14 November 1940 (1 Viewer)

Cov kid 55

This time 80 years ago, out City was being pounded by German bombers. The City recovered, and fully played it’s part in the war effort. Respect to our Mothers/Fathers/Grandparents, some of whom lost their lives, and many of whom lost their homes. Should make us proud of our City.

Magwitch

Without in anway diminishing any part or sentiment of the above post.

This needs to change.
No chance with conservative Governments they will give the masses bread but never cake, unfortunately when we have had Labour Governments they are not a lot difference just put a little butter on the bread.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Without in anway diminishing any part or sentiment of the above post.

This needs to change.

I agree but it'll be due to a number of factors.

Firstly, large urban areas are far more likely to be deprived anyway and as they were the targets of blitz the connection is easy to see. Also they have the biggest disparity of wealth. London was easily the most blitzed city and has areas of extreme poverty, but it's also got the wealthiest areas in the country as well.

Secondly, Coventry became a boom town later on seeing large population growth, high employment and good wages. So it's not like "they were blitzed and have been run down ever since". Those industries have fallen away and the same can be said of many others. it's part of the economic cycle and the UK as a whole has lost some of its economic power to emerging economies which will be seen in its towns and cities.

Thirdly, the rebuild of many of these cities were done along design philosophies and principles like modernism and the layout/structures are no longer fit for purposes and/or are in need of replacing due to age (as well as being built 'on the cheap' with few resources or funds). But we are in an age where someone somewhere will want something saved for posterity, preventing redevelopment on top of the already onerous costs of doing so.

This is also at a time when public funding is being cut to enable such work to happen and it doesn't look like that is changing any time soon. Any development that happens tends to be privately led and therefore profit driven, resulting in cost-engineered buildings built to meet a demand that already exists rather than speculative builds that might improve the situation. Look at how quickly we've had large student blocks go up yet over a decade we've seen a single office block built on the train station development site (and that was only cos the council agreed to move into it). So you end up with a vicious circle or "there's no demand so we won't build it" and "there's no demand because it hasn't been built".

D

Deleted member 2477

No chance with conservative Governments they will give the masses bread but never cake, unfortunately when we have had Labour Governments they are not a lot difference just put a little butter on the bread.
The difference between a conservative government and a labour government is a woke country and a government that looks after anyone but their own. Make your mind up who Im talking about

D

Deleted member 2477

Respect to all those people who lives threw those terrible times and we should never forget the sacrifices and the heroes who‘s sacrifices gave us the freedom we have today. Massive respect to you all

ovduk78

My mum, auntie & grandma sheltered under the stairs of their house in Green Lane whilst my grandad was a bomb watcher at factories in the Stoke area. My grandad loved his garden & refused to have an air raid shelter in the garden or in the house so it was under the stairs for shelter. My grandma kept my mum, who was 11, and my auntie, who was 9, entertained with stories and asking what they wanted for Christmas. My dad's family lived on the Daventry Road in Cheylesmore but I have no idea how they sheltered. I only found out what a hero my grandad was about 5 years ago when my auntie told me what happened that night, when he was alive I never saw him as a hero but he and so many others in this city were and we owe so much to them as we do to all our armed services.

letsallsingtogether

More like Brine!

Users who are viewing this thread