2 Year extension with BoyleSport (1 Viewer)

jordan210

Was hoping with staying up and moving to Ricoh would have attracted a big name. But Money is money.

Skyblueweeman

For me sponsorship has ruined most sports.
Start of the rot that saw six clubs attempt to set up the ESL.

Tend to agree Wingy. But I guess it's a bit like a vicious circle, isn't it?! If there was no sponsorship, the sporting landscape would look vastly different.

Irish Sky Blue

Tend to agree Wingy. But I guess it's a bit like a vicious circle, isn't it?! If there was no sponsorship, the sporting landscape would look vastly different.
I'm not sure it would. It just seems that whatever money comes into the game it very quickly leaves again in the pockets of the players and their agents.

Skyblueweeman

I'm not sure it would. It just seems that whatever money comes into the game it very quickly leaves again in the pockets of the players and their agents.

Agree but what money is used to pay the players? Less money in sponsorship, less money for the players. Sponsorship money not only goes towards players/owners etc. Training ground, stadium, community/charitable schemes, medical facilities etc.

Take away the money, stadiums are less shiny and arguably smaller, training grounds are basic, less work in the community etc. Just a totally more stripped back experience than what we have.

Irish Sky Blue

Agree but what money is used to pay the players? Less money in sponsorship, less money for the players. Sponsorship money not only goes towards players/owners etc. Training ground, stadium, community/charitable schemes, medical facilities etc.

Take away the money, stadiums are less shiny and arguably smaller, training grounds are basic, less work in the community etc. Just a totally more stripped back experience than what we have.
If the money is used in that way then fair enough. The big reason why football clubs have so many financial difficulties, as far as I can see, is because of the daft wages that they pay their players.
I think if football imploded financially, that wouldn't be the end, clubs would start up again but hopefully with a much more sustainable model which would involve playing players and their agents a lot less money.

Adge

I don’t get the moral aversion to betting companies on a shirt. It’s just a name - as far as I’m concerned the more money put in the club the better
Yep-when we all used to watch the “Embassy” world snooker championships didn’t mean we went and purchased 20 fags during the mid session interval.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Oooh it's the same debate that we had as last year! Using a betting company is the best commercial deal for the club, BSB and others object to it morally. I think both sides are perfectly acceptable and we can hopefully just move on from it without a seventy page argument over the pros and cons of extra finance vs encouraging betting which no one will gain anything from as those with strong views either way aren't going to alter them.

chiefdave

We could probably just link back to the thread from last year, my thoughts haven't really changed. It would be great to be in a position financially where we could take a moral stance and turn away this type of sponsor but unless there's someone waiting in the wings to takeover at a similar rate its not really something we can turn down at the moment.

Reactions: AOM

SlowerThanPlatt

Yep-when we all used to watch the “Embassy” world snooker championships didn’t mean we went and purchased 20 fags during the mid session interval.

The club puts out a special offer bet every match day on a certain result or player to score, the Facebook page has 143,000 people and Twitter similar. If advertising doesn’t work and get people signing up to their product, why do they do it?

Reactions: SBT

Brighton Sky Blue

We could probably just link back to the thread from last year, my thoughts haven't really changed. It would be great to be in a position financially where we could take a moral stance and turn away this type of sponsor but unless there's someone waiting in the wings to takeover at a similar rate its not really something we can turn down at the moment.

I understand the club’s commercial reasons particularly when finances have taken a hit this season. At the same time as someone who has lost very large sums to problem gambling in the past and knowing that the bulk of profits come from people like me I have a strong moral objection.

People who haven’t suffered won’t get it

Liquid Gold

I'd rather betting companies weren't allowed at all but as they are we can't put ourselves at a disadvantage.

Also, comparing a fucking bingo hall in the 80s to a gaming app now that you can access 24/7 wherever you are in the world while you're constantly bombarded by advertisements is ludicrous. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean others don't struggle, have some fucking empathy.

shmmeee

Love this argument, which is basically “the richest and most powerful organisations in the world believe heavily in the power of marketing but I, a random dude on the internet, know better”.

Of course marketing influences or we wouldn’t spend billions on it each year.

Adge

Love this argument, which is basically “the richest and most powerful organisations in the world believe heavily in the power of marketing but I, a random dude on the internet, know better”.

Of course marketing influences or we wouldn’t spend billions on it each year.
In certain instances I would agree. If you required a new bed and there was a sale on as advertised on the TV, most in that situation would go to the advertised shop or more likely nowadays the website.
If we see a F1 car with John Player Specials driving around Silverstone the same doesn’t apply.

SlowerThanPlatt

In certain instances I would agree. If you required a new bed and there was a sale on as advertised on the TV, most in that situation would go to the advertised shop or more likely nowadays the website.
If we see a F1 car with John Player Specials driving around Silverstone the same doesn’t apply.

So the gambling companies are doing it out of pure goodwill and not because a large number of football fans will gamble/potential to gamble?

Adge

So the gambling companies are doing it out of pure goodwill and not because a large number of football fans will gamble/potential to gamble?

Depends on the mindset of the person or target I guess.

Tommo1993

If we got Burger King on our shirts as Stevenage(?) did, are you likely enough to go out and gorge yourself into obesity?

Users who are viewing this thread