‘If’ we are promoted what do we need to compete in Championship? (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Hopefully we get promoted by whatever means in the next few weeks/month.

It seems years ago we were in the Champ and gunning for a return to the Premiership. We had exciting players that joined, had a go at ‘operation premiership’, then we had the most bizarre senior management running the football operations, Tango Ken etc, not able to get a share of the Ricoh, multiple relegations, playing at different grounds and a general laughing stock.

Then we started to make some sensible decisions to get the club back to operating within our means. Robins appointment was the best thing Sisu have done and they’ve backed him. There is trust in this relationship between owner and manager. Albeit in a situation we shouldn’t have been in. We should never have dropped to L2 but we did.

Robins has taken us to Wembley twice and won a cup final and play off final. Now Robins is on the cusp of a L1 champions medal. With AV by his side we are playing some of the sexiest football I’ve seen since the ‘entertainers’ in the Premiership.

It’s been absolute turmoil for this club since relegation from the premiership. But I feel we are probably in as good a position as we have been financially for a long while. The model in place is the right one for us. Get in decent players on perm contracts where affordable, complement with talented loan players and bring in quality youth through the academy. We have to also sell our top talent to bring in the next lot. We aren’t immune from that. Every club sells. We are operating within our means, which is probably the most important thing in the current climate. Clubs are going to go bust because of the current pandemic.

We will be back in the Championship and we now have a real chance to get things right. Increased TV revenues will boost the coffers but again we need to spend wisely to be able to compete and operate within our means. Critical to success next season is undoubtedly a return to the Ricoh. There would be a massive uptake of season tickets. A key revenue generator. I hope CCFC and Wasps can sort something out for us fans. Long term solutions need to be sorted, whatever that is.

Success next season in the Championship would be a return to Ricoh, survival and building a stronger financial footing.

We are finally enjoying the football side of things at our great club, but long term home is always the ‘elephant’ in the room.

PUSB

AFCCOVENTRY

I also forgot to mention. A potential salary cap next season will be to our advantage as a newly promoted club.

SBAndy

Player-wise, I think I’d be looking at making Walsh and O’Hare permanent, then bringing in a LWB, a young-ish centre mid to challenge/rotate with Kelly, an attacking mid probably in favour of Westbrooke (don’t think he’s a bad player, but probably won’t cut it in Champ) and a striker.

So a fair bit of activity I suppose. I’m sure one of two of those could be loans.

Sky Blue Pete

No chance of signing Walsh would cost too much in wages although does all that’s happened change this?

O’Hare is a funny one. I have never seen a player so invested in a club perhaps since Borrows or Oggy and he was on loan from our biggest rivals. He’s going to be some player and I’m not sure Villa would pass that up.

I think lots of plans in place for next season the only change will be none of our best players will be leaving for any sizeable money

cc84cov

Player-wise, I think I’d be looking at making Walsh and O’Hare permanent, then bringing in a LWB, a young-ish centre mid to challenge/rotate with Kelly, an attacking mid probably in favour of Westbrooke (don’t think he’s a bad player, but probably won’t cut it in Champ) and a striker.

So a fair bit of activity I suppose. I’m sure one of two of those could be loans.
Yeah I agree with this we also are gonna need at least 1 striker

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Left Back - Don’t think Mason will cut it as a championship starter

DM - love Kelly but I think he’s a league one player.

CM - like to think we’d sign Walsh but doubt Bristol will let him go cheap. We need a replacement to play alongside Allen.

O’Hare

ST - Godden might be ok, Baka, Biamou etc will be totally out of their depth

shmmeee

Bare minimum to play our current formation we’ll need: CB, LWB, DM x 2, AM, ST

I don’t think McFadz, Kelly, or Godden will be good enough, and obviously O’Hare, McCallum and Walsh are leaving.

Got to say these threads lose a little of their fun when you’ve got such a good manager and scouting team. I have complete faith that Robins and Vivash will build a competitive team and it might be on a whole different system.

covboy1987

No chance of signing Walsh would cost too much in wages although does all that’s happened change this?

O’Hare is a funny one. I have never seen a player so invested in a club perhaps since Borrows or Oggy and he was on loan from our biggest rivals. He’s going to be some player and I’m not sure Villa would pass that up.

I think lots of plans in place for next season the only change will be none of our best players will be leaving for any sizeable money
Got a chance of signing walsh due to the turmoil we are all experiencing - Money is going to be tight everywhere

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Bare minimum to play our current formation we’ll need: CB, LWB, DM x 2, AM, ST

I don’t think McFadz, Kelly, or Godden will be good enough, and obviously O’Hare, McCallum and Walsh are leaving.

Got to say these threads lose a little of their fun when you’ve got such a good manager and scouting team. I have complete faith that Robins and Vivash will build a competitive team and it might be on a whole different system.
O’Hare seems likely to try out the free agency - we could sign him. McFadz I reckon has one more season in him. Rose and Hyam are quick enough to cover

ccfcway

Also, no doubt Robins will be looking to make inroads in the championship, as his record there isnt great so far

shmmeee

How many players did we bring in the last 2 summers??

Last summer: 11
One before: 13

Not including loans and including U23s like Walters.

Edit: maybe I can’t count

Another edit: just checked transfer market and get 11: Marosi, Wilson, Rose, McFadz, Pask, Dabo, Allen, Young, Kastaneer, Jobello, Godden

Who am I missing?

The coventrian

Hopefully we get promoted by whatever means in the next few weeks/month.

It seems years ago we were in the Champ and gunning for a return to the Premiership. We had exciting players that joined, had a go at ‘operation premiership’, then we had the most bizarre senior management running the football operations, Tango Ken etc, not able to get a share of the Ricoh, multiple relegations, playing at different grounds and a general laughing stock.

Then we started to make some sensible decisions to get the club back to operating within our means. Robins appointment was the best thing Sisu have done and they’ve backed him. There is trust in this relationship between owner and manager. Albeit in a situation we shouldn’t have been in. We should never have dropped to L2 but we did.

Robins has taken us to Wembley twice and won a cup final and play off final. Now Robins is on the cusp of a L1 champions medal. With AV by his side we are playing some of the sexiest football I’ve seen since the ‘entertainers’ in the Premiership.

It’s been absolute turmoil for this club since relegation from the premiership. But I feel we are probably in as good a position as we have been financially for a long while. The model in place is the right one for us. Get in decent players on perm contracts where affordable, complement with talented loan players and bring in quality youth through the academy. We have to also sell our top talent to bring in the next lot. We aren’t immune from that. Every club sells. We are operating within our means, which is probably the most important thing in the current climate. Clubs are going to go bust because of the current pandemic.

We will be back in the Championship and we now have a real chance to get things right. Increased TV revenues will boost the coffers but again we need to spend wisely to be able to compete and operate within our means. Critical to success next season is undoubtedly a return to the Ricoh. There would be a massive uptake of season tickets. A key revenue generator. I hope CCFC and Wasps can sort something out for us fans. Long term solutions need to be sorted, whatever that is.

Success next season in the Championship would be a return to Ricoh, survival and building a stronger financial footing.

We are finally enjoying the football side of things at our great club, but long term home is always the ‘elephant’ in the room.

PUSB
We need to be playing back at the ricoh. We need new owners. And most importantly we need the people of this city to actually support their local team instead of being glued to sky sports.

Magwitch

I believe Robins has already been busy in the new recruit business he’s a cute cookie in that department. Last season for example we just missed out on the play-offs but still had a good group of players for a decent push this season. We had 9 new and different players from last season playing fairly regularly and one long term injury. We have good players don’t care what anyone says and play a good system but you always need better players, there’s going to be lots of good provern players looking for clubs soon and what could be a lucrative loan market, we’ll be fine.
For me though I’d like a better centre half, centre midfield and centre forward and have to agree with Huckerby sorting the Ricoh situation out in time for when supporters are allowed to attend is just as important and crucial.

Last edited:

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

IF we’re back at the Ricoh, I think if we can get off to a good start, we’ll have a catalyst for the return of fans. Good start and I think we’ll be averaging around 25k.

The coventrian

IF we’re back at the Ricoh, I think if we can get off to a good start, we’ll have a catalyst for the return of fans. Good start and I think we’ll be averaging around 25k.
Do you think robins can cut it in the championship? He kind of strikes me as a league 1 at best manager. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Skybluefaz

We need to be playing back at the ricoh. We need new owners. And most importantly we need the people of this city to actually support their local team instead of being glued to sky sports.
giphy.gif

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Do you think robins can cut it in the championship? He kind of strikes me as a league 1 at best manager. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Time will tell. His record doesn’t read well but hopefully he’s learned lessons and some managers just click at certain clubs - look at Eddie Howe.

I think the problem most managers get is attitude of players change at higher levels, the bigger the ability the bigger the ego. Man management comes in to play more than ever.

look at Roy Keane. Was able to command respect of Sunderland in the championship, when you sign the likes of diouf - that goes out the window and you get found out

Magwitch

He will be okay, but let’s not forget Ady Viveash we have certainly improved since he became his number two, they seem to be a good pairing.

Grendel

That should wake Ring of Steel up

no_loyalty

CM - like to think we’d sign Walsh but doubt Bristol will let him go cheap. We need a replacement to play alongside Allen.

O’Hare

Spot on.

cc84cov

O’Hare

Yep agree with this Mason isn’t even close to that level for me far too weak,I think Godden with service or a good Partner could do the job,Would love us to sign O’Hare & Walsh but if we fail to sign Walsh we will need 2 midfielders at least with Allen as I don’t feel Kelly will be playing every week at that level.

no_loyalty

Lee Cattermole is available on a free, seems to have been around for ages but he is still only 32.

speedie87

I’d worry about hyam lack of pace, but I was worried about that in league 2 and league 1 and he’s made up for it!

I’d also worry about scoring goals
and replacing Walsh.

Gosb

Last summer: 11
One before: 13

Not including loans and including U23s like Walters.

Edit: maybe I can’t count

Another edit: just checked transfer market and get 11: Marosi, Wilson, Rose, McFadz, Pask, Dabo, Allen, Young, Kastaneer, Jobello, Godden

Who am I missing?
Bartlett and Newton. Strictly speaking Rose was signed in the 2019 transfer window.

Liquid Gold

Whatever happens I trust the Badlan, Robins, Vivesh and the rest have been working on players for a long time and are ready to pull the trigger on any targets should we get the promotion.

Also let's not forget we have Kastaneer to come back in....

Users who are viewing this thread