10 games to gel together (1 Viewer)

brinner

is what were going to need i think.

Keep picking up points and stay in the top 10 then hopefully as we improve so will the results.

Need to get our players fit, Barton and Jennings still need a few games and we need to get Flecks hamstring right.

From what i saw yesterday Jennings will be crucial, need backbone in the midfield and he will provide it as theres going to be a lot of teams in our faces like yesterday and its not gonna be pretty.

tippex9

My sentiments exactly.

ggrady

Conor Thomas is still to come back. I don't think they need a bedding in time or we will be left behind. Thorn said it in the fans forum we have to be ready straight away it's the same for everyone

KersleyDigs

Conor Thomas is still to come back. I don't think they need a bedding in time or we will be left behind. Thorn said it in the fans forum we have to be ready straight away it's the same for everyone
Agreed. Thomas impressed me last year. Jennings, Barton and Fleck look good players too. I'd play Kilbane at left back. He certainly not in our strongest 4 central players. Also i'd say Cameron is better than Brown! Not sure we needed him really?!

AFCCOVENTRY

We need to give this new team time. That midfield is completely new with Fleck, Barton, Jennings, Kilbane etc.

What was encouraging for me was the positions Cody was getting into. He will get more clinical along with the new team over the next 10 games.

A bit of patience chaps.

Sbarcher

That's logical, but when other changed sides hit the season at full belt, it means we are already playing catch-up. They are pro footballers, they should need no time to play as they are told and play as a team. Don't believe in this time to gel bollocks, just another excuse to deflect criticism.

Astute

10 games is roughly 20% of the season. In most jobs if you take 20% of a year to get up to standard you'd get sacked.

It takes at least 2 years on my job. Took me just under a year, but others have been doing it for five years and still not that good. The sack? Never.

Grendel

It takes at least 2 years on my job. Took me just under a year, but others have been doing it for five years and still not that good. The sack? Never.

By 10 games into the season thorn will have been in charge for 18 months which I believe is longer than average in these leagues. If he has not improved on his obvious shortcomings then of course he goes by then. We are not a registered charity trying to make unsuitable people into managers.

If we lose our first couple of home games he won't survive. If we beat Bury and get 12 or so points after 10 matches he may soldier on but my feeling is the supporters are far less tolerant of him than people on here say.

Nonleagueherewecome

If we lose against Sheff U, the fans will turn on the team, it's inevitable. Patience is already wearing thin as evidenced by the booing at the game, the reaction on here to the Yeovil game and the Thorn poll last week.

Grendel

If we lose against Sheff U, the fans will turn on the team, it's inevitable. Patience is already wearing thin as evidenced by the booing at the game, the reaction on here to the Yeovil game and the Thorn poll last week.

To be totally fair I think defeat against sheffield would not be a hammer blow - they are a big team in this league. Bury is another matter altogether. I cannot see us being beaten by them but then again I remember Grimsby and thought the same then.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah but c'mon, Grendel-you've seen the reaction to the Yeovil game. I'm supposedly a Thorn-lover but I was shocked at the mess at Nuneaton: if we see such incoherence against what-on paper-is our biggest game of the season, the fans will turn, I can feel it in my bones ;)

Astute

indeed, Mcdonalds struggles to recruit as it is.

Just because you don't have a career it don't mean I am similar. Only a mechanical engineer myself.Have to work on average 142 shifts a year and would say I pay more in stoppages than you earn.

Well done boy.

Grendel

Yeah but c'mon, Grendel-you've seen the reaction to the Yeovil game. I'm supposedly a Thorn-lover but I was shocked at the mess at Nuneaton: if we see such incoherence against what-on paper-is our biggest game of the season, the fans will turn, I can feel it in my bones ;)

As you know I have always been against him so I cannot really be very objective. However I am surprised by the reaction to an away draw on day one given that this is a new league and team. It's hardly doomsday. I've never heard a phone in on day one with fans blatantly saying get thorn out when it seemed fairly accepting that we kept with him on relegation. If I was honest and objective i would say we drew at Yeovil just move on.

Astute

It's the same where I work too!!

No idea what you do, vut I run and fix machinery about the size of nearly a football pitch. Easy when all is well. That is why I can be on here all night when at work. On rare occasion can be fixing it for most of my shift :(

WillieStanley

Just because you don't have a career it don't mean I am similar. Only a mechanical engineer myself.Have to work on average 142 shifts a year and would say I pay more in stoppages than you earn.

Well done boy.

Judging from your car... I didn't think you were a social worker like me!! Ha!!

Nonleagueherewecome

As you know I have always been against him so I cannot really be very objective. However I am surprised by the reaction to an away draw on day one given that this is a new league and team. It's hardly doomsday. I've never heard a phone in on day one with fans blatantly saying get thorn out when it seemed fairly accepting that we kept with him on relegation. If I was honest and objective i would say we drew at Yeovil just move on.

Yeah, just wanting to be honest and objective-and wanting the best for the club-I say the same. We'll know more about the kind of season it's likely to be after the next two games. Plus lots more of us will see those fixtures than saw Yeovil, it will be less based on listening to a (rubbish) radio commentary.

Astute

Judging from your car... I didn't think you were a social worker like me!! Ha!!

That is my toy. Take her on track here and Europe. Cheap car but spent thousands on her. Can beat a Ferrari on a straight. No chance around corners though :D Power turned down to 350 BHP until I get a chance to do next part of rebuild. Only keeping shell and engine. Costs me £300 a year fully comp

WillieStanley

That is my toy. Take her on track here and Europe. Cheap car but spent thousands on her. Can beat a Ferrari on a straight. No chance around corners though :D Power turned down to 350 BHP until I get a chance to do next part of rebuild. Only keeping shell and engine. Costs me £300 a year fully comp

I have a push bike!! :)

WillieStanley

Yeah, just wanting to be honest and objective-and wanting the best for the club-I say the same. We'll know more about the kind of season it's likely to be after the next two games. Plus lots more of us will see those fixtures than saw Yeovil, it will be less based on listening to a (rubbish) radio commentary.

I will be honest. I just like the fella and that clouds my judgement too!! He's a good guy and seems to learn. The only time I've called for his head was around Feb when it was obvious something needed to change. The transfer windows had been and gone so the only thing we could have changed was the manager. But he started to show progress. One thing I've not said, and I guess it doesn't matter, but I worked with Bigi's cousin a while back, who insisted that Gael hated him. Loved the club, coaching set up, fans etc but could not buy into Thorn at all. But he readily admitted that he was an anomily. The majority of the squad think he's great but are all too aware of the last board and their complete incompetence. I am lead to believe that there was an air of mutany about to take off had we not signed any players again.

On the face of it, though, a big problem last season was lack of leadership and chance creation. We conceded a sloppy set piece to draw in our opening match which was away, and from looking at the highlights, we created a fair few chances. What concerns me is that Kilbane, in his interviews, seems reluctant to take that leadership role. He doesn't seem very confident in his own leaderhip abilities and if that is apparent to me in a CET interview, it must be blindingly obvious to his fellow team mates.

Astute

I am undecided about AT. I always said we won't know until he had a decent squad. He now has it. If we don't start improving soon then the end must be near. Yeovil never lost a friendly game. We will see where we are once we have played some more games.

Astute

If we lose on Tuesday (which isn't out of the question) this place will be torrid.

If we won 5-0 there will still be some finding fault. Some others will be quiet until we have a bad result.

SkyBlueScottie

10 games is roughly 20% of the season. In most jobs if you take 20% of a year to get up to standard you'd get sacked.

You are kidding, I have been in my job for 7 years and am still learning, I make decisions and work with people who can all react in different ways, football is similar.

Its also a game where the thinnest of margins can alter a game dramatically, look at Clarkes chance, from his angle it looks as the ball is going wide, it hits the post and while he reacts quickly, had he been a metre further in pitch he would have had a better angle and potentially would have reacted a lot quicker which might have enabled him a better chance to get the shot on target. That goes in, we win the game, we potentially score another, is Thorn up to scratch then?

Users who are viewing this thread