21st Century or 1984......one for the teachers (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Quite a good idea I think! It will see things that teachers in the classroom miss and help pick up if kids are sat struggling in silence or if they have finished their work and sat messing about so need to be given more challenging stuff.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Quite a good idea I think! It will see things that teachers in the classroom miss and help pick up if kids are sat struggling in silence or if they have finished their work and sat messing about so need to be given more challenging stuff.

Its not just about supervision by camera though Nick......have you watched it?

Nick

Administrator
The algorithm stuff looks good, where it can learn what other kids the same are doing.

The point raised about teachers was valid too, it could phase out where actual teachers are needed rather than people who just get the stats and hand over the auto generated work.

wingy

$ 30K per an to attend a lab school.
This guy will end up a lot richer than he already is as it rolls out.
As always my question is, where are the people?
In a world where humans are needed less then what are we educating them for, or to be?

shmmeee

I've always wanted cameras in classes, just for parents evening to show some of them what their little shits are like.

Problem is it'd lead to heads just sitting like Sharon Stone in Sliver watching all the screens.

Not sure about it from a data science viewpoint. Schools don't use the data they've got really apart from the made up teacher entered stuff. It's really useful for teacher training though.

oakey

What's not to like? A low cost option which produces a load of geek loners with just the required skills to be consumers and producers of stuff the machine says we need.

This is already being discussed in education conferences and the version I have heard is seriously under consideration is a low cost package for the masses, paid for by the state with top ups for those with the money for all the extras, such as drama, art, music lessons, advanced mathematics etc.
The state only has to provide a tablet computer and some supervisors in a rented space for x hours per week. Job done.
Will not affect me as I retire in 3 years, or fewer, but I fear for those yet unborn.

Ian1779

One of the skills of a really good teacher is picking up on those little nuances, words that kids say that trigger in your brain a sign of lack of understanding or misconception. I can't see how a computer would ever be able to pick up on these things... so in my opinion it won't even be of a comparable standard.

Users who are viewing this thread