16,000 where were you? (1 Viewer)

stupot07

But people have gone back.

2012/13 average: 10948

Yesterday: 11085

Both games back at the Ricoh have had a higher crowd than a average 2012/13 game.

Who are these people you have claimed to moaned about the club not being there who now aren't supporting the club? How many marched, about 7k? How many went to the "big" games at Arsenal and MK, about 6k?

Those that took action are the 11k that were there yesterday.

What about the 18k+ that signed the petition??

And how do you know that those 11k are the ones that took action? No one canvased me at the game to ask me that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

NorthernWisdom

And how do you know that those 11k are the ones that took action? No one canvased me at the game to ask me that?

tbf it's not unlikely that give or take the odd mentalist, those who can be bothered are those who can be bothered regardless. The concern is that when owned by a ruthless bunch of investors, the logical next step is to fleece that hard core as much as possible, if nobody else bothers.

bigfatronssba

What about the 18k+ that signed the petition??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Equally how do you know that yesterday's 11k even tried to go to the Gills game? For all you know they could have been 11k people who couldn't be bothered to go and went yesterday instead.

SkyBlue_Bear83

All the more reason for a big movement by the club targeted at getting fans coming back.

None of this nonsense about charging £500 and £30 for tickets. You'd be down to 7k or lower in no time at those prices.

Tank Top

Hypothetically;

One
City at home to Wolves in a league game. Saturday. Both teams in top 6.

City at home in JPT Regional Final. Win would take City through to Wembley. Tuesday

City at home to Liverpool, FA Cup. Saturday.

What would the crowds be? Would people still say they couldn't afford it or couldn't go?

Very close to capacity crowds for all those 3 games in one single week for sure.

Just saying like.

Brighton Sky Blue

Disorganisation was understandable for the Gillingham game. Admin staff won't have been told about the talks to come back and were then told to cater for a 10+ fold increase in demand for tickets with a ticket system set up for Sixfields. This isn't quite as good a reason now though. People will go if they think it offers value for money-only the hardcore will go whether they think it does or not. Get all the administration organised, charge a price in line with those at other League 1 clubs, and then let Pressley and his squad do the rest.

In other words, give people no reason not to go. Maybe get on about building that train platform too...

stupot07

Equally how do you know that yesterday's 11k even tried to go to the Gills game? For all you know they could have been 11k people who couldn't be bothered to go and went yesterday instead.

Because I was there v gillingham and all of my fellow ST holders that I have say by since the Ricoh opened were all there vs gillingham and again yesterday..so there definitely wasn't 11k different people there.

Isn't there 4k ST's?

Last edited:

Samo

Equally how do you know that yesterday's 11k even tried to go to the Gills game? For all you
know they could have been 11k people who couldn't be bothered to go and went yesterday instead.

I was there with a mate and neither of us were at the Gills game.

torchomatic

And those slagging of Sixfielders saying they were wrong, etc and should do as we do are now those whom shout loudest about "freedom of choice".

No one is expecting 27000 every week butthe attendance yesterday was poor for only our second game home.

I will say that the atmosphere was great yesterday.

Equally interesting is those who were most vocal in defending an individuals right to attend sixfields or not without criticism are now criticising fans for not turning up.

Otis

And those slagging of Sixfielders saying they were wrong, etc and should do as we do are now those whom shout loudest about "freedom of choice".

No one is expecting 27000 every week butthe attendance yesterday was poor for only our second game home.

I will say that the atmosphere was great yesterday.

Those slagging the Sixfielders off for going up should now be slagging all the fans for now not going up the Ricoh.

SkyBlueSid

I think the gate yesterday was what I had expected. I had predicted 12000 for Yeovil prior to the Gillingham game so it was about right.

So many have been alienated over many years that our hardcore fanbase is now around those 11000. That will only improve gradually as people realise that it is not just another false dawn, and we are miles away from showing that at this point.

Ticket prices are relevant and £20+ is a lot for third tier football. But the tickets fiasco will have driven away some of those who may have been considering a return. You simply cannot expect people to queue for hours to watch games at this level, and you certainly cannot afford to mess about season ticket holders as they have done this week. One poor bloke, a ST holder who travels from the south coast, had to queue for an hour and a half to get his ticket yesterday and then queue again to get into the ground, missing the first goal.

Of course fans are fickle, they have every right to be after the last 15 years or so. But, instead of a triumph, the return to the Ricoh has turned into a PR shambles because of poor organisation by the club on ticketing. A club like ours should be able to handle these issues without a problem. No excuses. Because people don't need an excuse not to go, it is their money and their time, and they will just spend it elsewhere if they are messed about.

mattylad

Plastic flag wavers who threatened the real supporters who may have/did missed out on a ticket last Friday. Shame on you. See you in May, we will fill you in on this great squad Pressley has put together. PUSB.
did you want salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder? we didn't get 27,000 when we playing in the league above and winning. ...we didnt get 24,000 when we were top flight so why would we get it in league 1

duffer

The attendance is about where it was before our owners took us to Northampton. There seem to people here suggesting that we should all rejoice because something that never should have happened has now been corrected.

That's a bit like suggesting that you should pay a reward to the bloke who stole your car because he brought it back after a year.

The fact is that some people don't think ticket prices are good value for L1, and some people think that getting hold of a ticket is more hassle than they can be bothered with. The club seem to acknowledge both those points, and yet there are those here who would rather peddle a more divisive line talking about 'loyalty' and 'shit fans' etc.

Bluntly, that's bullshit. Who the fuck is anyone here to call me a shit fan, I've spent thousands over the last 20-30 years home and away and even preseason. I used to buy tickets to support the club even in the days when I could have got freebies. My reward for my loyalty, owners who mismanage us into L1 and then take the club out of the city.

So I think I've got every right now to decide what games I go to based on what I decide is value for money and convenient. As has everyone else.

If you're happy sitting there with 10,000 others, then keep pretending everything is great and blame the rest of the fan base for not turning up. It won't help the attendance improve one bit, but if it makes you feel better somehow then fair enough.

Evans1883

Look at this , its all that matters , we are an improving team and can only see us getting better PUSB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 24

Astute

Nobody, but nobody is talking about expecting 27,000 every week. Don't be ridiculous.

I didn't say anyone said they were expecting 27k. But I do keep seeing the phrase 16k missing fans. When have we ever had gates of 27k? There were not 16k of us missing. If anything this is the comment that is ridiculous. There would have been a lot of kids going for the first time ever. There will have been families there that can't afford everyone to go all the time. Maybe lots that would have gone again once they went to a game couldn't get a ticket. But to continually say that 16k of us were missing is a massive exaggeration. I did expext more than 11k but it wasn't a shock. We got more yesterday than we were getting in the 80's. And that was top flight football against division 3 football.

They don't deserve the right to have everyone come straight back. But the numbers are not lower from before they took our club away from Coventry. I think the attendances will go up the longer we are in the top 6. And if we get into the top 2 the Ricoh should be a fun place to be. And if it happens it will be supporters gained and not lost from a game for a tenner and kids for the price of a bottle of milk.

Kingokings204

The attendance is about where it was before our owners took us to Northampton. There seem to people here suggesting that we should all rejoice because something that never should have happened has now been corrected.

That's a bit like suggesting that you should pay a reward to the bloke who stole your car because he brought it back after a year.

The fact is that some people don't think ticket prices are good value for L1, and some people think that getting hold of a ticket is more hassle than they can be bothered with. The club seem to acknowledge both those points, and yet there are those here who would rather peddle a more divisive line talking about 'loyalty' and 'shit fans' etc.

Bluntly, that's bullshit. Who the fuck is anyone here to call me a shit fan, I've spent thousands over the last 20-30 years home and away and even preseason. I used to buy tickets to support the club even in the days when I could have got freebies. My reward for my loyalty, owners who mismanage us into L1 and then take the club out of the city.

So I think I've got every right now to decide what games I go to based on what I decide is value for money and convenient. As has everyone else.

If you're happy sitting there with 10,000 others, then keep pretending everything is great and blame the rest of the fan base for not turning up. It won't help the attendance improve one bit, but if it makes you feel better somehow then fair enough.

Completely agree. Particularly like the analogy to stealing you car and handing it back. Exactly how I feel.

Some people need to get real.

stupot07

A better car analogy would be, it's like some one stealing your car, you moaning about not having your car on the drive. They return your car to you, then you don't bother driving it anyway.....

It's ok, at least you know you're car is parked on your drive...,

letsallsingtogether

Yes but those better fans just like labelling all City Fans as shit???
As a City Fan I just don't get it:thinking about:

Standard remarks Only Coventry Fans do the following bollox
City fans always moaning
City fans booing
City fans not turning up every week.
City fans getting on players backs.
Ricoh is an ugly ground
Ricoh is soulless.

Sorry I just don't get it funny but the same posters post all of these comments and more in their threads.
If that is really the case of how they feel why even bother supporting City?
Then they think they are better supporters for it.

QUOTE=Kingokings204;774717]Completely agree. Particularly like the analogy to stealing you car and handing it back. Exactly how I feel.

Some people need to get real.[/QUOTE]

letsallsingtogether

Rubbish my sister had her car stolen when she got it back she sold it straight away as she hated the thought of what that car had been used for.
So if someone burgled your house then apologised do you later would that make you feel better living in that house.
A better car analogy would be, it's like some one stealing your car, you moaning about not having your car on the drive. They return your car to you, then you don't bother driving it anyway.....

It's ok, at least you know you're car is parked on your drive...,

stupot07

Rubbish my sister had her car stolen when she got it back she sold it straight away as she hated the thought of what that car had been used for.
So if someone burgled your house then apologised do you later would that make you feel better living in that house.

Actually there's a lot of research about restorative justice and perpetrators facing victims, in reducing fear of crime and anxiety.

#excusesexcuses

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Completely agree. Particularly like the analogy to stealing you car and handing it back. Exactly how I feel.

Some people need to get real.

But most people didn't have any issue against Gillingham so can't have been that damaged by it then?

NorthernWisdom

But most people didn't have any issue against Gillingham so can't have been that damaged by it then?

Yeah, I get that there are issues - it won't take much for me to bog off again either.

I get that the owners aren't the most popular.

But... having had a good time one week, it's highly highly concerning if a good time isn't enough to keep at least *some* extras beyond the hardcore the following week. Because if we can't hold onto some after Gillingham, the archetypal cold evening v Walsall won't be helping convert them either!

WillieStanley

We always knew we wouldn't match Fridays crowd. 11k is a bit low though. There are factors, I get that but it seems as though it's all:

"Bring us back, bring us back... oh wait, you actually did that... sorry, I'm busy and it's a hassle to get a ticket..."

For those who went on Friday but not yesterday... and this isn't a jibe or a jab, a genuine insight - Saturday, despite the low crowd, felt even better than Friday. The reason? The normality of it all. There was nothing big or clever or fancy. Just going out on a Saturday afternoon with my family to watch Coventry City play a league match at their home ground. If Gillingham was emotional, Saturday was satisfying. It was as if everything was as it should be, except everyone seemed a bit smilier... happier. At times you wouldn't have even known how low the crowd numbers were either, the whole ground sung. Stand Up If You Love City towards the end was pretty special too.

It was the Saturday I've craved since long before we moved to Northampton. It was just... right.

Ads87

Just dug out an old program from 1987/88 first match of the season after the cup win. Our home game gates were around 11-12 thousand for the majority of games. Then there was a bit of a peak around late March for some reason?
Saturday August 30th 1986 v Everton attendance 13504. Saturday May 2nd 1987 v Liverpool attendance 26709.
The bandwagon has always been ticking over.

letsallsingtogether

Tell my missis that then. We had to move from Coundon after we got burgled bloody Trebled my mortgage.

Actually there's a lot of research about restorative justice and perpetrators facing victims, in reducing fear of crime and anxiety.

#excusesexcuses

hutch1972

Just dug out an old program from 1987/88 first match of the season after the cup win. Our home game gates were around 11-12 thousand for the majority of games. Then there was a bit of a peak around late March for some reason?
Saturday August 30th 1986 v Everton attendance 13504. Saturday May 2nd 1987 v Liverpool attendance 26709.
The bandwagon has always been ticking over.
without even looking i can say that the 70s had huge crowd differences for whoever the opposition were, it is nothing new. What has changed though is that Coventry is no longer employing all its residents on very good money ie car manufacture.
One thing is nobody used the word bandwagon nor did they question why 44k can turn up v leeds and a week later 15k v Norwich , what excuse could have been given then ? Answer was mind your own feckin business.

Otis

I do think a few people are missing the point slightly.

This isn't about what our crowds were like before we left the city, or how they compare to other clubs, or how they are so much better than Sixfields, this is all about a positive feeling around the club and the city of Coventry itself and how that should have equated to a much larger crowd on Saturday.

We have had years and years in the doldrums and suddenly after a whole season away from our home town, playing 34 miles away, we had our club coming back. Fans were thrilled, elated, delighted. There was a real feelgood factor about coming home and the talk was all about us coming back to the Ricoh, with a good manager at the helm and the team doing well.

There was a tremendous clamour for tickets for that first game and everyone seemed desperate to go and we all know that we have a very large percentage of City fans in this fair city of ours. Would guess at least 40,000-50,000. Yes, many, many thousands of those are armchair/bit part/part time supporters, but I'm sure many of those were in the stands for the Gillingham game.

We kicked off in front of a bumper crowd. It was a real night to remember and the atmosphere was fantastic. The Ricoh was rocking.

To top it all, we won.

Now, it doesn't matter what went on before, the fact is with all the above factors of good manager, team on unbeaten run, the feel good factor of coming home, us winning the match, then 11,000 is just totally unnaceptable.

The fact is there should have been 15,000+ there and there wasn't. I know some people can't afford it, can't make it, unable to get tickets etc., but there are more than enough City fans out there in this city and surrounding areas to have made the attendance so much bigger, in spite of all these mitigating circumstances.

This should be the time now of bumper crowds on the back of the long awaited homecoming and the team doing well and us still in the season of fair weather.

We now have the winter to come and if we go on a bad run of form the attendances are only going to go one way and going one way from 11,085 can only spell disaster for the club.

Was expecting 15,000+ for the first 3 -4 home games or so and then for it to tail off and return to normal levels unless we were doing fantastically well.

I just have my fingers crossed now that we can keep up this form and attendances do increase, because otherwise, a poor run of results and a hard winter could really take their toll.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread