When is offside not offside ? (not more Semi-final debate) (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Just perusing the FA Rules site for some semi-final debate and came across this.

Never knew it !!

1713778507570.png

Knew about corners and throwins. But not offside from a goalkick ?

Surprised more lower league teams don't park a striker between the penalty area and the opposition defence. Get the keeper to hoof it up the pitch over the oppo defenders and the striker has an immediate 1v1 with the oppo keeper.

djr8369

Am I going crazy or is this wrong? Offsides are given from goal kicks all the time, aren’t they?

shmmeee

I remember getting upset watching offside not given against a striker from GKs and looking this up and being very surprised.

Are there many keepers who can kick the ball to the edge of the oppo area from a GK tho?

stupot07

No you can't be offside from a goal kick, that's the the rules for years, possible in the entire duration of the modern game. Strikers always stand behind the centre backs but upon the kick they always drop back, and then end up being goalside by the time the ball gets there.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Happy_Martian

No you can't be offside from a goal kick, that's the the rules for years, possible in the entire duration of the modern game. Strikers always stand behind the centre backs but upon the kick they always drop back, and then end up being goalside by the time the ball gets there.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Strikers stand behind defenders to pull them closer to their goal and stretch the field. Once the ball is struck, they move ahead of the defenders as they would then be deemed to be offside.

Users who are viewing this thread