Match Thread ⚽️ Leicester City vs Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 6th Aug (2 Viewers)

Hertsccfc

Like everyone else I thought Thomas looked really good but, he let Vardy get ahead of him for his chance and was culpable for their first goal which changed the match. Must do better in these crucial moments. They got to the line too often down our left, McAteer had acres of space and their best chance in the first half. Their first goal came from a cross that we have to cut out. Need to tighten up down that side. Godden has been crucified by some on social media. However two shots were good saves, one skidded past the post and the other was awful. I would be worried if he was not in the right place to get off shots. His general play and movement was excellent. He set up a great chance for Palmer that was deflected by a brilliant stop by Winks. Simms looked lost in the first half, very good in the second. Hadji looked a handful and did not realise his shot was tipped onto the post. We were a man down in midfield and it showed at times against class players. Kelly didn't let the side down, as usual, but he is not Hamer. Eccles was brilliant as was Ben Wilson (no chance with the goals). Milan looked like a rabbit in the headlights and hopefully it was down to nerves and a new club and country. Sheaf was great on the ball but was beaten for pace on several occasions.
Excellent post. Agree with all that.

Yes I saw Thomas leave Vardy unchallenged just before their first goal. I wonder if it was a sign of tiredness. Also Kelly was not the problem, other than he isn't anyway near as good as Hamer. MvE coming on for Eccles was the difference.

stupot07

Like everyone else I thought Thomas looked really good but, he let Vardy get ahead of him for his chance and was culpable for their first goal which changed the match. Must do better in these crucial moments. They got to the line too often down our left, McAteer had acres of space and their best chance in the first half. Their first goal came from a cross that we have to cut out. Need to tighten up down that side. Godden has been crucified by some on social media. However two shots were good saves, one skidded past the post and the other was awful. I would be worried if he was not in the right place to get off shots. His general play and movement was excellent. He set up a great chance for Palmer that was deflected by a brilliant stop by Winks. Simms looked lost in the first half, very good in the second. Hadji looked a handful and did not realise his shot was tipped onto the post. We were a man down in midfield and it showed at times against class players. Kelly didn't let the side down, as usual, but he is not Hamer. Eccles was brilliant as was Ben Wilson (no chance with the goals). Milan looked like a rabbit in the headlights and hopefully it was down to nerves and a new club and country. Sheaf was great on the ball but was beaten for pace on several occasions.

It was Hamer not Godden who set up the blocked chance of Palmer.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
bae698eeb30e925d291207527227f7f9.jpg
8d0ea6beed6ee2f79d1c101de091eafb.jpg

fernandopartridge

I looked at quite a few different teams' forums and all were complimentary about us. Going forward we looked more dangerous than we did at the end of last season actually

clint van damme

I looked at quite a few different teams' forums and all were complimentary about us. Going forward we looked more dangerous than we did at the end of last season actually

We certainly have more variety in our play.
As great as Vik was we were quite 1 dimensional with him in the team, although it was a very effective dimension!

Excellent post. Agree with all that.

Yes I saw Thomas leave Vardy unchallenged just before their first goal. I wonder if it was a sign of tiredness. Also Kelly was not the problem, other than he isn't anyway near as good as Hamer. MvE coming on for Eccles was the difference.
Eccles kept their winger quiet, didn’t know they had a left winger until Eccles got brought off

That's the point I was making. The change that caused the problem was MvE not Kelly. All the criticism of Kelly is unfair. He was fine.
I wouldn’t say Kelly was to blame but he’s very far off it. He isn’t a championship player. When we play Eccles at wing back we then restrict ourselves to have to play Kelly cause Eccles isn’t on the bench to bring on. That’s just our lack of squad depth

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's the point I was making. The change that caused the problem was MvE not Kelly. All the criticism of Kelly is unfair. He was fine.
I agree that MvE playing too far forward was a massive problem.

The thing with Kelly isn't that Kelly was bad, it's that he came on for Hamer who made us tick. When that happened the entire momentum of the game shifted.

Mucca Mad Boys

Eccles kept their winger quiet, didn’t know they had a left winger until Eccles got brought off
Eccles didn’t keep their winger quiet. There was a couple of moments Maviddi skipped down our right hand side and Thomas was doing a lot of covering work.

That change was more tactical, as we were pushing forward, there was more space down the flanks to attack. Whereas, in the first half, we were more compact and difficult to break down.

Eccles didn’t keep their winger quiet. There was a couple of moments Maviddi skipped down our right hand side and Thomas was doing a lot of covering work.

That change was more tactical, as we were pushing forward, there was more space down the flanks to attack. Whereas, in the first half, we were more compact and difficult to break down.
That don’t make any sense Why would he make changes for us to push forward after going 1-0 up surely it would make more sense to keep a team that’s hard to break down just after scoring. I felt like he made the changes just as Leicester were coming back into the game if anything

Thomas had to cover a few times in the first half but maviddi hurt us a lot more in the second half when Eccles got taken off

Mucca Mad Boys

That don’t make any sense Why would he make changes for us to push forward after going 1-0 up surely it would make more sense to keep a team that’s hard to break down just after scoring. I felt like he made the changes just as Leicester were coming back into the game if anything

Thomas had to cover a few times in the first half but maviddi hurt us a lot more in the second half when Eccles got taken off

The nature of the game was quite back and forth. We created more ‘big chances’ despite our lack of possession. There’s going to space in those kind of games.

In the second half of games, fatigue becomes more of a factor. Robins highlighted that Leicester’s style of play worn us down - hence Hamer and Palmer were subbed off.

Eccles struggled with Mavdidi 1-v-1 which is where most of Leicester’s threat came from in the first half. If Eccles plays the entire 90, he gets more fatigue and the outcome of Mavdidi hurting is in the final 20 is likely unchanged.

Last edited:

shmmeee

We hadn’t just gone ahead

Hutch11

The nature of the game was quite back and forth. We created more ‘big chances’ despite our lack of possession. There’s going to space in those kind of games.

In the second half of games, fatigue becomes more of a factor. Robins highlighted that Leicester’s style of play worn us down - hence Hamer and Palmer were subbed off.

Eccles struggled with Mavdidi 1-v-1 which is where most of Leicester’s threat came from in the first half. If Eccles plays the entire 90, he gets more fatigue and the outcome of Mavdidi hurting is in the final 20 is likely unchanged.
Mavdidi hardly had a kick 1st half, Eccles got to grips with him very quickly , he only caused us problems when Eccles came off

Can’t remember Eccles or Thomas struggling with him at all first half might’ve got in behind once but I remember Thomas blocking the cross for a corner. Second half when Eccles went off it was like masviddi had just been subbed on

fatso

The substitutions on 71 minutes changed the game for me, losing Hamer and Eccles left us looking disjointed. Kelly is a DM and not the box to box player Hamer is and so Leicester got far more possession, and MvE looked clueless. The writing was on the wall after the subs.

This highlights a few issues.
1, the new players need time to bed in, and Leicester away was always a big ask for the first game.
2, our pre season left us totaly unprepared,
Forest Green and Exeter were no where near High enough standards to prep for a team that were in the Premier league 2 months ago.
3, although we can field a very capable first eleven, we still need more strength in depth.
4, we need more pace upfront.

shmmeee

The substitutions on 71 minutes changed the game for me, losing Hamer and Eccles left us looking disjointed. Kelly is a DM and not the box to box player Hamer is and so Leicester got far more possession, and MvE looked clueless. The writing was on the wall after the subs.

This highlights a few issues.
1, the new players need time to bed in, and Leicester away was always a big ask for the first game.
2, our pre season left us totaly unprepared,
Forest Green and Exeter were no where near High enough standards to prep for a team that were in the Premier league 2 months ago.
3, although we can field a very capable first eleven, we still need more strength in depth.
4, we need more pace upfront.

We’ve got one of the fastest forwards in the league and I think the fastest wing back!

shmmeee

It was all stuff that well work out. It’ll take a while for the wingbacks and CBS and whoever ends up goalie to understand each other. 7 debuts on Sunday, so much gelling to happen and probably another defensive signing.

shmmeee

Just watched the whole game on iFollow. Some observations:

- Clive and Oggy trying to pronounce van Ewijk and coming up with “Ayvac and Erwik” just class
- Sheaf and Palmer both caught in possession a bit too much
- Sloppy passes from everyone from time to time.
- Godden played fine, chances weren’t sitters
- So did Simms, though shouldn’t have tried his chance first time
- So did van Ewijk

Users who are viewing this thread