Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Stoke City Match Thread - Saturday 1st Apr (3 Viewers)

higgs

Interestingly I went to one of the “evenings with former players” Dion was there and gave his side of the story, which was that Richardson told him he’d accepted an offer from Blackburn. Dublin said “I don’t want to go to Blackburn I want to stay here I’ve signed a new contract” and was told “ tough we want the money you’re going”. He didn’t want to move his house kids schools etc so asked his agent to find somewhere closer hence Villa
Thought he only had a kid in the last 3 yrs?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

kg82

I don't have a problem with Dion, He was great for us, and that’s what stands out for me.
Me too. The Blackburn story is pretty much confirmed how it played out, Richardson just spewed some other rhetoric to get fans off his back.
Couldn’t hate Dion anyway. The summer Boateng joined Villa, I was at Birmingham airport, about to go on holiday. Villa team were there. Dublin sat down with my grandparents, had a coffee with them and spoke for 30 mins. Top man. Obviously, every other Villa player got daggers from me though!

Astute

Think I might have been at the same one, very clear about Richardson telling him you are going wether you want to or not lad.
Got invited on stage for photos and a chat, told him I just bought a small property to rent and did he think I should move the bathroom upstairs.
And yes, he did see the funny side.
What many conveniently forget is it was just after the Bosman ruling. Dion had come to the end of his contract. He could have left on a free and got a massive signing on fee but signed a new contract. 3 months later Richardson touted him for sale. Then it came out that there was a clause for any bids of £5,000,001 or above would be accepted.

I would love to know why some seem to think that he shouldn't have had the choice of which club he moved to. His family were very settled in the area. So it needed to be a local team that could afford 5m 25 years ago.

I have moved my family a long distance a couple of times. It isn't easy even when through choice. I remember clearly how gutted I was when it all came out. Best striker and defender I have seen playing for us. He even scored when given a place in defence.

No hard feelings at all. He may have gone to the club we disliked the most at the time but was treated badly by Richardson who lied to him to get the money for him.

Offhegoes

What many conveniently forget is it was just after the Bosman ruling. Dion had come to the end of his contract. He could have left on a free and got a massive signing on fee but signed a new contract. 3 months later Richardson touted him for sale. Then it came out that there was a clause for any bids of £5,000,001 or above would be accepted.

I would love to know why some seem to think that he shouldn't have had the choice of which club he moved to. His family were very settled in the area. So it needed to be a local team that could afford 5m 25 years ago.

I have moved my family a long distance a couple of times. It isn't easy even when through choice. I remember clearly how gutted I was when it all came out. Best striker and defender I have seen playing for us. He even scored when given a place in defence.

No hard feelings at all. He may have gone to the club we disliked the most at the time but was treated badly by Richardson who lied to him to get the money for him.
I remember our first game after he left was a 0-1 defeat at Highfield Road against Arsenal. We battled hard, but clearly missed big Dion. Got back to the car and heard he smashed a hattrick on his debut for Villa. Crushing. To be fair after that Strachan got Whelan & Huckerby working well as a front 2 which kept us from any real relegation fears that season

fernandopartridge

I remember our first game after he left was a 0-1 defeat at Highfield Road against Arsenal. We battled hard, but clearly missed big Dion. Got back to the car and heard he smashed a hattrick on his debut for Villa. Crushing. To be fair after that Strachan got Whelan & Huckerby working well as a front 2 which kept us from any real relegation fears that season

The thing I remember more about that game was that a steward had a heart attack and died

mmttww

Dots are looking good. Especially with payday for many tomorrow
Reckon same as Hull. Win this playing well and I think we'll finish top 6. Momentum starts again. Four wins from the last seven to do it. Don't win and we need five from seven which is daunting.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Reckon same as Hull. Win this playing well and I think we'll finish top 6. Momentum starts again. Four wins from the last seven to do it. Don't win and we need five from seven which is daunting.
Think there's quite a few more been sold than at this stage v Hull (not that I spend too much time looking at the dots...)

pusbccfc

Corporate sold out including the upper tier which is normally pretty empty.

Unfortunately won't be full top tier. Never is.

mmttww

Ticket office says it's gonna be busy. Family Zone offer has added a lot, apparently with that block(s) nearly sold. Behind the goal looks as busy as I've seen it a few days out and 24 is almost gone.

CV22SBA

They said they were expecting 21K for Hull and it was 1.3K higher, so 24K might be on the cards for Saturday. That would be a great effort.
Hull brought 1K more than Stoke currently are though so can’t see 22.5K home fans. I reckon the clubs estimate is about right.

pusbccfc

Shame Stoke not bringing many, price obviously putting them off as they have already sold Birmingham out the following week.

2500 from Stoke is good considering the price of the ticket, played at CBS loads and they have had another boring season.

Then again, they do get free coach travel.

Ashdown

Football at our level is still very much a working class man’s day out and £33 is too steep as a starting point for many. I know what the accountants and mathematicians will say but it’s a shame as I reckon this could have attracted 26000 at the right price.

pusbccfc

Football at our level is still very much a working class man’s day out and £33 is too steep as a starting point for many. I know what the accountants and mathematicians will say but it’s a shame as I reckon this could have attracted 26000 at the right price.

Arguement from the club's side would be that our biggest crowds this season have still been £33 and that cheaper games haven't really seen an increase.

It would have been slightly higher but I'm not sure it would pay off. It's a shame because I'd love us to sell 25,000 a week at £20 bit I don't think we would.

skybluelee

Hull brought 1K more than Stoke currently are though so can’t see 22.5K home fans. I reckon the clubs estimate is about right.
Home sales look decent though, definitely more than Hull. If Stoke sell 2K I reckon we'll be looking at 23K plus. 24K seems unlikely agreed, I was just pointing out that last time around the club's estimate was lower than the reality.

Last edited:

mmttww

Sounds like it could be most home fans so far this season but lower total. Still don't get why they open 25 and 26. Just pack behind the goal FFS.

shmmeee

Todays dots (just doing this cos I want a baseline for future games sorry if you’re not a dot fan):

View attachment 28860

Two more blocks down to singles only today. Could see 24 and 33 going tomorrow so it’s only behind the goal Saturday morning, plus walk up. Would be nice to get the front behind the goal filled.

9ADF95CA-F10E-48A0-9B7D-6E5E20A77272.jpeg

GaryPendrysEyes

They've sold 1.5, not 2.5.

The Ticket Office have received an additional 474 tickets for Stoke City’s Championship fixture against Coventry City on April 1 (kick-off 3pm).

The Potters received an initial allocation of 2,026 tickets at the CBS Arena, however this will now be boosted up to 2,500 after the initial allocation sold out.
—that was a while back. From their forum I think they will deffo being 2500 now.

blunted

The only problem I have with Dublin is that he refused to play before he left. Don't know if the rest about Richardson is true. Seem to remember he wanted to move before the revisionism kicked in

Users who are viewing this thread