“Lazy” (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I genuinely don't recall anyone ever saying Gyokeres had an attitude problem.

You seem to have ignored Kane? Robins made some comment himself about MVE didn’t he? As he once did about Hiwula

Grendel

Yeah can we all agree Bright and Yakubu are exempt from this discussion?

Nazon was another with issues regarding behaviour

napolimp

You seem to have ignored Kane? Robins made some comment himself about MVE didn’t he? As he once did about Hiwula

I haven't ignored Kane, I just don't understand how he's pertinent to the discussion about players at the club? Hence the reply about Gyokeres.

shmmeee

I think the big difference between a Yakubu and a Bright and Wright and Simms is that Bright was ejected at the first opportunity and Yakubu never would have got on the pitch under Robins.

By saying Wright is lazy you’re also saying Robins is fine with a lazy player on the pitch. But we know that’s not true at all.

napolimp

Can I just throw in that Tyler Walker was widely panned as "lazy", and then to top it all off many said he was only a professional footballer because of who his dad was. Nice way to dismiss someone's entire career.

robbiekeane

I have and I believe the argument is flawed
Okay so you believe the argument is flawed about one example of many provided in one study out of 4.

What do you say about the data? We can all pick out random white players with attitude problems and black players who actually had poor attitudes, but we both know that isn’t what this is about.

They do not invalidate the broader pattern of racial bias observed in sports commentary and media representation. The key issue is not that these descriptions are never accurate or applicable to individual athletes, but that there’s a consistent, overarching trend where certain types of descriptions are disproportionately applied to athletes based on their race.

It’s important to differentiate between individual cases and systemic tendencies. While there will always be individual examples that don’t fit the general pattern, they don’t negate the existence of the pattern itself.

The goal is to highlight and address these broader, more pervasive trends that can influence public perception and contribute to stereotyping…

but you know that

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

lol nobody every took you seriously. Didn’t you challenge some to a boxing match on the internet? That was after you compared vaccine requirements to the holocaust :)

Unsurprisingly your comment sidesteps the issue. Is there something specific in the data or research presented that you disagree with?

You were the one that wanted to mandate the vaccines and force people to have them. It says far more about you.

This thread is an embarrassment. Your attempt at white knighting just makes you look like an imbecile, and it waters down the very real issues of racism.

shmmeee

You were the one that wanted to mandate the vaccines and force people to have them. It says far more about you.

This thread is an embarrassment. Your attempt at white knighting just makes you look like an imbecile, and it waters down the very real issues of racism.

Why does thinking about this upset you so much?

Its something lots of people have noticed independently and robbiekeane has done more than most and actually collected data on it, plus as he said its an observed phenomenon in research.

Seems to merit discussion. Why all the insults and attempts to shut people down?

Terry_dactyl

But isn’t part of the very real issue of racism/discrimination that people don’t reflect on their unconscious biases?
Even if you don’t believe it, I think it can only be a good thing to think about it. No?

Orlando

I think the big difference between a Yakubu and a Bright and Wright and Simms is that Bright was ejected at the first opportunity and Yakubu never would have got on the pitch under Robins.

By saying Wright is lazy you’re also saying Robins is fine with a lazy player on the pitch. But we know that’s not true at all.
I remember some people saying that Jacob Murphy was lazy and one of the worst players ever to put on a City shirt.As we all know,he is now playing champions league football.

shmmeee

I remember some people saying that Jacob Murphy was lazy and one of the worst players ever to put on a City shirt.As we all know,he is now playing champions league football.

Wordt city fan behaviour I’ve ever seen was some obese prick waddle down the stairs just so he could get his phone out as Murphy was taking a throw nearby and shout “don’t mind me just taking a picture of the worst player ever to play for city”

Absolute insanity.

Nick

Administrator
Wordt city fan behaviour I’ve ever seen was some obese prick waddle down the stairs just so he could get his phone out as Murphy was taking a throw nearby and shout “don’t mind me just taking a picture of the worst player ever to play for city”

Absolute insanity.

Sounds like a comedy genius.

oscillatewildly

I'm pretty sure Clarke-Salter got labelled as having an "attitude problem" (during second spell), although may be bad example due to the tweets situation. And I've seen a few on here alluding to MVE having an "attitude problem" as well. In fact, I think at least one poster threw Wright into that category. Really struggling to think of any white players, especially recently, who have had "attitude problems".
Talking of 'attitude problems', I'm reminded of an incident which occurred a few years back - I was walking down the street on a rather blustery day when my favourite felt fedora blew off and landed at the feet of a chap out walking his bulldog. The dog immediately pounced on my dislodged head wear and savaged it. I said, "You're dog's just wrecked my fedora". The bloke replied, "I don't give a f@*k".
I said, "I don't like your attitude". To which the dog walker replied - "It wasn't my hat he chewed it was your's".
Now I'm not saying all dog walkers have a bias (subconsciously or otherwise) towards fedoras but if my choice of millinery accessorising that day had been say a trilby, or a Homburg, I may well have been met with a little more sympathy.
Who knows?

TomRad85

This seems like a great opportunity to get back into the John vs Morrell debate.
Tbf I do actually get what the OP is saying but we are also talking about a fanbase who idolised Maxime fucking Biamou. Less racism, more inability to spot a good (or shit) player.
Summary: our fanbase is stupid, not racist.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Looking at yesterday’s game:

MVE chased a ball to the by-line where there was a slim chance of getting it.

Haji didn’t chase many balls that weren’t to his feet.

“We’ll fight to the game is won” is part of our club anthem. I for one want to see players run and chase and press the opposition.

See MVE above.

See also Godden when he pressed their keeper to a hurried clearance that gave us the possession back.

As for Biamou, he used to take the time to interact with fans. That’s the opposite of lazy.

I want to see Wright chase down and harry and press more. I want to see him throw himself in front of goal kicks occasionally in the slim hope of a rebound. And yes, run himself into the ground knowing we have 5 subs. I’d rather 100% effort for 60 mins than 60% for 100.

“Fight till the game is won”.
Wright will be instructed to keep the team in shape, he won't be asked to chase energy on every lost cause

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Vik also conserved his energy. And rarely chased and harried when he didn’t feel like it. It’s a style of playing striker to save your energy for what matters so you are still able to latch on at 90 mins and hit a decent shot.

Reactions: AOM

Orlando

Tbf I do actually get what the OP is saying but we are also talking about a fanbase who idolised Maxime fucking Biamou. Less racism, more inability to spot a good (or shit) player.
Summary: our fanbase is stupid, not racist.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Also never really understood the negativity the some people showed towards Biamou.He was signed as a squad player in league 2 and helped us achieve 2 promotions.Are you saying that Robins was wrong by continually picking him?

Macca

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I genuinely don't recall anyone ever saying Gyokeres had an attitude problem.

On a number of occasions he was rightly called out for his selfish attitude and his reactions to team mates. Quite rightly too. Waghorn as well. Not forgetting the much maligned Thornton, not because he was Irish but because he had an attitude problem. Eccles has had dogs abuse for his corners. Is it his pasty complexion…. Nah he’s just shit at corners 😂

Macca

Also never really understood the negativity the some people showed towards Biamou.He was signed as a squad player in league 2 and helped us achieve 2 promotions.Are you saying that Robins was wrong by continually picking him?

Don’t push it

False9

Interesting post .

Ever since I've followed the club the fans seem to use the lazy tag for black strikers exclusively. Very strange.

Bothroyd, John, Leon best, Clinton, Leon Clarke, bakayoko, walker, Palmer, Haji, Simms

In that same time period I can only think of Eastwood that the fans labelled lazy and even he could be considered to be from a minority background.

Macca

Anyway the next part of our experiment should be to resign all previous “lazy” black players. Come on guys Sunday isn’t for science give us your Lazy 11

Users who are viewing this thread