24/25 changes? (4 Viewers)

biggymania

He is immense. Wouldn't take anything under £15m for him. And that would be in 12 months time.
Totally agree - no clue about valuation but I'd hope for a bit more even, this summer. Selling with 1 year left on the deal rarely gets you the best offer. Sheaf is also 26, so I think this summer is the most we will ever get for him, when you consider age, contract length, performance & exposure. Doug & Robins may decide that this is the right time.

Boicey

I think we need 2 or 3 quality signings to step us up a notch. I’d rather that than quantity. Hopefully a number 10 who can tackle back a bit more than COH to provide more midfield cover.
Will be interesting to see EMC, can he track back to help the likes of Bidwell more than Wright?
I guess we have to make do with Collins although a big assertive keeper who can command the box would help our defence out a lot. Maybe they don’t exist anymore.

rexo87

obviously 3-4 exciting young talents would be great but i think having lost Fadz and now Kelly in the summer we could do with a couple of more experienced heads at CB and CM for the squad. People like Mcnair and Howson at Boro or Alan Browne as someone just said above

rob9872

How about Alan Browne from Preston NE?

Terrific midfielder. He is their captain but I think - just like O'hare - he is out of contract in the summer.

He really would be a steal!!
Can't stand him, but guess I might change my mind if he played for us.

Hertsccfc

I think Sheaf is at the peak of his valuation under us, considering his contract situation.

Depending on the model Doug is aiming for, that might mean we will opt to sell him and strengthen the squad with the proceeds. Can make arguments both ways - but I feel like this is quite likely to happen if decent bids come in.
I tend to agree and also wonder whether he would feel he needs to move up now if he gets the chance in the summer. He might feel he can't wait around for another transitional season or two here.

jim20

I’m surprised at people saying all of the Gyokeres and Hamer money is gone, I would’ve thought they would’ve kept £8-10million knowing we would need to strengthen again this summer. Then if we don’t get up next season sell a player again to give us a further £10/£15 million to strengthen further

JSL

How many add on fees will be due this summer for the players we bought last summer?

Hertsccfc

There’s a lot of underestimating how much is needed to be an automatic challenging team. There’s a lot of improvement required to be a Top 4 team.

We’ve got a good foundation, but a long way to go still.
Yes it's completely different raising your level for one off matches compared with being consistently one of the best two teams in the league. We don't have the squad depth for that.

The rhetoric seems to be this is a long term project with the aim of getting to the play offs a couple of times in five years, so autos presumably has to wait longer than that unless we get lucky.

It took Brentford six years under the model and it seems this is our approach. So presumably we should be looking to cash in on Sheaf this summer and then players like Simms, Wright and Sakamoto next summer and rebuild stronger each time?

ccfcricoh

I’m surprised at people saying all of the Gyokeres and Hamer money is gone, I would’ve thought they would’ve kept £8-10million knowing we would need to strengthen again this summer. Then if we don’t get up next season sell a player again to give us a further £10/£15 million to strengthen further
Not sure we held back too much. a quick look on transfermarkt suggests this, take with a pinch of salt but it wont be a million miles away!

1713886248681.png
Not sure

biggymania

Let's say £8m total for Simms, £9m for Wright, £4m for Kitching - that's Gyok's total transfer fee inc. bonuses (24M EUR) swallowed.

This doesn't include the fees for Thomas, Sakamoto, MVE, Torp all of which were permanent signings with decent fees. So I don't think we're far off spending most of that transfer income.

EDIT: I also forgot EMC - if we take newspaper reports (likely inflated) I make Thomas, Saks, MVE, Torp & EMC totalling ~18M. I'm sure the real figures are a bit lower but that tells me we've already re-invested all of the Hamer & Gyokeres money.

That doesn't mean that's all there is. Revenue is increasing of course from ticket sales, cup run, better TV deal etc.

I tend to agree and also wonder whether he would feel he needs to move up now if he gets the chance in the summer. He might feel he can't wait around for another transitional season or two here.
Agree, I can see that you could convince Sheaf to stay one more season - but he'll be closer to 28 by the time the 25/26 season kicks off. He's performing at his peak - he has shown he can operate at a higher level and if a good offer comes in I think we'd need to consider it carefully - especially when you consider my (probably terrible) maths above. We've spent plenty of our transfer income from Gyok & Hamer already.

skyblueelephant76

There’s a lot of underestimating how much is needed to be an automatic challenging team. There’s a lot of improvement required to be a Top 4 team.

We’ve got a good foundation, but a long way to go still.
I only see us being playoff challengers again next season:

- The relegated teams will still be strong

- at least one of the current top 4 will still be here

- Hull, Middlesbrough, Norwich, West Brom will be strong (if none of them go up)

We'll need good recruitment, improvement from the current players and luck with injuries

Brighton Sky Blue

- Hull, Middlesbrough, Norwich, West Brom will be strong (if none of them go up)

We'll need good recruitment, improvement from the current players and luck with injuries
I’d expect strong campaigns from Bristol and QPR

skyblueelephant76

I think the point is lots of other teams will also be saying they could be challenging with a few good additions.

We'll probably be one of 10 teams fighting for 3 places

JSL

Hull are full of loans and will not have them again. I also suspect that their manager will get dumped if they fail to make the play offs

blunted

Assuming we don't make the playoffs this season which would need a minor miracle (although we are good at those), we need to aim for automatic next year. Not King's policy but two absolute quality loans would help along with a few good buys. Won't second guess MR and AV, as they will know what they want. I don't object to loans, because if we get promoted, we will have to rebuild the team anyway.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes it's completely different raising your level for one off matches compared with being consistently one of the best two teams in the league. We don't have the squad depth for that.

The rhetoric seems to be this is a long term project with the aim of getting to the play offs a couple of times in five years, so autos presumably has to wait longer than that unless we get lucky.

It took Brentford six years under the model and it seems this is our approach. So presumably we should be looking to cash in on Sheaf this summer and then players like Simms, Wright and Sakamoto next summer and rebuild stronger each time?

Agreed.

Our starting point from last season is a lot stronger. Midfield needs more bodies out wide (RW) and centrally (AM & CM) as a priority. Personally, it’s area I feel we’ve lacked the most against too half teams too.

Afterward, a striker is needed to replace Godden and keep Simms/Wright on their toes. We need 1 or 2 CBs; one to replace McFadz and/or Binks.

Bare minimum, you’re looking at 5 signings that need to be starting quality.

JoeCCFCPUSB

We need a new Keeper and a new centre back, we have a really strong attacking group, we have an equally strong midfield. We have a really unreliable defence, that will ultimately be the difference. We have seen how many goals Simms/ Wright can score for us.

Binks alone aint enough, we need Mcnally at the minimum back in, i just don't rate Bobby Thomas and Kitching as a centre back pairing that will see us promoted to the Premier League. We really need a second choice pairing that will actually improve Bobby and Kitch.

Hincha

I think we'll do more business than people think.

1. CB
2. CM
3. CAM
4. FWD (covers ST and the wings like Wright)

are minimum.

5. CM
6. LB
7. CB
8. RB
9. GK

I think we'll go for if both Sheaf & Gyok both move this summer (won't necessarily get them all - depends on the right deal presenting itself).

rob9872

We need a new Keeper and a new centre back, we have a really strong attacking group, we have an equally strong midfield. We have a really unreliable defence, that will ultimately be the difference. We have seen how many goals Simms/ Wright can score for us.

Binks alone aint enough, we need Mcnally at the minimum back in, i just don't rate Bobby Thomas and Kitching as a centre back pairing that will see us promoted to the Premier League. We really need a second choice pairing that will actually improve Bobby and Kitch.
Your opinion of course, but do you not think we're more exposed at the back because of our more expansive play? We score and create a lot more than previously and are, in most games, playing a 4 rather than a 5. I'm not totally disagreeing with you, just think there are mitigating factors.

Hertsccfc

Agreed.

Our starting point from last season is a lot stronger. Midfield needs more bodies out wide (RW) and centrally (AM & CM) as a priority. Personally, it’s area I feel we’ve lacked the most against too half teams too.

Afterward, a striker is needed to replace Godden and keep Simms/Wright on their toes. We need 1 or 2 CBs; one to replace McFadz and/or Binks.

Bare minimum, you’re looking at 5 signings that need to be starting quality.
Don't agree those are the priority areas.

For me the obvious areas we need to improve are goalkeeper, left back and AM assuming O'Hare goes. We'd also need another CM if Sheaf goes, more cover upfront and a defender if we don't keep Binks.

Mucca Mad Boys

Don't agree those are the priority areas.

For me the obvious areas we need to improve are goalkeeper, left back and AM assuming O'Hare goes. We'd also need another CM if Sheaf goes, more cover upfront and a defender if we don't keep Binks.

I know you wouldn’t agree.

We have 2 left backs and 2 GK. Therefore, they are ‘nice to have’ rather than a need.

AM - we only have Palmer and Allen going into 2024/25
CM - only Eccles, Sheaf and Torp - that’s not enough for 46+ games
RW - only Sakamoto
ST - Simms and Wright are starters with no backup if Godden goes
CB - Lati is set to become our only cover for RB and CB so a definite need there

As for LB and GK, you don’t need to look to allocate funds unless you’re getting rid of players. Atm, that seems unlikely.

Sky Blue Harry H

He’s said as much hasn’t he?
When was that ? Thought he signed that long (ish) contract as he said he was loving it here? Of course, any footballer wants to progress, but having got to Wembley in successive years, you'd think that the experience he is having here would be a huge sway too (plus we can do what is best for the club/team regarding keep/sell as he has 2 years left on his contract.

djr8369

When was that ? Thought he signed that long (ish) contract as he said he was loving it here? Of course, any footballer wants to progress, but having got to Wembley in successive years, you'd think that the experience he is having here would be a huge sway too (plus we can do what is best for the club/team regarding keep/sell as he has 2 years left on his contract.
One of the possible ITKs mentioned it, he said in one of his prematch interviews that he wants to play in the prem sooner rather than later.

JSL

The truth is, we wont know what to expect until it happens. Who would have thought that last summer we would have bought a goalkeeper after the season Ben Wilson had just had? We knew centre backs, a top quality striker and a box to box midfielder would be needed to replace Vic and Hamer and some of the players released, but nobody had an inkling of the names we would end up with and the signing of Tats was a complete surprise. The only name mentioned that we knew something about was JDS as he nearly came in January. Nobody had heard of Top or EMC in January until they signed. Keep guessing folk but I suspect we will all be well wide of the actual reality.

djr8369

The truth is, we wont know what to expect until it happens. Who would have thought that last summer we would have bought a goalkeeper after the season Ben Wilson had just had? We knew centre backs, a top quality striker and a box to box midfielder would be needed to replace Vic and Hamer and some of the players released, but nobody had an inkling of the names we would end up with and the signing of Tats was a complete surprise. The only name mentioned that we knew something about was JDS as he nearly came in January. Nobody had heard of Top or EMC in January until they signed. Keep guessing folk but I suspect we will all be well wide of the actual reality.
I know some enjoy it but the guessing seems pointless to me for the reasons highlighted. I enjoy the rumours though.

Users who are viewing this thread