2023 Championship Table (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Now we've played the last game of the year, thought I'd have a look at this. Obviously helped by the fact we've been in the division for the whole calendar year (i.e. the promoted/relegated teams have played ~25 fewer games in the Championship) but another case of showing how far we've come in the last few years. If we can turn a few draws into wins we'll bridge the gap to the next level.

1703940437320.png

OffenhamSkyBlue

Interesting, but of course the table is skewed slightly by the absence of the three teams who were promoted, who obviously had the best records. 70 points (from 46 games, not the 47 we have played this year) - or even Boro's 75 - has never been anywhere NEAR getting automatic promotion in any year (and look at the gulf between the promoted sides and the rest of the Prem this season) . We need to win far more than 36% of games to make that step up. We may sneak a play-off berth from time-to-time but we need to accept that we are a solid second tier club until we close that gap.

shmmeee

Interesting, but of course the table is skewed slightly by the absence of the three teams who were promoted, who obviously had the best records. 70 points (from 46 games, not the 47 we have played this year) - or even Boro's 75 - has never been anywhere NEAR getting automatic promotion in any year (and look at the gulf between the promoted sides and the rest of the Prem this season) . We need to win far more than 36% of games to make that step up. We may sneak a play-off berth from time-to-time but we need to accept that we are a solid second tier club until we close that gap.

You close that gap by getting promoted or bought by a billionaire.

SkyBlueSoul

That's my point though, "the next level" for us is making the play-offs fairly regularly. At least that's what Doug's aiming for with 3 out of the next 5 years if we don't get promoted in that time. Get 75-80 points and we'll make it more often than not. Turning 5 draws into wins gets us the extra 10 points to make that happen (I think my maths is right there...). Then we're at least in the hat to go up. Not saying that's our ceiling by any stretch, just the next step. Either way, it's nice to even be having this discussion these days.

Gint11

I remember how difficult it was for us when we came back into the championship yet Ipswich have made it look easy. But then you look at say, Rotherham, and they constantly struggle. I guess we’re somewhere in between.

Brighton Sky Blue

I remember how difficult it was for us when we came back into the championship yet Ipswich have made it look easy. But then you look at say, Rotherham, and they constantly struggle. I guess we’re somewhere in between.
We had a serious disadvantage in having such a long gap between our last League 1 game and the start of the Championship. Under normal circumstances we’d have gone on to win the title on the pitch, have bumper crowds for the return and a fair bit more to spend.

Sky Blue Harry H

If we have the same team which rarely happens
Think it's fairly obvious we will have the nucleus of the current team. All (bar C O'H) on longish contracts; under no pressure to sell - unless we get offered silly money we wish to reinvest. Really no reason why we shouldn't be stronger next season than this, given team cohesion gained from this season plus strengthening.

Skybluedownunder

Gutted we conceded last minute, when we gave away that free kick you could just feel it about to happen in slow motion.
We could have been sitting 8th going into the new year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Just under 10% progress from 2022, do that again and we're easily play offs again

That said, we actually won more points calendar year 2021 than 2022
bdc2f4a98fb65610bb9e29457927ec0a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SkyBlueSoul

Just under 10% progress from 2022, do that again and we're easily play offs again

That said, we actually won more points calendar year 2021 than 2022
bdc2f4a98fb65610bb9e29457927ec0a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I forget just how good our start to the 21/22 season was, inexplicably in the playoffs for the first few months. We're still 3 points behind where we were after this many games.

Kilclines curly mullet

If we have the same team which rarely happens
We have some fringe players to move on and to add a bit of quality here and there but remember most of last summers signings are on long term contracts. That, added to the fact that we have so few loans alludes to the fact that the majority of the squad will be here for the next couple of seasons at least

Ohare I think is the only big name out of contract this summer

Gint11

We have some fringe players to move on and to add a bit of quality here and there but remember most of last summers signings are on long term contracts. That, added to the fact that we have so few loans alludes to the fact that the majority of the squad will be here for the next couple of seasons at least

Ohare I think is the only big name out of contract this summer
I generally agree but playing devils advocate if they carry on, players like Tatsu, Wright and MVE might be in demand. Being on long contracts doesn’t mean they won’t leave, we just don’t lose out financially.

Skybluedownunder

Norwich beating Hull is good as it means no team in 7th place goes to far out of reach, kind of levels everything out if we win against Leicester we go 7th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread