Your Old Family Home (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Last week I spent a couple of days doing some gardening for a customer on Woodway Lane. Nothing unusual in that but it was just 2 doors away from my families old house, a home my parents lived in for forty plus years. It had changed a fair bit but looking at it again properly for the first time for years, it brought back memories of a great childhood etc. I told my sister about it and she said she'd love to go in our old house again, but I was content just looking outside.
Has anybody on the site ever gone back to their childhood home ?
How did you feel etc ?

clint van damme

Last week I spent a couple of days doing some gardening for a customer on Woodway Lane. Nothing unusual in that but it was just 2 doors away from my families old house, a home my parents lived in for forty plus years. It had changed a fair bit but looking at it again properly for the first time for years, it brought back memories of a great childhood etc. I told my sister about it and she said she'd love to go in our old house again, but I was content just looking outside.
How did you feel etc ?

I own the house I grew up in though I live in the home me and the wife have raised our family in.
Will probably downsize to something of a similar size to the home I grew up in in a few years but it will need to be somewhere else.
Though of seeing out my days in that house frightens me. It doesn't hold bad memories, just it would feel like I'd stood still all my life.

bringbackrattles

I own the house I grew up in though I live in the home me and the wife have raised our family in.
Will probably downsize to something of a similar size to the home I grew up in in a few years but it will need to be somewhere else.
Though of seeing out my days in that house frightens me. It doesn't hold bad memories, just it would feel like I'd stood still all my life.
I was brought up in Walsgrave and have only great memories of the place. I live in Bell Green these days but I could leave this area tomorrow and it would mean nothing to me, but Walsgrave will always be a place I have fond memories of. Then again it used to be a village until it was built on and extended !

clint van damme

I was brought up in Walsgrave and have only great memories of the place. I live in Bell Green these days but I could leave this area tomorrow and it would mean nothing to me, but Walsgrave will always be a place I have fond memories of. Then again it used to be a village until it was built on and extended !

didn't know about Walsgrave being a village. You can learn a lot on this forum!

olderskyblue

How did you feel etc ?

Did you know Paul Davies bbr? He's our age, lived on Woodway lane about 100-150m from the Acorn. (if my memory is working properly...)

Otis

How did you feel etc ?
Whereabouts on Woodway Lane were you, BRR?

Top end, or bottom end?

I used to live on Ringwood Highway.

Otis

Oh and my dad left his first family home at the age of 11 and has never been back, or ever wanted to go back.

It was just a small village, so a bit puzzled as why he never had the inclination to return.

Might have been around the time the Upper Brenton panty thief curtailed his activities, mind.

bringbackrattles

Oh and my dad left his first family home at the age of 11 and has never been back, or ever wanted to go back.

It was just a small village, so a bit puzzled as why he never had the inclination to return.

Might have been around the time the Upper Brenton panty thief curtailed his activities, mind.
Our house was opposite the allotments and Ismay farmers fields. A few yards up from the Craven Arms pub.

wingy

Funny enough we in our Family all had a Whats app chat on this very subject a couple of Nights back
All induced by one sister sending me a link to Joan Armatradings Love and affection (excellent track)
Which expanded to a dissection of our childhood and teen years .
We all concluded we were privileged to have grown up where we did.
I'd move back there tomorrow.

Nick

Administrator
My mates brother bought my nans old house, he did it all up and made it nice and I went in and it was weird to see it. could picture where everything was although walls had been knocked through etc and it had all been converted.

Johnnythespider

Funny enough we in our Family all had a Whats app chat on this very subject a couple of Nights back
All induced by one sister sending me a link to Joan Armatradings Love and affection (excellent track)
Which expanded to a dissection of our childhood and teen years .
We all concluded we were privileged to have grown up where we did.
I'd move back there tomorrow.
I concur, although I'm quite happy where i am, you should look into that canal boat idea.

dutchman

didn't know about Walsgrave being a village. You can learn a lot on this forum!
Walsgrave Village circa 1930
woodway-lane-walsgrave-c1930-w400.jpg

bringbackrattles

My mates brother bought my nans old house, he did it all up and made it nice and I went in and it was weird to see it. could picture where everything was although walls had been knocked through etc and it had all been converted.
Looking at my dads old garden,which was overgrown, whereas my dad always had a good garden, to my amazement there at the bottom was his old shed !
I was a kid again as he kept his tools in there, and I'd play around with them which pissed him off !

rob9872

Nan & grandad lived on Cressage Road when I was a kid. Not really Walsgrave but we always called it that. Don' really know the true boundaries.

Gazolba

I grew up in Courthouse Green, not far from Bell Green, went to Courthouse Green Primary school.
When I was a kid the city was littered with what we called 'bomb sites', which were areas where bombs had destroyed whatever had been there.
We used to play in the bomb craters, some of which were huge, you could imagine the power of the bombs that made them.
The main target in our area was the Morris Engines factory.
One day we discovered an unexploded anti-aircraft shell in our garden. Can't remember what we did with it.

I remember when Walsgrave was mostly farms and when Manor Farm Estate was actually a farm.
The last time I went back, there was still a farm down Henley Mill Lane, although much smaller than it used to be. Is it still there?

Last edited:

olderskyblue

Sorry that name doesn't resonate with me, but I've never been good with names. But if he drank in the Acorn I bet he knows me !

He did. Played for Potters green football team too.

I used to go over the acorn to play darts with him and the lads there.

Otis

Did you know Paul Davies bbr? He's our age, lived on Woodway lane about 100-150m from the Acorn. (if my memory is working properly...)
Can't remember a Paul Davies.

I remember a Stephen Whiting, used to live on Woodway Lane nearer the Acorn end.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My mum lived in Clifford Bridge Rd for a couple of years (67-69) and I remember when CB Rd joined Hinkley Rd. It was just a country lane type of road at that junction. I also remember the double hump back bridges along CB Rd, over the River Sowe, just about where the houses finish now and at the island where you can go along to join the A46 by-pass. They always caught a few motorists out! Then they built Walsgrave Hospital and ruined the scenery!
Capture.JPG

Houchens Head

I'd guess at late 80's Wingy. He was always into the property market.

Houchens Head

Nah! He had nowt to do with the forces. He just bought and sold property. He bought my mums old place in Leicester Causeway and turned it into flats. He also bought a fabulous thatched roof cottage in Coton End, Warwick and sold it for a small fortune a couple of years later.

Covstu

My Granda lived on Sewall Highway and we lived in Craners Rd, Hillfields and we swapped when I was about 6 (I think) and my mum still lives in the house now so visit every week! Its too big for her now as she lives on her own but would be a sad day when she moves out as there are some fond memories there.

bringbackrattles

That house your brother bought was Mr and Mrs Smiths shop. It was a little gold mine in its day, sold everything. I used to clean Norah Smiths windows for years Houch, she lived at the back of the shop.
I went to her funeral a few years ago,she died aged 92. I thought a lot of her as did my sister, she knew us as kids.

bringbackrattles

My Granda lived on Sewall Highway and we lived in Craners Rd, Hillfields and we swapped when I was about 6 (I think) and my mum still lives in the house now so visit every week! Its too big for her now as she lives on her own but would be a sad day when she moves out as there are some fond memories there.
Craner's Road is by the Freemasons pub,or should I say was as it's a mosque or something now ?

Houchens Head

I've just remembered. My grandmother (born 1899) lived in Fowler Road, Coundon during the 1960's. She passed away in 1968. Anyways, my daughter, who never knew my Nan, now lives right next door to my Nan's old house.

aloisiwouldhavescored

We have lived in our house for 30 years now. A couple of years ago we had a letter sent in the post marked to "the owners" When we opened it, it was from a guy who lived in our house as a child, in the 1930's when it was first built. To cut a long story short he ended up coming round to the house with his 2 sisters and we had a lovely long chat talking about the house and what it was like when they lived here. They had brought some really old photos with them, of the garden and the street as it was then, also the original bill of sale when they sold the house. We still keep in touch with them.

Users who are viewing this thread