1980/81 - Coventry v West Ham (League Cup Semi 1st Leg - 27.1.81 (1 Viewer)

Otis

I have a confession to make - Allied to what I believe are a unique set of events.
I was at the first leg game and as others have said, the atmosphere that night at HR was unbelievable and to this day I think remains the best for a home fixture I have ever experienced.
I didn't think the Qtr Final replay against Watford ( the same day John Lennon was murdered?) would be surpassed, that was pretty special too.
I wasn't at the second leg at Upton Park - That night I was stood on the Kop at Anfield for the other semi final's 2nd leg.
I also went to the final and the replay at VP.
Split loyalties you see. Long since shaken off.
Yes, it was the same day as John Lennon's death. I remember it all so well.

joemercersaces

The Watford game was unreal. 5-0 wasn’t it? Forget which goal it was but I was swept from the middle of the West End to somewhere near the corner flag!

oscillatewildly

The Watford game was unreal. 5-0 wasn’t it? Forget which goal it was but I was swept from the middle of the West End to somewhere near the corner flag!
Bodak curled one in from the right side

grahamparsons68

I was a kid back then and remember getting one of those balls they kicked into the crowd at Watford before the game.
Mum would not let me go to West Ham - reading some if these comments was probably a wise decision 😀

slowpoke

Watford away was some day too, it was a day when thousands went, I think originally we had about 4000 tickets and it was gradually increased and in the end we had half the ground,loads went without tickets and the police opened the gates to allow hundreds of our lot in I reckon they decided they were better in the ground rather than roaming around Watford, I think a bit of a scraped 2-2 draw saved what might have been a very rough night.

Otis

Watford away was some day too, it was a day when thousands went, I think originally we had about 4000 tickets and it was gradually increased and in the end we had half the ground,loads went without tickets and the police opened the gates to allow hundreds of our lot in I reckon they decided they were better in the ground rather than roaming around Watford, I think a bit of a scraped 2-2 draw saved what might have been a very rough night.
Yes, we struggled a little in the 2nd leg. Went to that too.

CCFC54321

Yes, it was the same day as John Lennon's death. I remember it all so well.
Crumbs I remember my clock radio going off at 7am to Gordon Astley on Mercia sound being absolutely devastated that John Lennon had been shot dead.

slowpoke

Crumbs I remember my clock radio going off at 7am to Gordon Astley on Mercia sound being absolutely devastated that John Lennon had been shot dead.
A day you never forget, like Elvis, Lady Di & Michael Jackson.I didn’t know until clocking in at Massey-Ferguson, the day became a blur.

wantageskyblue

I was there that night too. Arrived about an hour before KO and ended up in a really scary crush outside the turnstiles, of which there weren’t many. IIRC the police had no choice but to open the gates as they were being forced open by the sheer weight of numbers outside. Very lucky not to have a Hillsborough situation that night. No idea if people turned up without tickets but it did seem as if we all arrived about the same time due to transport problems.

Despite all of that I recall it being a good game with a fantastic atmosphere. Watford were certainly punching above their weight back then.

slowpoke

I was there that night too. Arrived about an hour before KO and ended up in a really scary crush outside the turnstiles, of which there weren’t many. IIRC the police had no choice but to open the gates as they were being forced open by the sheer weight of numbers outside. Very lucky not to have a Hillsborough situation that night. No idea if people turned up without tickets but it did seem as if we all arrived about the same time due to transport problems.

Despite all of that I recall it being a good game with a fantastic atmosphere. Watford were certainly punching above their weight back then.
One problem was the cops held all the coaches back, we went passed a whole line of them stopped on a motorway, brainless.

slowpoke

A young Kenny Jackett played for Watford in those days, good player, perhaps that’s where the Grendel love in started.

rob9872

Bodak's the name scoring's the game - absolute blockbuster that night
Goals are the game 😉

Has anyone got footage of that Watforf game? I was there but can't remember it and he was telling us it was his best goal for Cov, better than the MotD one v Man City. Looked on YouTube etc but can't find it and I know he'd love to see it too.

Otis

Watford away was the first game, second Watford game was a replay.
Ah, yes, of course,. you're right. Time has blurred my memory.

All coming back to me now.

My one true memory that sticks with me is the Peter Bodak goal at HR. It was an absolute cracker.

rob9872

He was a confident player - 'Bodak's the name, scoring's the game' was his self-proclaimed headline in the CET
Misquoted him then, as it was Bodak's the name goals are the game'

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yeah I was there that night, stood in front of a barrier and when they opened the gates i was pinned against the barrier, couldn't move, broke my rid, in agony for weeks.

Could very easily been a Hillsborough.

Users who are viewing this thread