“Lazy” (1 Viewer)

hill83

What was my lazy stereotype?

s-l1600.jpg

BlueSkiesForever

Clears ball from edge of own box -

View attachment 32520

10 secs later back in striker's role for Sheaf's throughball. The lazy bastard.

View attachment 32521

I don’t personally think he is that lazy, not when it comes to making runs, but certainly at the start of the season he seemed unsure what to do and compared to Godden who chases the ball around like a highland terrier, it makes him look comparatively “lazy”. Therefore I can see why many people have dubbed him as lazy, it’s nothing to do with skin colour.

It’s also dead easy to screenshot one example of when he made a great run and use it as evidence he’s not lazy. As I said, I don’t think he’s lazy, it just that he’s someone that pressing doesn’t come naturally to or doesn’t seem to be part of his game and this in turn has probably made people think he’s lazy. Race has nothing to do with it in my opinion, it may do for others but I honestly don’t believe that a large section of our supporters think Wright is lazy purely because of his race.

biggymania

First of all this is a great thread - thankyou for raising it.
Race has nothing to do with it in my opinion, it may do for others but I honestly don’t believe that a large section of our supporters think Wright is lazy purely because of his race.
That's why it's called unconcious bias... most people don't actively think that way, but we all have inherent biases and are influenced by those as well as everything said by others around us. The stats compiled at the top of this topic have a clear pattern that I think is inarguable. I recall the stick Stern John would get very well and it's pretty miserable that Wright is already getting similar accusations while clearly doing a lot of things right... all the while settling into a new league in a new country.

Ashdown

That's why it's called unconcious bias... most people don't actively think that way, but we all have inherent biases and are influenced by those as well as everything said by others around us. The stats compiled at the top of this topic have a clear pattern that I think is inarguable. I recall the stick Stern John would get very well and it's pretty miserable that Wright is already getting similar accusations while clearly doing a lot of things right... all the while settling into a new league in a new country.
Oh please not the new country thing and settling nonsense again.
He's took some stick primarily because he hasn’t looked like a £7 million striker not because he is lazy and I’m sure from 99% not because he is black. The same for Simms minus about £3.5 million !

biggymania

Oh please not the new country thing and settling nonsense again.
He's took some stick primarily because he hasn’t looked like a £7 million striker not because he is lazy and I’m sure from 99% not because he is black. The same for Simms minus about £3.5 million !
Well, the topic proves that he is being given stick because he is regularly accused of being lazy. I understand you don't agree with my other point but it doesn't invalidate or address the original one about unconscious bias.

shmmeee

There’s two parts to this, and neither seem to be addressed by those complaining:

1 - Do you accept black players get called lazy more on average than white players? If not what evidence would change your mind?

2 - If you accept 1, why do you think this is? Just a statistical quirk? Fan bias? Or are black players just more likely to be lazy? Why might that be?

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Does this apply to every day life ?
You can call a white person lazy but to accuse a black person the same means you're a racist.
Some people have far too much time on their hands.

Grendel

Well, the topic proves that he is being given stick because he is regularly accused of being lazy. I understand you don't agree with my other point but it doesn't invalidate or address the original one about unconscious bias.

It’s mainly two posters who call him lazy

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In fact, I would go as far to say, stick your nob in a sub woofer and play Ace of Spades at full volume.

😇
I took you up on your suggestion and first didn't get anything at all. Second time was much better, but wouldn't really be arsed to do it again.

I guess you win some, lose some. It's all the same to me.

Greggs

Just wondering, in the light of recent events, if people are re-evaluating their responses to this thread...?
For what reason was Palmer looking into the crowd, goading them, rather than concentrating on the game? I read a post on the Owls forum where one fan stated 'first half best player on the pitch - then he just switched off and started staring into the North stand and the kop. Not saying its laziness, just lack of concentration and the ability to perform for 90 mins. Robins should have subbed him after an hour as he was totally ineffective 2nd half.

Langers70

For what reason was Palmer looking into the crowd, goading them, rather than concentrating on the game? I read a post on the Owls forum where one fan stated 'first half best player on the pitch - then he just switched off and started staring into the North stand and the kop. Not saying its laziness, just lack of concentration and the ability to perform for 90 mins. Robins should have subbed him after an hour as he was totally ineffective 2nd half.
To me that suggests he could have been getting racist abuse for a lot longer than has so far been reported.If thats the case Wednesday should have the book throw at them.Players just dont start reacting like that for nothing,something more has gone on.

robbiekeane

I think while there’s obvious a hugely recognisable difference between the very obvious racism that palmer faced in this match and what was discussed at the start of this thread, I do think it’s important to recognise that these kind of ingrained biases unfortunately cultivate a culture where these more explicit racist acts can happen.

Lots of people have noted the fact that Wednesday fans have commented saying this individual had done similar things many times before. Why has that been allowed to happen? Unfortunately it starts with bias, leads into micro aggressions, and then escalates into outright hostility and these horrible events

In summary, hopefully this is a wake up call. It’s not just about coming out and slamming the obvious bad stuff but we need to be mindful of the smaller everyday biases too. Especially interested in those who may have been “skeptical” (I might be being a little bit kind) of the notion of systemic bias previously, to reflect on how these different forms of racism are interlinked

Last edited:

joemercersaces

👎

Greggs

"Should have subbed him to protect him (from the racist)" - talk of an enabler. Blame the victim.

'There is no excuse for it BUT.....'

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
If he'd been racially abused beforehand I'm sure he would have pointed it out.
Fucking behave anyway and stop trying to make out something that's not there. I was just saying, he should be concentrating on the match rather trying to wind up the opponents fans after 50 minutes.

Greggs

If he'd been racially abused beforehand I'm sure he would have pointed it out.
Fucking behave anyway and stop trying to make out something that's not there. I was just saying, he should be concentrating on the match rather trying to wind up the opponents fans after 50 minutes.
Actually, I take this back. There was footage of him being called something horrific from behind the goal after the 2nd goal I think. Would explain his head being elsewhere.

wingy

From my grandson he reckoned it started at that point about the time the second went,went to the ref several times.

Grendel

Actually, I take this back. There was footage of him being called something horrific from behind the goal after the 2nd goal I think. Would explain his head being elsewhere.

So @napolimp why was he banned?

Users who are viewing this thread