1 x Centre back off a flat back four... (1 Viewer)

KersleyDigs

Listening to the Sky blues podcast, Turner says that Mowbray has suggested once he has an experienced centre half signed up we will revert to a flat back four, as the three at the back system has been stifling our attacking play.

Turner suggests the 3-5-2 formation has purely been used due to the players available. I am unsure of this, as it was the formation which stopped the rot and the end of last season, I feel Mowbray may have been tempted to have it as plan A this year, but apparently not.....?

I am pleased to be honest as Jodi Jones & Kyel Reid are wingers, NOT number 10s! Hopefully he gets this centre half in and we can look a little less like relegation fodder!

stupot07

So is Andy turner saying Willis and Turnbull (or ricketts or harries couldn't play in a 2 in a back 4?) Might as well bin willis off then if he can only play in a 3....

We have players that can play 442 or 4231, me thinks Andy Turner is clutching at straws a touch. I think its been pretty clear that the 352/343 is/was mowbray new plan a for this season but its back fired and not worked.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coop

What a load of bollocks the player's to play 4 at the back are already in the door.

chiefdave

I don't really see why we can't play 4 at the back with the players we have at the back. Its not like what we're doing is working. If 4 at the back is the plan going forward then just play it now with the players we have, at least the team will get used to playing that way.

NorthernWisdom

So is Andy turner saying Willis and Turnbull (or ricketts or harries couldn't play in a 2 in a back 4?) Might as well bin willis off then if he can only play in a 3....

We have players that can play 442 or 4231, me thinks Andy Turner is clutching at straws a touch. I think its been pretty clear that the 353 is/was mowbray new plan a for this season but its back fired and not worked.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3-5-3 would be most excellent mind you.

AFCCOVENTRY

Why can't Turnbull and Willis play together in the centre?

Have the feeling Mowbray is being over protective.

RCC
Geordie Willis Turnbull Page
Jones Gadzhev McCann Reid
Sordell Agyei

KG7

I'm not sure that this is true. All of the rumblings coming out of the camp during the summer suggested that we were going for this formation, and Kyel Reid, who signed relatively early, mentioned that he was particularly looking forward to playing as part of a front three in the new system but could also slot in at wingback if required...

Tony Mowbray has challenged latest Coventry City signing Kyel Reid to add goals to his game.

The Sky Blues boss has handed the 28-year-old winger a two-year deal at the Ricoh Arena where he plans to play him out wide as well as in a more direct striking role to get goals.

“He’s a good footballer and I think he will be versatile for us so I am happy enough with that,” said Mowbray of the former Bradford City star.

“I think can play in that role that Ryan Haynes has been playing wide on the left and attacking as well as left of the front three.

“Ryan needs competition as well and Kyel can do that job but I’ve had a good chat with him about adding goals to his game. Watching him in training he can jink past players and shoot.

“He started as a striker and I remember watching him as a youngster playing for West Ham and when he went to Bradford they had some big centre-forwards with people like James Hanson so he was given the job of getting the ball in the box.

“So hopefully he can bring his talent to the team to help us score goals as well as create them.”

Reid became a free agent after leaving Preston North End at the end of the season, having been on loan at his former club Bradford City last term.

He told the club website: “I’m a player that likes to excite, I like to get fans off their feet.

"As soon as I get the ball I look to go forward and run with it, using my pace to create. The game at the Ricoh last year was probably one of my better ones.

“I’d like to play as part of a front three, because I want to be on the scoresheet. I’d just be happy to get out there and put the shirt on and be helping the team to compete for the points we need to be at the top of the table.

“You’ve probably seen that I finished on four goals last year but I want to top that. My stats suggest I got the most amount of crosses in the league last season, and I’m looking to kick on from there really.

"The manager has bought me here to score goals and there is no better feeling than scoring for your team, if I get between eight and ten I’d be happy.”

He added: “The way the manager wants to attack the league this year was exciting for me and the new formation is something for me to look forward to. It is a style of play I’m used to from my time at West Ham and the England youth setup.

“It gives players like me a chance to express themselves. I want to repay the favour and the gaffer’s faith in me by producing on the pitch.

“Tony is a great manager, very experienced. He’s managed some top sides. And the club itself is massive. It’s just about me doing my bit now to ensure the club gets back to where it needs to be.”

AFCCOVENTRY

I think Mogga has realised this formation isn't working with these players and is in a right pickle.

But his refusal to even to try 4-4-2 with the players is just as baffling,

Winny the Bish

By "flat back four" does Mowbray mean doing a West Brom and playing four centre-backs across the entire defence? I bloody hope not!

KersleyDigs

Willis has had some storming games at centre half in a flat back four! One against Walsall alongside Pennington who wasn't exactly talking him through the game comes to mind....

Hobo

But didn't he sell some players because they wouldn't fit into the new system, yet five games in he's changing the system back.
I'm getting seriously worried about TM and his management.

Who has he sold apart from Maddison?

He didn't renew Martin's contract because he felt he wasn't aggressive enough. Reda was aggressive but too injury prone.

We all know he has missed targets. He had to let players go before replacements were brought in 1. Because their contract was up 2 Because the wage has to be freed up for the incoming player.

If he wanted to favour a 442 that would make sense with him bringing in Jones and Reid (wingers). But I think we have had the personnel to play 442.

However players should have been able to have played the system we started with better. But it does seem to pin the central mid fielders too deep to be creative. Which always seemed to be the problem with Fleck. I was never sure whether that was down to Fleck or the system

Although I am a fan of stability and continuity Mowbray needs to get a grip of these problems and we need to see a marked improvement over the next 6 games.

skybluepm2

What a load of bollocks the player's to play 4 at the back are already in the door.

Exactly what I was thinking. Sterry, Willis, Turnbull, Page seems decent enough to me. Strengthened more so when Stokes is fit.

Vlad and McCann in the middle, Reid left, Jones right, Sordell and big Dan up top.

PVA

Willis and Turnbull would be a good centre back pairing in my opinion.

I'm not sure Willis will be too happy at hearing Mowbray saying we don't have a good enough right sided centre back.

covcity4life

its pretty simple from reading article

he wants a good enough right footed cb to play with turball in a 4, obviously willis aint that guy for him just yet

as for current formation he also says its added defensive stabuility and tweaks needed upfront. hes happy with how high the wing backs are pushing

it doesnt mean doom and gloom if we stick with 3-5-2, hes had a week of training now and will again next week(i think?) we will start to see much improved performances regardless of which formation we use

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

its pretty simple from reading article

he wants a good enough right footed cb to play with turball in a 4, obviously willis aint that guy for him just yet

as for current formation he also says its added defensive stabuility and tweaks needed upfront. hes happy with how high the wing backs are pushing

it doesnt mean doom and gloom if we stick with 3-5-2, hes had a week of training now and will again next week(i think?) we will start to see much improved performances regardless of which formation we use

Yep, clear from the article that he doesn't think Willis is good enough in a 2 which is surprising.

steve82

I'm surprised as I don't rate him as a right back, not a attacking one that's for sure, more a Centre back for me.

ajsccfc

I'm the same. I look for fullbacks to offer more of an attacking threat and he's a bit hesitant in that regard.

Skyblueweeman

Any CB who's been a defender all their life, can play in a 2 or a 3...if they can't, they're in the wrong trade.

mrtrench

I would imagine his point is that he doesn't have a strong senior centre half to organise the kids. Ricketts now deemed too old. Hence with only two there he would feel vulnerable and hence wants three.

dongonzalos

Why can't Turnbull and Willis play together in the centre?

Have the feeling Mowbray is being over protective.

RCC
Geordie Willis Turnbull Page
Jones Gadzhev McCann Reid
Sordell Agyei

Agree
Ricketts ready to come in at CB
Haynes in at LB
Wright in for one of the strikers
Bigi for midfielders
depending on the form of these players
Good team

lord_garrincha

I agree that it does not say much for Willis if he does not believe that him and Turnbull cannot play as CBs in a back four.

Against Shrewsbury he played 3-4-3 without a striker and we had a situation where the inside forwards (wingers really) and wing backs were treading on each others toes.

Then against Northampton, he decides to play 3-4-3 with three number 9s together (Sordell, Agyei and Tudgay).

It doesn't suggest the clearest of thinking at present.

Martin180

Sorry I'm a bit confused by this whole thread

Turner posts something on the CET site alleging Mowbray has said something and the whole thread evolves into a blame Mowbray off the back of it , or have I misread it ?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That Finnish defender Ojala has just joined the top club back in Finland.

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in the next few weeks and makes Mowbray's comments look stupid.

Grendel

When did the Finnish league become a decent standard ?

I believe Mowbray at the time claimed we didn't need him as we have enough cover in that area.

Mowbray is rapidly becoming the Basil Fawlty of management. He will never descend to the depths plummeted by thorn but he seems to be attempting to be runner up.

Martin180

I thought he claimed he was coming back from an injury (neck if I recall) and couldn't gamble on his recuperation time ?

Users who are viewing this thread