1987 Quarter final v Sheff Wed (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

I'm from the "completely safe" era of football, and I can't even imagine what it's like to be in a crush. I love terracing, but I can only assume the "cages" were overcrowded and unsafe?

cloughie

I was also crushed and in hindsight very lucky,

the police were looking for trouble outside, shocking behavior from them. Then forced us into the packed area, where I ended up spending 20 minutes getting out to another area after being seriously crushed and worried,

The worst police I have ever experienced in all my years of following CCFC

ccfc92

I was also crushed and in hindsight very lucky,

the police were looking for trouble outside, shocking behavior from them. Then forced us into the packed area, where I ended up spending 20 minutes getting out to another area after being seriously crushed and worried,

The worst police I have ever experienced in all my years of following CCFC

were they the south Yorkshire police related to Hillsborough?

Covkid1968#

What were those daft paper hats being given out by Cov Telegragh that day - thousands of them. Caused a right mess. I have the team sheet put up on the board at Ryton by Snoz for Hillsborough,quite funny as at the bottom it asks the players not to be late for the coach. Might be the semi actually I'll have to dig it out. It also has the reserves team details who were playing that week and there is a Sillett listed in the line up and I always wondered if it was his son. Maybe one for SonofSnoz to answer??

Paxman II

This is what can happen if you take away the discipline of all seated stadia. Bringing back standing would result in a return to the violence in the stadiums as fans are 'free' to let off steam too easily, start fights too easily etc as opposed to being in an assigned seat. It changes the perspective.
I was at the semi final and it was scary. I went from mid terrace to the front during the game and I didn't walk down!

letsallsingtogether

Took our late Dad to that game it was only his second away game he was in his 70's remember the crush we had to fight our way to the back of the stand and were standing with our backs to the fencing so we never got caught up in the surging.
Would have been in the middle of it had dad not gone.

Remember it kicking off between cov fans in the bottom left had corner after one of the goals

Terry Gibson's perm

Went with my dad and his cousin and I was twelve at the time and it may have been my first away game. Can't remember much about the game but can remember sitting in the top right hand corner of the stand. Remember more about the semi final and needing the toilet after about thirty minutes and making my way from half way down the kop to the back of the stand and then somehow getting back to my original position just before the end of the game! How times have changes now we have to get excited about the regional final of the JPT against Crewe.

:blue:

Spionkop

Yes it was his son Neil. He played quite a while in our reserve side. Watched him many times.
Became a physio when his playing career faltered. He played as a striker if I recall rightly.

JimmyHillsbeard

Ah, so sad isn't it? I was there in 87 twice for the quarter and the semi but wasn't injured or anything. Didn't feel in danger really as that's how it was back then with the fences and such.

We were in the other end for the semi final. Leeds were in the Leppings Lane end

W

westcountry_skyblue

I went on a minibus from Cov,Got our beer confiscated in Sheffield .
Great day out though i do remember being just to the right of the goal in the Leppings lane end and ending up near the scoreboard on the right after Cyrille scored.
You dont think at the time being 18 but probably was too overcrowded.

Seyeclops666

Crushing was pretty scary

I wasn't injured but I do remember the feeling of being crushed very well - and several of the older fellas we were with said that it was an accdent waiting to happen !! All of that was put to the back of my mind after that great day (and even more so as we got the better end against Leeds). When the tragedy happened I watched in horror and can honestly say that it brought back memories of being crushed in the tunnel that day.

Users who are viewing this thread