2023/2024 Second Best Season of All Time (1 Viewer)

messiahrobins

That i have seen, i was too young to remember when we finished 6th in Div 1 as it was back then and played in Europe.
1987 obviously the greatest ever season, but this season has given so much joy and wonderful memories for a lifetime, i cannot think of a better season other than 87.
Some are obviously upset we didnt make the play offs and blame the FA Cup run, but honestly, would people really have swapped the FA Cup run and beating Man Utd in that manner (we won really) at Wembley for a play off spot, when we probably wouldn't have gone up anyway as defensively we are not quite there yet.
I hope nobody chimes in with any season in the Strachan era, we chronically underachieved under him given the squads he had.

Evo1883

That i have seen, i was too young to remember when we finished 6th in Div 1 as it was back then and played in Europe.
1987 obviously the greatest ever season, but this season has given so much joy and wonderful memories for a lifetime, i cannot think of a better season other than 87.
Some are obviously upset we didnt make the play offs and blame the FA Cup run, but honestly, would people really have swapped the FA Cup run and beating Man Utd in that manner (we won really) at Wembley for a play off spot, when we probably wouldn't have gone up anyway as defensively we are not quite there yet.
I hope nobody chimes in with any season in the Strachan era, we chronically underachieved under him given the squads he had.

Well personally 97/98 was a better season, we were chasing european football

messiahrobins

Well personally 97/98 was a better season, we were chasing european football
And failed to make it when we had a squad that should have made it and that failure arguably financially ruined us for 2 decades as we had budgeted for European football.

messiahrobins

If you recall back then Richardson had huge hopes for us, i think he was quoted saying we were going to be the new Real Madrid or something whacky like that, but the point being the club back then, like a few others at the time, massively spent beyond their means chasing European football which was where the huge money was. Chippo Hadji Keano (remmember that song lol) and others such as Mcallister before them were on by our standards massive wages.
Strachan was like a kid in a candy store and instead of playing players in their best positions even if it meant leaving star players on the bench, just put all the big names in the side often some out of position.
He also dropped Oggy for no reason when Hedman (who could have been a top keeper for us) wasnt ready to start.

fernandopartridge

If you recall back then Richardson had huge hopes for us, i think he was quoted saying we were going to be the new Real Madrid or something whacky like that, but the point being the club back then, like a few others at the time, massively spent beyond their means chasing European football which was where the huge money was. Chippo Hadji Keano (remmember that song lol) and others such as Mcallister before them were on by our standards massive wages.
Strachan was like a kid in a candy store and instead of playing players in their best positions even if it meant leaving star players on the bench, just put all the big names in the side often some out of position.
He also dropped Oggy for no reason when Hedman (who could have been a top keeper for us) wasnt ready to start.

Please find this Real Madrid quote.

Your timeline doesn't work, Chippo, Hadji, Keane were all signed in 1999 after this failed European push. After a season where we'd finished 15th iirc.

Oggy was past it by then and making regular errors, Hedman came in and was great to begin with. It was only later on that his form declined actually.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

And failed to make it when we had a squad that should have made it and that failure arguably financially ruined us for 2 decades as we had budgeted for European football.
And we failed to make the play-offs with a squad that probably should have made it with some very expensive signings in it. Nor did we get to the Cup Final.

It's been a decent enough season overall, though the start and end have been disappointing, but don't think we can rate it as one of the best ever.

Ashdown

We’ve had some great spells this season and played some excellent football. Highlights were the wins over Leicester, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Leeds and Man United.
At one point I fancied us to beat anyone on the day!
Defence needs a leader for next season to build on it.

SwanLane

Not much to pick between this season and last. Both are the best since we dropped out of the PL.

Before that, 86-87 (obvs)

Other than that, I can’t pick between 97-98, 99-00 and 92-93. All had their ups and downs but I’d be tempted to pick 92-93 from the PL era.

pusbccfc

It's been a brilliant season. Once the dust has settled in a month's time, people will look back on it and remember the games and moments. I've enjoyed it more than last season personally.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Nowhere near the second best season ever. We're not even in the premier league .
A couple of years under Gordon Milne following that end of season 2-2 with Bristol City were the best I can remember. We beat anyone we fancied at home. No one liked coming to Highfield Road. We were fantastic to watch .
Hutch, Wallace, Ferguson, Powell, Yorath, McDonald, Graydon, Lloyd, Blyth etc etc.

Absolutely no disrespect to Mark Robins on this one because he's hauled us out of the arse end of the football league and Gordon Milne didn't have to. Football has changed dramatically since those days and I would probably consider Robins on a par with Jimmy Hill if he gets us promoted, given our circumstances.

messiahrobins

And we failed to make the play-offs with a squad that probably should have made it with some very expensive signings in it. Nor did we get to the Cup Final.

It's been a decent enough season overall, though the start and end have been disappointing, but don't think we can rate it as one of the best ever.
We made the Cup final. We won 4-3, that is a fact, cannot just blindly accept blatant corruption.
As for the play offs, squad isnt deep enough to sustain a challenge in 2 tournaments so cannot say we failed. We picked the FA Cup this season and that was the right thing to do inmho.

messiahrobins

Nowhere near the second best season ever. We're not even in the premier league .
A couple of years under Gordon Milne following that end of season 2-2 with Bristol City were the best I can remember. We beat anyone we fancied at home. No one liked coming to Highfield Road. We were fantastic to watch .
Hutch, Wallace, Ferguson, Powell, Yorath, McDonald, Graydon, Lloyd, Blyth etc etc.

Absolutely no disrespect to Mark Robins on this one because he's hauled us out of the arse end of the football league and Gordon Milne didn't have to. Football has changed dramatically since those days and I would probably consider Robins on a par with Jimmy Hill if he gets us promoted, given our circumstances.
Second time in our histroy we made the Fa Cup final (which in reality we did do).

MalcSB

It's been a brilliant season. Once the dust has settled in a month's time, people will look back on it and remember the games and moments. I've enjoyed it more than last season personally.
I haven’t. I feel a bit disappointed this season. Other than the 4-0 loss to Stoke when I had taken a friend to his first City match, watching Hamer and Vik destroy teams was really enjoyable. Overcoming the pitch debacle, seeing Wasps go bust and fuck off in to oblivion, Wilson scoring v Blackburn, the playoff semis and the trip to Wembley itself were all fantastic. This season has started and finished like a damp squib. I am not sure losing to Man Utd at Wembley makes up for it.

pusbccfc

I haven’t. I feel a bit disappointed this season. Other than the 4-0 loss to Stoke when I had taken a friend to his first City match, watching Hamer and Vik destroy teams was really enjoyable. Overcoming the pitch debacle, seeing Wasps go bust and fuck off in to oblivion, Wilson scoring v Blackburn, the playoff semis and the trip to Wembley itself were all fantastic. This season has started and finished like a damp squib. I am not sure losing to Man Utd at Wembley makes up for it.

The Leeds, Leicester and Birmingham games were as good if not better than any home game last season.

Wembley for the FA Cup was better than the play offs too. In fact, I'd put Wolves on par with Middlesbrough away too.

Crowds much higher, we've scored a lot more goals and played much bigger sides too.

None of that compares to Wasps going bust, I'll give you that!

MalcSB

The Leeds, Leicester and Birmingham games were as good if not better than any home game last season.

Wembley for the FA Cup was better than the play offs too. In fact, I'd put Wolves on par with Middlesbrough away too.

Crowds much higher, we've scored a lot more goals and played much bigger sides too.

None of that compares to Wasps going bust, I'll give you that!
How could I have omitted including SISU following Wasps out of the city in my list making last season preferable to this one.

blunted

The Championship is currently on a par with the old Premier League. Currently the Prem is light years away from the current Championship. Richest league in the world with most of the best players and managers. Our best Prem side back in the day would struggle against the top half of the current Prem and quite a lot of the lower sides. How many of our top division players were in top international sides? Oh, none.
Jimmy Hill, who I worship to this day as the greatest ever innovator in football had the money to make it happen. MR has only had cash this season.

stupot07

The trip to Wembley was brilliant, the Wolves win was brilliant, we had a couple of big wins against Leicester and Leeds at home, to say it's the second best season ever, is basically basing it on four games. The rest of the season has been so so, and this final run of 4 points from 21 is hugely disappointing. We also got beat by Rotherham, 25% of their total seasons wins. Our record against the top half of the table hasn't been great either.

pusbccfc

The trip to Wembley was brilliant, the Wolves win was brilliant, we had a couple of big wins against Leicester and Leeds at home, to say it's the second best season ever, is basically basing it on four games. The rest of the season has been so so, and this final run of 4 points from 21 is hugely disappointing. We also got beat by Rotherham, 25% of their total seasons wins. Our record against the top half of the table hasn't been great either.

Birmingham at home, QPR, Millwall, Sunderland and Middlesbrough away were amazing. Not that many people were at Sunderland and Middlesbrough to see it.

Leeds away was great fun.

Skybluecol

2nd best season in the last 2 years if you ask me

I get we had the FA Cup but the run in to make the play offs and then win vs Boro and the final with us being soo close to the Prem....last season I enjoyed more.

Feel next season is so important for us as a club

pusbccfc

I get we had the FA Cup but the run in to make the play offs and then win vs Boro and the final with us being soo close to the Prem....last season I enjoyed more.

Easy to forget the awful times last season though. The final 2 months were amazing but the start of the season was embarrassing with the pitch. The Christmas and January period was seriously grim. That cup loss to Wrexham was as bad as any game I've been. They took the piss all game.

Skybluecol

Easy to forget the awful times last season though. The final 2 months were amazing but the start of the season was embarrassing with the pitch. The Christmas and January period was seriously grim. That cup loss to Wrexham was as bad as any game I've been. They took the piss all game.
True......but it was the journey of the season for me as it built up as the season went on.
This year it seems we couldn't sustain the continuous improvement of results.
I'd have a run at play offs against SF of the FA Cup if I had a choice (although absolutely loved the cup run this year!)
And tbh....I didn't expect us to be near playoffs this year either

messiahrobins

But we failed to win the play offs so it was all for nought. The Fa Cup run however increased our profile as a club 100 fold and will make a difference recruitment wise for players from abroad i would think

messiahrobins

Much like 1989 when we finished 7th but were in the top 4 most of the season should have been one of our greatest ever seasons but wasnt as ultimately it was remembered for Sutton, last season for all the highs had a massive black mark to it for the loss to Wrexham and this season has been significantly better than last season. Ultimately the postives of last season were it produced Hamer and Gyokeres to get transfer fees to enable us to build the team we have this season and their sell on clauses may help us add the final touches this summer.

Skybluecol

But we failed to win the play offs so it was all for nought. The Fa Cup run however increased our profile as a club 100 fold and will make a difference recruitment wise for players from abroad i would think
You're 100% right......it was just last season for me was better than this one. I'd even say League 1 winning season is up there (covid ruined it from my perspective)

messiahrobins

You're 100% right......it was just last season for me was better than this one. I'd even say League 1 winning season is up there (covid ruined it from my perspective)
League 1 definitely more memorable than last season and we were actually robbed of special memories due to Covid.
I understand where people are coming from for last season as there were amazing moments, but Wrexham was a disaster and in truth with all due respect to Luton, we should have been getting past them if we had played like we did at Middlesboro away for instance and defended properly. That side last year bottled it when it mattered most. This season we have not bottled it, we have simply run out of fit players to compete in 2 tournaments. I loved last season btw, ive loved the last 7 years and i love Robins so much its unhealthy at this point!!

Liquid Gold

Please find this Real Madrid quote.

Your timeline doesn't work, Chippo, Hadji, Keane were all signed in 1999 after this failed European push. After a season where we'd finished 15th iirc.

Oggy was past it by then and making regular errors, Hedman came in and was great to begin with. It was only later on that his form declined actually.
My unpopular Cov theory is that Headman was a much better keeper than Kirkland and if we weren’t forced to rely on the latter so much we wouldn’t have got relegated that season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We made the Cup final. We won 4-3, that is a fact, cannot just blindly accept blatant corruption.
As for the play offs, squad isnt deep enough to sustain a challenge in 2 tournaments so cannot say we failed. We picked the FA Cup this season and that was the right thing to do inmho.
We should have won 4-3, but fact is we won't be in the final. And even if we were it'd have been the biggest miracle in football for us to win it. So we'd still end up having won absolutely nothing.

I think it'd come across as pretty small club mentality to have a FA Cup final and a failure to get into the play-offs for Championship as our second best ever season.

Users who are viewing this thread