be moved on and some out of contract that will be gone come June. We will need to add 4 or 5 again, but really need to get 2 or 3 of Howley, Burroughs, Obikwu or Andrews to step up and force the way into 1st team squads.

Its important to bring quality in but we definitely make it easier on ourselves if some of those kids can bridge the gap.

biggymania

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to sell Sheaf, as much as it pains me as he’s my favourite player.

His value is at its peak, that’s the model. He deserves a shot at PL if it’s there. And most importantly i think the squad needs a fair amount spent and we don’t want to rely on Viks potential transfer saga.

I’d be looking for 8/9 players, 5/6 of which would cost money I think.

GK - Someone better than we’ve got ££
CB - Development player £
CB - Experienced free
LB - Someone better than we’ve got ££
CM - Sheaf replacement £££
CM - Experienced free
AM - O’Hare replacement £££
ST - Experienced free
RW - Development player £

That’s a lot of ducks to line up on the chance Vik leaves in a timely manner. And probably more than Viks money would provide.
Totally agree - think I outlined in this thread or another similar that we’ve spent all the Gyok and Hamer fees already - so unless Doug is willing to deepen the losses, we need to sell.

I think it’s clear he wants a sustainable model so his goal will be to keep identifying talent and using it to perpetually bolster the wider squad by selling the superstars. In addition, he keeps banging the drum on ticket sales because I think this is also influential. I’d imagine his goal is to break 20k season tickets for 24/25 season.

As you mention the potential sell on fees for Gyok or Hamer aren’t something we can control the timing of nor will they cover the funds we’d ideally like to spend. I’d imagine we’re looking at spending another maybe 15-20M if we can. Maybe one larger signing (8M) and a range of 4-1M Torp/Saks esque “finds”.

Sheaf definitely at the apex of his valuation with us right now, it will only decrease as he ages and his contract ticks down. It might just be the right move for all parties, although it will massively destabilise us on the field.

Hincha

The O'hare saga will mean Doug won't want any more key players reaching their last year. I think Sheaf will move on.

If Gyok goes too we'll have a very nice transfer purse.

I actually think one of the priorities should be another first choice winger. There is a growing trend of teams rotating 4 top quality wingers and consistently substituting them between 55-65 minutes to really turn the screw on tiring full backs.

Haven't had a chance to do this at all this season with only Wright/Saka as recognised wingers.

Deity

You are talking upgrading players, we are massively behind the top six in wages etc Publish that league and we are around 18th!
I think that data is 12 months out of date

I doubt very much we were 18th this season.

skybluecam

I disagree, think that just pushes us back another season.

Right now I could see us starting the first game of next season with 10/11 of the lineup being players we already have. The only new player starting will be O'Hare's replacement or EMC. And our first choice 11 has already shown this year that it is comfortably good enough for the playoffs.

Losing Sheaf means we have the gamble of finding a replacement, plus the loss of that stability. He's the heartbeat of the team.

biggymania

Right now I could see us starting the first game of next season with 10/11 of the lineup being players we already have. The only new player starting will be O'Hare's replacement or EMC. And our first choice 11 has already shown this year that it is comfortably good enough for the playoffs.

Losing Sheaf means we have the gamble of finding a replacement, plus the loss of that stability. He's the heartbeat of the team.
That is exactly what everyone was saying about Hamer and I am sure Robins & Doug felt that and discussed it too. The reality is, we don't have the budget to throw away a selling opportunity that can level up the rest of the squad. We would use the money to sign maybe 3-5 other really high quality talents on 4+ year deals who will also make us a profit. That is the model. This is the way.

shmmeee

I just think that’s the reality of our situation as a club. You’ve got to trust the management team to be able to replace him. No arguments from me on his impact, but that’s the nature of PL quality players.

skybluecam

That is exactly what everyone was saying about Hamer and I am sure Robins & Doug felt that and discussed it too. The reality is, we don't have the budget to throw away a selling opportunity that can level up the rest of the squad. We would use the money to sign maybe 3-5 other really high quality talents on 4+ year deals who will also make us a profit. That is the model. This is the way.
But has it not rung true with Hamer/Vik?

We’ve come up short this season with a big reason being our poor start to the season adapting to new players. I feel if we can keep Sheaf we’re in a position to really push in the league next year, then we can reasses next summer.

shmmeee

We’ve come up short this season with a big reason being our poor start to the season adapting to new players. I feel if we can keep Sheaf we’re in a position to really push in the league next year, then we can reasses next summer.

I think the shortened pre season and losing Hamer late are as much to blame. Which is why I’d sell Sheaf early to guarantee new players can come in early.

What if Vik moves on deadline day?

TomRad85

I think the shortened pre season and losing Hamer late are as much to blame. Which is why I’d sell Sheaf early to guarantee new players can come in early.

What if Vik moves on deadline day?
I don't disagree with you on this. If we can get £15 million plus for Sheaf you have to take it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

biggymania

I think it's indisputable that the squad we have today is a direct result of those sales and despite the league position (you can argue we over-performed last year) we have progressed on the pitch this year. So I believe it validates those sales - and I would also remind you that we can really do fuck all if a player wants to leave anyway. So, sell at the apex of the evaluation, fund the squad - level up. Move on.

That's the model. This is the way.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think it's indisputable that the squad we have today is a direct result of those sales and despite the league position (you can argue we over-performed last year) we have progressed on the pitch this year. So I believe it validates those sales - and I would also remind you that we can really do fuck all if a player wants to leave anyway. So, sell at the apex of the evaluation, fund the squad - level up. Move on.

Thanks Doug - duly noted ;)

skybluecam

At some point you have to go for it though. Next summer I wouldn't be surprised to see Simms, Milan, Wright etc leave if we don't get promoted.

The watchmaker

I just think that’s the reality of our situation as a club. You’ve got to trust the management team to be able to replace him. No arguments from me on his impact, but that’s the nature of PL quality players.
I don't necessarily disagree but it is very dependent on whether the right offer is in the table and I'm not sure I see anyone offering what we'd want for him. He's not flashy like Vik and Gus and the market might well be dead this summer. What do we think we could get for him? If it's less than £5m it's probably not worth it.

shmmeee

I don't necessarily disagree but it is very dependent on whether the right offer is in the table and I'm not sure I see anyone offering what we'd want for him. He's not flashy like Vik and Gus and the market might well be dead this summer. What do we think we could get for him? If it's less than £5m it's probably not worth it.

There’s no way it would be less than £5m.

Hertsccfc

I guess measuring progress depends on what you feel is important.

On the one hand, we have how much have we followed the model and not been diverted from the long term project. On the other you have, have we improved our league position.

I am more in the second camp whilst accepting the model should be the general approach. However, there are real dangers of decline if we are not pragmatic.

If we keep selling players once they become good and replacing them with inexperienced prospects who will need time to develop it's difficult to see progress. In that case will we keep or grow our fanbase? I am not convinced.

I feel frustrated that we haven't maintained a play off push because we didn’t have a big enough squad because the model wouldn't allow it. A couple of seasons like this and the decline could become irreversible in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread