1980 On this day (1 Viewer)

Gynnsthetonic

Paul Dyson scored and we beat Liverpool 1-0 in front of over 31000 at Highfield Rd, I didn't go but I remember taping it on my tape recorder and listening to it constantly as an avid 7 year old would.
Great Days what football was all about.

The Philosopher

And 31000 probably meant 41000 in the days of cash through turnstiles "possibly miscounted", turnstile operatives squeezing two at a time through for an extra quid etc.

The Philosopher

Don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that CCFC now INFLATES it's actual attendance figure to maximise advertising income (some deals being dependant on number of viewers, akin to pay-per-click if you like).

Official Attendance now includes all season tickets (whether used or not) and all complimentary tickets given out (whether used or not).

When I look around I am often surprised at the actual declared figure, it often "looks" lower.

In the 80s / 90s if was the other way around.

Terry Gibson's perm

Don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that CCFC now INFLATES it's actual attendance figure to maximise advertising income (some deals being dependant on number of viewers, akin to pay-per-click if you like).

Official Attendance now includes all season tickets (whether used or not) and all complimentary tickets given out (whether used or not).

When I look around I am often surprised at the actual declared figure, it often "looks" lower.

I think all teams count all the season tickets if they attend or not, the complimentary ticket thing annoys me I don't think they should give out any I know people who haven't paid to go in for years.

Paul Dyson scored and we beat Liverpool 1-0 in front of over 31000 at Highfield Rd, I didn't go but I remember taping it on my tape recorder and listening to it constantly as an avid 7 year old would.

And what a line up:

Blyth
Coop - Dyson - Gillespie - McDonald
Gooding - Blair
English - Hately - Wallace - Hutchison

Sub: Gary Thompson

"Official" gate 31,664

Hobo

And what a line up:

Blyth
Gooding - Blair

"Official" gate 31,664

I suspect Yorath was injured, replaced by Gooding?

Gosford Green

Blyth
Gooding - Blair

"Official" gate 31,664

I was at this game. That line up was arguably our best team ever, just broken up to early.

I feel for any young fans now. Look at the last home game where we was played off the park against Swindon in front of 6000.

Last edited:

mindgames

I was there, as an excited 8-year old with my Dad. We couldn't find a parking space, were late getting into the ground, and just sat down in the Main Stand in time for the free kick from which Dyson scored with a brilliant header.

I seem to remember that we could have won the game by many more, I think we made chance after chance but couldn't add to the one goal.

Also - my memory tells me that this game was on Match Of The Day, but I've never been able to find any footage online. Did I imagine it?

Hobo

Yorath left the club before 1979/80 season started to Spurs for £300K after playing 99 games and scoring 3 goals

Thatvwould be why he wasn't playing then? :)

rupert_bear

Rarely did you go into a game on your own, always doubled up with a quid for the turnstile bloke, the guy at the kop end of the Thackhall Street terrace must of made a fortune, too many old bill at the West End.

Gynnsthetonic

Yes it was on Match of the Day, didnt have a video recorder then so i taped it on a audio cassette recorder, the commentry on my BASF 60 tape kept me entertained for years.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember another against the 'Pool as well - 10th December 1983 Coventry City 4 - Liverpool 0
Nicky Platnauer's early goal was amazing! Headed along over the line!
[video=youtube;-pERuNRgrZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pERuNRgrZc[/video]

AndreasB

More likely that both were accurate but that doesn't fit your conspiracy narrative

rondog1973

Was at the game too. 6 years of age with my Dad and elder brother. In the west terrace, although me being 3ft 3 at the time, my Dad put me and my brother on the stairway that led up to the west stand with my legs dangling through the railings on the halfway landing. Dyson scored at the Kop end, but I could barely see it due to the packed standing crowd and the upper tier overhang.

We should really have won the game by a greater margin as I recall, my abiding memory being the number of gilt edged chances Wallace and Tommy English missed in the second half.

Think the game was top billing on Star Soccer the next day as I seem to remember the late Hugh Johns doing a televised after match report when we got home from the game.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Yep I remember this game too as a 17yo.
What was remarkable about this was the number of postponed games that day. That factor increased the gate somewhat because quite a few at the game had travelled to the midlands only for their match being called off. So they popped into Highfield road to watch the mighty Sky Blues.

oldfiver

Unlike WASPS then? :sarcasm:

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I went to the game next week away at 3rd division Blackburn in FA cup. Complete disaster losing 1-0 and got back to Coventry at 8am the next day due to various reasons.

bezzer

I remember another against the 'Pool as well - 10th December 1983 Coventry City 4 - Liverpool 0
Nicky Platnauer's early goal was amazing! Headed along over the line!
[video=youtube;-pERuNRgrZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pERuNRgrZc[/video]

An unbelievable game. Terry Gibson was on fire that day.

Gould coming in after the exodus at the end of the 82/83 season, putting a team together of mainly non league and lower league players and managing (just) to keep us up.

In fact the first half of the 83/84 was one of the best I've ever seen. The less said the better about the second half!

Thinking back to those days just makes you realise what a heap of shit we are now :(

Users who are viewing this thread