16 may 1987 (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

just woke up - getting sky blue kit on, preparing to head to the railway station . On first train down to wembley

Otis

Happy Anniversary!

This time 25 years ago I was waking up in London to tea and toast and getting ready to set off.

Was so keen I arrived at Wembley far too early and was at the stadium at 10 a.m. Had to cool my heels for about 3 and half hours and sit watching tumbleweed. :pointlaugh:

Last edited:

Regis87

Just woke up , hanging after a night at Studio 21 and getting ready to walk to train station .
Great memories

torchomatic

Queuing at Cov station. Excited, nervous.

I was 21. The greatest experience of my life up to that moment.

Last edited:

skybluesam66

otis - I think i got there not long after that, it wasnt just tumbleweed, it was our Wembley tumbleweed

being on the first train - ground didnt open until around 12.30 i think - then we had the jimmy tarbuck match

a day we will never experience again - and there are not many fans who will have ever had such an experience

Not ManU/Arsenal/liverpool fans - who have won many things
Not Man C who bought the title

but Coventry city - a team plucked from the lower divisions - never won anything before or since - it really was a once in a lifetime experience

standupforcity

What a brilliant exciting day that was. Unforgettable...and great to remember it as one of the best cup finals ever!

skybluelee

Already on the train from Weymouth to Waterloo, aged 11, with my dad and his mate, John. Still have no idea how he got us tickets (for the football, not the train)! Remember seeing a huge Spurs flag hanging up on one of the carriage windows. Think we were the only City fans on the train.

Bad Boy

Some numpty hurled something from a railway bridge just outside Cov and as a result was pulling the overhead power line down as we progressed. Had to stop outside Rugby for ages then disembark, walk along the track and get back on the train near the front which had been uncoupled from the problem rear. Just got into Wembley as the 2 teams broke away to their respective ends, missed all the ceremony before the game sadly.
Dressed as a gorilla, boy was I hot, lost pounds in sweat.
Happy wonderful day.

PS Just looked at my cup final ticket stub and found myself getting emotional
What a stupid big girls blouse

Last edited:

Sub

coventry-city-fa-cup-162727492.jpg

DukeOfCov

I was in Manchester on Monday evening, took my Cov shirt and scarf :D got some confused Man city fans coming over to me asking what the shirt was...brought back memories seeing 100,000 people all in sky blue watching the team on the open top bus having a ball...:claping hands:

Happy memories of a fantastic cup run and final...

torchomatic

Me ad my dad were somewhere near the traffic lights in your last pic.

smileycov

Facebook User
I was in The Navy, saw the 3 & 4 Rounds, but was away for the 1/4, Semi and Final. Mates had my ticket i couldn't get flight back to the Ship. So watched it in a bar in Lisbon. They had it start 1 hour after kick off (couldn't show it Live) knew we had gone 2-2. Then someone threw the radio away i had so i endured the last minutes un knowing!! what a fantastic feeling though as the only Coventry Fan, amongst a couple of Yiods and some Mancs!! my only regret is not being there live. I take comfort knowing i have endured some grief over the years travelling around the country supporting the boys. That day felt more special to me than most fans of so called bigger clubs i am sure. Hopefully our younger generation have some great times ahead......though doesn't appear that way, mind you only 1 way to go now (we hope)

skybluesteve76

What a day! I was only eleven, but was there with my dad. Couldn't see half the game because of people standing everywhere but the occasion will never leave me.
Wish I was a few years older for it to be a strong memory and so I could of had a few beers!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was a bus driver for WMPTE at the time. Couldn't get the day off for love nor money! I was off on the Sunday though, and stood along Walsgrave Road to cheer the lads as they came by on the open top bus after visiting "Bugsy" Burrows in Walsgrave.

This might be good for some of the younger guys on here who've never seen the game. The atmosphere should be great! ...............

http://www.coventryobserver.co.uk/2...n-to-show-replay-of-1987-Cup-Final-39603.html

When Killer went up to lift the FA cup i was....i was there :D

My dad somehow got a ticket the night before the game off a man down the pub.He sent me off to wembley even though i wanted him to go...bless.
Met my dads mates down the Crown pub (?) on Woodway lane for a Cup final morning fry up before catching the coach to Wembley.
As we neared Wembley it was a sea of Spurs fans and we sang 'go for it city' about a hundred times....somebody had taped the Cov Squad singing the song on Blue Peter during the week and put the tape on the coach VCR (strange what things you remember)
We won 3-2.
On the way home the motorway bridges we covered with 'Well done city' banners....loved that :D
Got home to Cov and it took for ever to get up the Ansty road past the Red Lion in Walsgrave....bodies everywhere !!
The parade the next day was amazing...never to be repeated unfortunately.

Just a few memories

PUSB

Joy Division

I was too young at the time to remember it. So envious of the many people who did get to experience that day.

One thing thats always puzzled me, who's the person on the right of this photo in the tracksuit?

fa_cup_team_whole_470x380.jpg

LastGarrison

I was 7. My Old Man got offered two tickets for the final in the Rose and Crown the night before the game.

He truned them down.

I still haven't forgiven him.

i was 6 when won the cup and dont know anything about the day, what i was doing and where i was. but i can remember the homecoming round town. me my mum dad and lil bro were stood outside c&a with people going around selling winners scarves and rosettes. that day will stay with me for the rest of my life. i tell my niece and nephew theyll never ever see a day like that or any coventry city success. PUSB

Sub

and a full highfield road, i miss that ground :(:(:( much better than the souless Ricoh

Users who are viewing this thread