Wolves FA cup Quarter Final (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Is Collins that much better than Wilson?

According to the members here, they're like chalk and cheese.

Personally, both have their faults. But one gets all the plaudits and the other gets all the abuse.

Alkhen

Wilson was undeniably solid last season but he seemed to have a few jitters this early in the season and made a few costly errors. No reason he should be written off.

I'm yet to see Collins make a clear error leading to a goal. All the stats have him as a good keeper and I rate him personally. I just think his style freaks some people out a bit. Loves a punch or push out which I think worries some, even though it's now a pretty standard technique.

There is a lot of talk about upgrading keepers every window. All good clubs should be constantly looking to improve but to this point nobody has suggested anyone sensible who would do better. All GKs at this level have flaws. Constantly proven by keepers that have been lauded like the Rotherham one (fine keeper) or the Sunderland one having mares against us. It's just the nature of the championship.

We should be pretty pleased that we have two (possibly 3) Champ quality keepers.

Hincha

If we go 2 up top, then we should go with a midfield 3 of Sheaf, Eccles and Torp

If we go the box, Torp should play lightly higher with O'Hare, with Eccles and Sheaf behind them.

We can't play Palmer against wolves, we'll be far too open in midfield.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

As good as Torp can be technically he was in the wrong defensive position a lot against Watford. Another body would minimise the space he needs to cover and allow him to push forward also.

2 in midfield has only worked with Hamer as he basically covered 2 positions.

I would also leave Wright/Simms up front. They need to continue to develop their partnership.

Team would be:

Wilson
MvE Thomas Lati Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Sheaf Torp
Simms Wright

Happy_Martian

Wilson was undeniably solid last season but he seemed to have a few jitters this early in the season and made a few costly errors. No reason he should be written off.

I'm yet to see Collins make a clear error leading to a goal. All the stats have him as a good keeper and I rate him personally. I just think his style freaks some people out a bit. Loves a punch or push out which I think worries some, even though it's now a pretty standard technique.

And this is the issue I have with members on this forum. Context is very important.

At the start of the season, noone came out of any games with praise. But the outfielders have been given a second chance by the fans and while some still slag individual players off, most have seen the players getting better as they work with each other. Wilson was dropped after Preston (A) and whenever he's been reintroduced into the side, it's been with a makeshift defence for cup games. How does that instill confidence in any player ? When he's come in to cover Collins, he's kept clean sheets and fans have immediately jumped to excuses ("He had nothing to do" etc). It's apparent Wilson can do nothing right, according to some fans.

Whereas Collins has played with an established group, some of which he played with last season as well. But that still hasn't stopped us conceding goals. We've had barely a handful of clean sheets since Christmas yet those facts are ignored by fans.

Wilson would have been panned for the Watford goal but where's the same reaction for Collins ?

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

No, but Half Man Half Biscuit are playing there, Friday 12th April.
If you're not already familiar then this is the perfect opportunity to familiarise yourself.
As far as recommendations go - How about your own living room with some supermarket purchased alcohol and food?
It will be the cheapest live match experience of the season.
I hear the floors really sticky and there’s loads of kids running about! 😜

I’ve got my tickets for HMHB. Cannot wait.

Tommo1993

Several staff have mentioned about the lack of strikers.

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpeg
    IMG_1362.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75

play_in_skyblue_stripes

No, but Half Man Half Biscuit are playing there, Friday 12th April.
If you're not already familiar then this is the perfect opportunity to familiarise yourself.
As far as recommendations go - How about your own living room with some supermarket purchased alcohol and food?
It will be the cheapest live match experience of the season.
Top band.
I saw them last year night before Birmingham away game.

pusbccfc

According to the members here, they're like chalk and cheese.

Personally, both have their faults. But one gets all the plaudits and the other gets all the abuse.

Wilson would have had death threats if he conceded a goal like Watford's.

Ccfcisparks

Given Wolves have no fit strikers, we dont really need 3 CBs. But we wont change it
They ended last game with a youth striker up front, Sarabia and one of their CM's on the wing. If we go with a back 5 its ridiculous. The battle will be in the midfield and on their left side.

San Francisco

Think Wolves will create a lot of chances and generally dominate the match but will struggle to put any away. Sarabia will possibly be their biggest threat going forward but he hasn't played a full 90 since December.

Talk of us getting smashed 3/4-0 is nonsense unless we set up poorly.

Ccfcisparks

Think Wolves will create a lot of chances and generally dominate the match but will struggle to put any away. Sarabia will possibly be their biggest threat going forward but he hasn't played a full 90 since December.

Their biggest threat is Ait Nouri by far, Wolves supporting friends expect him to start LW.

fernandopartridge

They don't create a great deal of chances, 14th highest in the PL from open play. Better from set pieces.

pusbccfc

Are you saying he would have saved that?

Who knows but Collins positioning is poor. Can't work out if he's standing front post assuming he can catch the ball.

It's a very good header though. Once again proves how dangerous long throws can be. It's a real shame we don't use our two players capable of them.

Users who are viewing this thread