Will the next two games (Luton and Birmingham away) go ahead? (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

Just saw the news that Arsenals midweek game has been canceled. Not as a mark of respect, but because of policing demands.

The article I was reading in the Guardian suggested that police forces around the country will be sending officers to London to support arrangements for this/ next week. The assertion is that the larger forces elsewhere around the country will be depleted as a result. They suggested Manchester games may be affected.

Really hope they go ahead as the fixture congestion is already looking a killer!

Last edited:

JAM See

Well, after Derby last season, plod have a ready made excuse.

Don't think we will be postponed, but they can quote that twat in the grey tracksuit as a reason.

David O'Day

luton game should go ahead

blues not to sure as wmp like to boost their ot by having far too many dibble there than needed

JAM See

Just saw the news that Arsenals midweek game has been canceled. Not as a mark of respect, but because of policing demands.

The article I was reading in the Gaurdian suggested that police forces around the country will be sending officers to London to support arrangements for this/ next week. The assertion is that the larger forces elsewhere around the country will be depleted as a result. They suggested Manchester games may be affected.

Really hope they go ahead as the fixture congestion is already looking a killer!

One extra internet point for that beauty.

Only just noticed it.

D

Deleted member 2477

One extra internet point for that beauty.

Only just noticed it.
Your first mistake is reading the Guardian.
wmp are supplying officers the London on mutual aid and cancelling rest days. They will be depleted but perhaps if our idiots behaved then it wouldnt be an issue. Dont blame the police, blame our pricks

slowpoke

Think Luton will but I’d put Blues at 50/50 down to decision from West Midlands police.
I doubt any London fixture will.
Just heard Brentford v Arsenal is going ahead but with an earlier kick-off

Last edited:

JAM See

Your first mistake is reading the Guardian.
wmp are supplying officers the London on mutual aid and cancelling rest days. They will be depleted but perhaps if our idiots behaved then it wouldnt be an issue. Dont blame the police, blame our pricks
Where should I get my news?

I source the BBC for relative objectivity.

The Gruaniad because it ally's with my general worldview.

The Daily Mail so I can see what the enemy is thinking.

The Sun for Dear Deidre.

SBT for LOL's

Where else would you suggest?

clint van damme

The Sun for Dear Deidre.

SBT for LOL's

You know he's going to recomend Breibart!

napolimp

The Sun for Dear Deidre.

SBT for LOL's

What they meant to say is "your first mistake is reading". marcusp doesn't, never learnt.

JAM See

What they meant to say is "your first mistake is reading". marcusp doesn't, never learnt.
Speaking of reading, probably the wrong thread and I know we have a music thread and a TV thread on here, but do we have a books thread?

I may start one if we haven't.

Shuggie Bain. Absolute class!

Skyblueweeman

Any indication as to which way it might go? You'd think we'd get a definitive answer by the end of today.

Not from me I'm afraid as I've not spoken to anyone at the club other than via email about Luton tomorrow.

A post below though seems positive that it'll be on.

Skyblueweeman

Just spoke to Sutton who are at home on Saturday to Hartlepool and I asked if their fixture was at danger of being called off as they're Met Police and they normally only have 18 police for a game so they're fine. He said that Chelsea/Liverpool on Sunday was due to have 650 police and being on Sunday, that's a large number so that's why that one's off.

He said that he thinks an average championship game would have 200-300 police - I guess with a local rivalry, it'll be the top end of that so I guess WMP must be confident that they can allocate that resource. Had the game been on Sunday, might have been a different matter.

Grendel

Just spoke to Sutton who are at home on Saturday to Hartlepool and I asked if their fixture was at danger of being called off as they're Met Police and they normally only have 18 police for a game so they're fine. He said that Chelsea/Liverpool on Sunday was due to have 650 police and being on Sunday, that's a large number so that's why that one's off.

He said that he thinks an average championship game would have 200-300 police - I guess with a local rivalry, it'll be the top end of that so I guess WMP must be confident that they can allocate that resource. Had the game been on Sunday, might have been a different matter.

Brentford Arsenal goes ahead doesn’t it?

South West Sky Blue

I’ve previously worked in security at Championship and League One level games. There was never anywhere near those figures. I’m surprised by the Sutton figures.
About a third would have 3-4 police officers. The higher profile games (Saturday with Leeds or Milwall ….etc) would generally get around 100. You could add another 50 if they knew in advance people were coming looking for trouble rather than just anticipating it.
I’d be guessing that our B’ham game would have just over 100.
Problem is that only riot trained police can work these games and they are the ones that are being sought for the security operation in London.

Skyblueweeman

I’ve previously worked in security at Championship and League One level games. There was never anywhere near those figures. I’m surprised by the Sutton figures.
About a third would have 3-4 police officers. The higher profile games (Saturday with Leeds or Milwall ….etc) would generally get around 100. You could add another 50 if they knew in advance people were coming looking for trouble rather than just anticipating it.
I’d be guessing that our B’ham game would have just over 100.
Problem is that only riot trained police can work these games and they are the ones that are being sought for the security operation in London.

Ah ok. Well it was the Vice-Chairman of Sutton who I was speaking to and he's the one dealing with the police for their games and he heard the 650 figure for the Chelsea/Liverpool game from the Met Police.

I thought the 200-300 was a bit high but he's got more experience of dealing with it for his clubs and from speaking to others.

Users who are viewing this thread