Who's next off the production line? (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

As disappointing as it is, as a homeless third division club this is our reality. Develop players, sell them and use the funds to (hopefully) make wider improvements to the squad.

Who is next to come through? Is Stevenson any good?

ClarkeZ

I'm keen to let Bassala Sambou have a couple of runs, maybe off the bench to aid Armstrong.
He seems to have been scoring for fun in the U21s, he has pace, he can finish, and with a good team of Maddison (yes), Cole etc to feed him it could just work for him. People have been saying how desperate we are for a pacey striker. It might not work, but can't see why its not worth a try.

Moff

I am sure theres some foetus out there that Man City, Spurs and Arsenal are keeping there tabs on, signature forms on the ready as the mother gives birth.

Otis

Stevenson and Harries have both been talked up for sure.

Stevenson looks especially like he could be the next one to break through.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

No one as good as Maddison.

I'm sure there are plenty of decent lads coming through.

jimmyhillsfanclub

What about the twins.......the lads who watch the youth & development squads were always raving about them....hopefully one or both of them will be ready to make an impact next campaign.

rupert_bear

We have a few prospects who will get their chance. We attract youngsters because they get decent chance to get first team opportunities and move on up like your Maddison's, Wilsons, Christies and Turners.

Jackoskyblue

"Develop players, sell them and use the funds to (hopefully) make wider improvements to the squad"

Now I don't think anyone would have an issue with doing that, in fact we could be successful doing that, just look at Southampton.

The issue is that we develop players (do that very well) but we sell them to cheaply and to soon, we then don't use the funds to invest in the squad.

If we are to become a club in that model why can't we add in buy out clauses in our young players contracts. Maddison has been touted for a few years now so why when we offered him a pro contract did we not stick in a £10mil buy out clause ?

Winny the Bish

Why do we HAVE to follow this style? For once, I'd like to see us follow Peterborough's method:
- Sign promising player from lower leagues
- Develops well and attracts interest from higher-league club
- Sold for profit
- Money used to sign two more promising lower league players

fernandopartridge

Why do we HAVE to follow this style? For once, I'd like to see us follow Peterborough's method:
- Sign promising player from lower leagues
- Develops well and attracts interest from higher-league club
- Sold for profit
- Money used to sign two more promising lower league players

But ultimately they're not better off than us

SlowerThanPlatt

Stevenson is very good but not too sure about his status at the moment. He hasn't played for the U21s for months so possibly injured but not heard anything to say he is

shmmeee

I'd like to see Sambou given some minutes off the bench, and George Thomas. I think Stevenson and Harries may well break through next season, and maybe Kelly-Evans (one or both) as they've been near the bench a fair bit.

SkyBlue_Bear83

As disappointing as it is, as a homeless third division club this is our reality. Develop players, sell them and use the funds to (hopefully) make wider improvements to the squad.

Who is next to come through? Is Stevenson any good?

I think we can all accept Maddison would leave at some point, just didnt expect it would be this early. We barely even got any use or benefit out of the player after 10 years of development from academy level.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If he'd had a great 12 months and this deal happened next January (with the loan back of course, so we'd have him for another 18 months) I don't think anyone would begrudge him the move and we'd all feel as if things were done the right way

We'd have had 2 to 2 1/2 years service out of the player, hopefully with some success in that time and Maddison would be a better, still only be 20 and have a great opportunity to progress his career.

For all his talent he's achieved nothing and his contribution to CCFC has been minimal in his career so far.

chiefdave

If he'd had a great 12 months and this deal happened next January (with the loan back of course, so we'd have him for another 18 months) I don't think anyone would begrudge him the move and we'd all feel as if things were done the right way

To be honest I don't think many would have begrudged him if he'd gone to Liverpool, Spurs or even somewhere like Southampton and it looked like we'd done at least OK out of the deal.

Its more that he's gone, with the greatest respect, to a club like Norwich in a deal which seemed to get rushed through at the last minute.

Even the Norwich press were last night reporting they'd left it very late to make an approach. When you leave it that late it would have been easy for us to stick it out to the deadline and say come back in the summer. I can't imagine you'd get any less for him then.

Assuming what TM has said is true and Maddison didn't ask for the move it wouldn't have caused any issues to keep him here until the summer.

Add in the fact that we appear, from the vast majority of reports, to have sold him 'on the cheap' and its not hard to see why the reaction has been so negative.

We've sold him to a team we could be in the same division as next year at a price clubs like Gillingham were rejecting!

SlowerThanPlatt

Not too sure about Cian Harries. On the Cheltenham forum they said he lacked strengh for a centre back and position wise he was dodgy. He's back now after they didn't extend his loan

stupot07

Not too sure about Cian Harries. On the Cheltenham forum they said he lacked strengh for a centre back and position wise he was dodgy. He's back now after they didn't extend his loan

The lad is 18 and played just 10 mins. Not sure how they could come to such conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

To be honest I don't think many would have begrudged him if he'd gone to Liverpool, Spurs or even somewhere like Southampton and it looked like we'd done at least OK out of the deal.

Its more that he's gone, with the greatest respect, to a club like Norwich in a deal which seemed to get rushed through at the last minute.

Even the Norwich press were last night reporting they'd left it very late to make an approach. When you leave it that late it would have been easy for us to stick it out to the deadline and say come back in the summer. I can't imagine you'd get any less for him then.

Assuming what TM has said is true and Maddison didn't ask for the move it wouldn't have caused any issues to keep him here until the summer.

Add in the fact that we appear, from the vast majority of reports, to have sold him 'on the cheap' and its not hard to see why the reaction has been so negative.

We've sold him to a team we could be in the same division as next year at a price clubs like Gillingham were rejecting!
I agree with the last minute thing, makes us look like amateurs who were desperate to sell him which is probably how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread