Match Thread ⚽️ Huddersfield Town vs Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Mar (1 Viewer)

curly_tom

He'll definitely play Godden over Walker, I can't imagine either of them ever getting a goal again but I hope I'm wrong

no_loyalty

I think it needs to be 3 up top. Huddersfield are really going to be up for it and will come at us with high intensity. Better chance of picking them off on the break with the 3 forwards anyway.
Hopefully he plays all three up front or maybe try Godden just in behind Vik and Walker, anything has to be better than JWE in there (I wonder if we have an agreement with Man City on number of games he has to play?)

Brighton Sky Blue

Hopefully he plays all three up front or maybe try Godden just in behind Vik and Walker, anything has to be better than JWE in there (I wonder if we have an agreement with Man City on number of games he has to play?)

If we’re going to play JWE it should be in his preferred position, but I can’t think of many situations where I’d want him over Bidwell.

Matt smith

Long as JWE is no where near the starting 11 I’m happy

Burroughs at RWB

Maguire at CAM, even though clearly robins doesn’t rate him but he’s played 150 plus in the championship

Gibbo

Assumptions
1. Whatever he plays it's going to be a patched up midfield
2. The object is to get at least draw,and possibly nick a win. Our injuries, their survival fight and new manager. It'll be hard, ugly and close
3. MR believes in consistency. He will stick to 3 at the back and pack the midfield even if some players end up is odd places
4. Panzo back but none of the other injured available.

Proposal
Wilson
McNally - McFadzean - Doyle
Burroughs - Panzo - Hamer - Eccles - Bidwell
Norton-Cuffy
Gyokeres

Justification
Before the howls of derision come flying in for playing BNC forward . MR to tell BNC to pretend he's a winger. he's got the ball skills.

Declaration of interest.
The two times I have seen him, I liked BNC. I realise I am probably in a minority

EalingSB

Just listening to the Not The Top 20 betting podcast. They have us as their main nap in the Championship at 13/10 - calling it incredible value (while potentially not being aware of our midfield crisis).

Hobo

Huddersfield are well organised and their shape is good. Even at home they will sit deep and play on the counter.

I dont see the point of playing three up front. You need to win the midfield then draw them out with possession.

This is a tricky technical game. Unless we score early I can see it going to the last 10 minutes when hopefully they are getting tired chasing our possession and the game is starting to get stretched and opening up. Saturday will be about patience and being clinical with our chances.

Paxman II

We need to win ideally. Now it could be a tough ask with the list of injuries we have. But the same could be said about Preston, and we looked the more likely to win that. Can't see Vik having two 'off' games in a row either. We do need someone to stamp authority in midfield so Hamer can venture forward. I would maybe bring in Rose and put Doyle in the hole in front. He has a searing left foot & can pick a pass. Dabo may well come back in. We should have too much for Huddersfield this season tbf.

Blake

Assumptions
2. The object is to get at least draw,and possibly nick a win. Our injuries, their survival fight and new manager. It'll be hard, ugly and close
3. MR believes in consistency. He will stick to 3 at the back and pack the midfield even if some players end up is odd places

Proposal
Wilson
Norton-Cuffy
Gyokeres

Justification
Before the howls of derision come flying in for playing BNC forward . MR to tell BNC to pretend he's a winger. he's got the ball skills.

Declaration of interest.
The two times I have seen him, I liked BNC. I realise I am probably in a minority
12 players might not be allowed, but maybe nobody would notice?

Johhny Blue

Assumptions

Proposal
Wilson
Norton-Cuffy
Gyokeres

Justification

Declaration of interest.
I agree re BNC he looks ok going forward. Good ball control under pressure and gets his crosses (or ground balls) in. He’s ok in defence when he’s in position. His weakness is the almost casual stroll back when we’re not in possession. He’ll do ok if the haters don’t undermine his confidence.

Brighton Sky Blue

Huddersfield are well organised and their shape is good. Even at home they will sit deep and play on the counter.

I dont see the point of playing three up front. You need to win the midfield then draw them out with possession.

This is a tricky technical game. Unless we score early I can see it going to the last 10 minutes when hopefully they are getting tired chasing our possession and the game is starting to get stretched and opening up. Saturday will be about patience and being clinical with our chances.
We are missing an entire midfield, there is nobody left to put in there except Hamer and Eccles, who themselves might be pushing their limits to keep going.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If all this talk of a playoff push is genuine, then going for a draw is not good enough. They're one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst. The aim has to be for three points with no excuses.

Sky Blue Pete

It will be about our fan base having realistic expectations of what’s possible without many of our first team

clint van damme

Sure, but a team that doesn't beat Huddersfield probably doesn't deserve to be promoted.

We're not going to get promoted. We're looking at 'down to the bare bones' in the rear view mirror.

I'd happily take a point and no further injuries Saturday because I don't want to spend the rest of the season watching a team consisting of 10 foetuses and Kyle Walker up front.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We're not going to get promoted. We're looking at 'down to the bare bones' in the rear view mirror.

I'd happily take a point and no further injuries Saturday because I don't want to spend the rest of the season watching a team consisting of 10 foetuses and Kyle Walker up front.

I've continuously been throwing caution to the whole promotion idea, but my point still stands. If we are good enough to hit the playoffs at least, settling against Huddersfield isn't an option. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to give themselves a shake.

slowpoke

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
Burroughs Hamer Eccles Bidwell
Godden Walker
Vik

Moore Rose Dabo JWE BNC Howley Maguire

Really hope he gives Jack a start, for me he's been pretty steady every time he's played. I'm not a fan of either of the young loan wing backs, I accept they may improve with games but with 12 games to go, how many are they going to need? we should be developing our own player who will be here next season.
He will be and his brother.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just listening to the Not The Top 20 betting podcast. They have us as their main nap in the Championship at 13/10 - calling it incredible value (while potentially not being aware of our midfield crisis).

Yes - people not paying attention to the detail; Easily done, and if you took our 5 game unbeaten run without digging any further, understandable.

clint van damme

I've continuously been throwing caution to the whole promotion idea, but my point still stands. If we are good enough to hit the playoffs at least, settling against Huddersfield isn't an option. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to give themselves a shake.

Those type of statements are absolutely meaningless to be honest.
Anyone who wants to hit the play offs shouldn't have won only 2 games by October but that's where Forest were last season.

In this league it's not about who you should or shouldn't beat its just about getting the necessary points by the end of the season and a cursory look at anyone who's won promotion over the years will see a fair few defeats in games 'they should of won', its the nature of the league.

Even last years clear Championship winners got rinsed by us home and away.

It's all academic anyway, we won't have enough, 3 succesive dreadful transfer windows have killed us.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Those type of statements are absolutely meaningless to be honest.
Anyone who wants to hit the play offs shouldn't have won only 2 games by October but that's where Forest were last season.

In this league it's not about who you should or shouldn't beat its just about getting the necessary points by the end of the season and a cursory look at anyone who's won promotion over the years will see a fair few defeats in games 'they should of won', its the nature of the league.

Even last years clear Championship winners got rinsed by us home and away.

It's all academic anyway, we won't have enough, 3 succesive dreadful transfer windows have killed us.

It isn't meaningless. The best teams should beat the shitter ones. Of course it doesn't always happen, that isn't the point either, but I think it's strange how many of the same people banging on about the playoffs are the same ones who are happy to just avoid defeat at Huddersfield. We won't get many easier opportunities for points. You must see that, surely?

As I said previously, it's going to take a few more weeks of decent results for me to even think about a top six finish being a realistic possibility.

no_loyalty

As I said previously, it's going to take a few more weeks of decent results for me to even think about a top six finish being a realistic possibility.
I really hope we can stay in the mix, those mid table end of season on the beach games are shite.

clint van damme

It isn't meaningless. The best teams should beat the shitter ones. Of course it doesn't always happen, that isn't the point either, but I think it's strange how many of the same people banging on about the playoffs are the same ones who are happy to just avoid defeat at Huddersfield. We won't get many easier opportunities for points. You must see that, surely?

But I'm not, and haven't all season, banged on about the play offs, and especially now we have so many players out.

But the logic you're trying to apply just doesn't work in the EFL.
You can look at the Championship, L1 and L2 any season and see examples of what I'm on about.
Look at our L2 season chasing the play offs, rinsed 6-2 in our penultimate home game by Yeovil.

These leagues defy logic.

shmmeee

Made my mind up now, go with BNE and JWE at top of the box, playing slightly wider than Allen and Palmer did. Tell Vik to stay central and Gus to push forward when he can. Burroughs RWB. Can fit into a solid 541 without the ball and 343 with it.

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNE JWE
Gyokeres

S: Moore, Rose, Dabo, Howley, Maguire Walker, Godden

0-1 Vik to score.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Missing Sheaf, Palmer, Allen, O'Hare. That's a whole midfield on its own that we don't have access to even on the bench.

At something near full strength I'd expect us to beat Huddersfield most days-with this many injuries in a key part of the pitch, you can't deny it's a lot tougher. That and the 'SISU treble' of Maguire, BNC and JWE to desperately provide some depth

mmttww

Wilson
BNC
McNally
Fadz
Doyle
Bidwell
Hamer
Eccles
Burroughs
Godden
Vik

Keep a back three. Play two WBs in their normal position. Use Burroughs in a position he's played until the first team (stand to be corrected on that). He looks a good footballer; worth a shot.

If Maguire has listened to Robins and nails it in training this week, then play him there. Easy. Burroughs could move to RWB if that happens. He's earned it.

I just don't think we were that far off on Tue night esp. given the disruption to the game plan with Allen off. Walker did ok. We missed chances in both halves.

For that reason, trying anything too mad feels like an overreaction.

clint van damme

Made my mind up now, go with BNE and JWE at top of the box, playing slightly wider than Allen and Palmer did. Tell Vik to stay central and Gus to push forward when he can. Burroughs RWB. Can fit into a solid 541 without the ball and 343 with it.

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNE JWE
Gyokeres

S: Moore, Rose, Dabo, Howley, Maguire Walker, ??? (Whoever is fit)

0-1 Vik to score.

Cuffy struggles positionally at wing back, no chance he can play in a box and adapt to formation changes dependant on whether we're in or out of possesion.

Users who are viewing this thread