1990's Serie A best XI (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Seen this on another forum, it's very hard to chose just one XI which speaks volumes of the quality back then!

For me I'd go:

GK Buffon

RB: Zanetti
CB: Cannavaro
CB: Nesta
LB: Maldini

CM: Davids
CM: Zidane
CM: Deschamps

FWD: Del Piero
FWD: Baggio
ST: Batistuta

Went for a strange kind of 4-3-3 to incorporate as many forwards as possible but even then it's still very hard to leave out players like Totti, Inzaghi, Vieri, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Montella, Signori!

I only caught the tail end of the 90s and into the early 00s, so I never really got to see people like Baresi, Costacurta, Vialli etc.

SlowerThanPlatt

Do you think Serie A, say from 87-02, but especially the 90's, was the best collection of talent in any league in history?

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah it probably was. They had the pick of the best in the world track then.

They had the best foreign players playing for them and the Italian players around at the time were pretty damn good too. There's numerous players not even mentioned yet that were brilliant too.

ajsccfc

The only players I would name instantly is a front three of Baggio, Batistuta and Signori, and that's ignoring some ridiculous talent in those positions alone. It'd need some serious thought for the rest of the lineup.

Covstu

Totti, Donadoni, Van Basten (for the small duration), Bergomi was a rock for Milan, Maradona (for a bit of the 90's i guess), Pirlo were all amazing players on top of whats been added. Italy was the hub of football at that point which ultimately had to implode at some point (national team suffered also). Now Spanish have taken over so i wonder if that will follow suit at some stage.

I used to love watching the italian football on Saturday morning on channel 4. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LAAAAAAZZZZZZZIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Terry Gibson's perm

Marco Van Basten is missing and for me he was the finest striker of that time and the best I have ever seen and don't forget Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard. The Milan side of 89-90 is the greatest club side ever.

SlowerThanPlatt

Just think - in 1999/00 Inter Milan had a strike-force of Ronaldo, Christian Vieri, Roberto Baggio and Ivan Zamorano.

They finished 4th and won nothing. The depth in quality was insane.

Parma had Buffon, Thuram, Zola, Chiesa, Veron, Cannavaro, Sensini, Crespo. Fiorentina had Batistuta, Rui Costa and Sousa. Neither won the league.

Roma had Cafu, Aldair, Totti. Lazio had Vieri, Nedved, Veron, Nesta, Signori. Sampdoria had Mancini, Vialli, Gullit. They only won the league once.

Users who are viewing this thread