What was you're worst ever awayday? (1 Viewer)

wingy

Mine was a trip to Liverpool , i think in the late senenties to early eighties,cup game ,2-2 draw and tommy hutch had a rare header dissallowed,it was anightmare but would'nt have missed it for anything.About twelve of us went up in a hired van starrting off about lunchtime in the Smithfield.And so we set off picking up a couple of lads @ the Prince william on foleshill rd.Parking up acouple of lads noticed an old morris 1100 with the backseat adorned with 3 twenty four trays of lager and bitter,needless to saythe window went in and they were swiftly in the back of the van.So off we set,scarves draped off the wing mirrors,we had'nt even made Corley services and the old bill had pulled us ,we quickly tried to drink the evidence ,impossible of course so we covered it ,sat on it etc.there we wereon the hardshoulder,the driver was taken away for a breathalyser,we waited what seemed forever ,probably a couple of hours at corley.finally he returned and off we went ,i guess we got there with an 1-1.5 hours spare,so we had a couple in the stanley pub ,great everton fans in there.During the game my brother got ejected ,while outside he got mugged coat taken off his back ,money gone etc,they let him back in about ten mins from the end,what a mess, broken jaw.kicked off massive after the match horses charging etc,we managed to find the stanley eventually,had a couple and set off .by which time a peasouper had come down ,we were at Preston on the M6 before we realised we were going the wrong way.so turned round ,it was impossible to see where we were going,we had apissed up driver a guy called John Loggs ithink ,wonder where he is now.staring out of the back window ,we tried to direct him as we could see where the hardshoulder line was ,he could'nt see athing out of the front ,finally we stopped at some services somewhere south of Liverpool,found a fiver on the way in ,bonus .there were i think some Everton fans on their way home i think ,plenty of city fans and it kicked off again. so we tried to get some sleep,and set off i guess it was between five and six, finally he dropped everyone off ,and otook me and my bro back out past TILE HILL ,we lived near Rough close, poor lad ran out of petrol so was left with a bit of a walk,that was about 8-30 on the wednesday morning ,sorry for the length of this post bit i did'nt want to leave anything out.P.S they beat us in the replay 4-0:facepalm:

smileycov

Facebook User
Ha-Ha good read, John loggs drives the city coach now LOL !!:whistle:

I remember going to Luton New Years day, in the 80's me and a lad called paul precious........2 pints at 11 in the morning and felt pissed up again from the night before. Got chased up the street by a load of luton! stood my ground (well couldn't really run actually too pissed). we won 2-1 though.

ccfcway

Oldham, Were late for the game due to traffic. We were there for 3 minutes and Wegerle got sent off for swearing, and we lost to 2 Darren Beckford goals !

or, Newcastle games where we lost4-0, making that superstar Alex Mathie look like Lionel Messi. Cov fans werent allowed in, so we had to sit in Newcastle end !

Losing to Crewe 1-3, where the only highligh was a goal for Onandi "the drugs dont work" Lowe scored.

Charlton last game of the season, fighting for our lives.

Southanpton, 2-8..

this could be a long thread...

getting smashed 4-0 away at preston (the one where the guy had a good go at hedman) and then being couped up in the back of a 106 with a sports exhaust droning on all the way home.

wingy

Charlton that was so dire ,seemed like they played like that on purpose ,John harbin the fitness coach left behind from Dowies days ,but for this final match they barred him from attending:thinking about:

pusbccfc

Charlton was dreadful but you cant complain the fans were great i think near 5000, with more in the home end.

Swansea boxing day a couple of years ago was awful, 0-0 dire atmosphere, had about 2 shots on target...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wingy: I was also at that match. Me and a load of lads from the old Morris Engines in Courthouse Green hired a coach and watched the game from the Kemlin Rd stand at Anfield. I remember well that pea-souper coming back down the M6. I think we actually got home at around 4am! 2 hours kip before I had to get up for work again! Actually, I think it was mid to late 70's, not 80's though?

covkid69

mine has to be an away trip to sunderland.
coach trip from highfield road and when we reached sunderland the police parked the coaches up near the seafront as they said it would be a bit cold driving home with no windows.
the walk was about a mile to the ground and the problem i had was that my leg was in plaster so i had to hobble on crutches....police took pity on my on the way back and took me to the coach in a police van :O)

Astute

Mine was a fantastic day out at the time as I was young and naive.

Away game at West brom in the cup. Must have been an evening game as remember it being dark and remember being p1ssed on the way to their ground. First part of the journey was changing trains at New Street. We were on the special. The Zulu's were waiting for us. Fight seemed to last for ages. Some lads ended up snatching gold chains off some of the Zulu's. Then next stop the Villa fans if I remember right were waiting for us. We had to fight our way through them. Then we came against another lot of fans. Not sure who they were. This must have been about 25 years ago :eek:. We finally got to our last stop. We had the police waiting for us. They marched us to where this field was. Told us to keep moving. Out of the darkness we got attacked by the West Brom fans. We then made it to a tunnel if I remember right. Could have been a subway though. Walked out the other side of it for more of them to be waiting. It was the 80's though :D During the game most of us didn't have a clue what the score was. The only scoreboard could not be seen from where we were and the goals were going in all over the place. Beer don't help at times like that. We either lost 3-2 or 4-3, can't remember. We then had to fight our way back home.

Had some good ones as well against teams like Chelsea and Leeds over the years. On one of them I got home from Chelsea away to see an expensive jacket I had been wearing had been slashed. Lucky escape. Been in some right dodgy situations over the years. A few of them at games where it was unexpected. Another bad one once was at Portsmouth. We never took many that day and it seemed that everyone wanted to get us.

These days you can have a good laugh in the build up to most away games. I love away days a lot more than home games, although it is a long journey sometimes after getting hammered.

speedie87

boro away in the cup a few years back.......

rubbish match still don't forgive adams for resting wise, we could have done them if he'd played.

then coach i was on broke down on m69. got home at some stupid time only to realise i had no house keys...........

pitts head

Wingy: I was also at that match. Me and a load of lads from the old Morris Engines in Courthouse Green hired a coach and watched the game from the Kemlin Rd stand at Anfield. I remember well that pea-souper coming back down the M6. I think we actually got home at around 4am! 2 hours kip before I had to get up for work again! Actually, I think it was mid to late 70's, not 80's though?

Remember that fog, didn't some lad from a minibus stop for a piss and ending up going over the thelwall viaduct.

wingy

You know i thought it was ,just in denial of my age i think:D

Astute

Many years ago. Might even have been a kid at the time. Don't remember much of it though. Was it an early 80's film?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wingy: Just done a bit of memory research on that match. It was the 4th round of the old League Cup, played on Tuesday 13th Dec 1977. Then on Tuesday 20th Dec '77 Liverpool won the replay at HR 0-2 :(

wingy

Wingy: Just done a bit of memory research on that match. It was the 4th round of the old League Cup, played on Tuesday 13th Dec 1977. Then on Tuesday 20th Dec '77 Liverpool won the replay at HR 0-2 :(

Was trying to look up the info before i wrote the OP,where do you find the stats?:D

Regis87

Millwall in late 80s / early 90s
Went down mid morning in my mates Capri ghia in the days before anyone had heard of sat navs . Got caught up in student riot in central London , saw Stamford Bridge and Buckingham Palace . Got to Millwall at 4pm and couldn't find a parking space . Bought a pair of pliers so we could pull car aerial up so we could listen to football scores on way back ! Got back to Coventry and had a great night at The Pink Parrot getting a slap off the bouncer .
Happy memories

Astute

Now you say that I think it was one of the first ever games I went to, the replay that is. Might even have been my first ever game I went to, but not sure. I do remember my first ever game was against Liverpool though and we lost.

Regis87

Astute - The Warriors were trying to get back to Coney island but getting attacked by different gangs along the way , similar to your journey thru the West Mids

wingy

Millwall in late 80s / early 90s
Went down mid morning in my mates Capri ghia in the days before anyone had heard of sat navs . Got caught up in student riot in central London , saw Stamford Bridge and Buckingham Palace . Got to Millwall at 4pm and couldn't find a parking space . Bought a pair of pliers so we could pull car aerial up so we could listen to football scores on way back ! Got back to Coventry and had a great night at The Pink Parrot getting a slap off the bouncer .
Happy memories
When will these bloody students ever stop rioting

PhilWasn'tBabb

Blackburn away 4-0
Leeds away 4-0 like a fool I'd worn a city shirt and had to wait for my dad to pick me after the game as we were living in Huddersfield at the time ..... Leeds fans are animals:eek:

Oh ... and getting the train with some Huddersfield fans to watch them play barnsley on a friday night ..... they lost 7-1 not fun!

Astute

Astute - The Warriors were trying to get back to Coney island but getting attacked by different gangs along the way , similar to your journey thru the West Mids

I am getting on a little now...too much of a good life also :D

Not sure how old you are, but if about my age the special trains will be remembered well. There must be some on here that also did that journey. They will be able to give more details. And to think that a lot of us thought it was fun them days :(

skyblusam

Newcastle away in the fa cup lost 2-0 think andy cole scored wegerlie got injured or sent off stood on my own at the back of the old gallowgate end as there was a big fence splitting it in two. My mates on one side me the other a very cold wind blowing down the back of my neck.And to top it off had the worst coach of the lot and there was a good few of them. Very long journey home feeling glum on a banger of a coach. anyone else there from here as there were thousends of us hence two sides of the fence.Think there was a lot of balloons aswell.

rob9872

Result isn't always important and had some great away days win or lose on the beer, but has to be Northampton in the cup. The old ground roped off from the cricket pitch. No cover, never known rain like it and we did get beat :(

Wallace

Two games.

Away to WBA and we lost 7-1. When we scored we were jumping up and down (terraces then) and when I landed there wasn't any ground underneath me and I ended up 4 sreps down. I broke my ankle in that scenerio.
Home to Wolves, Evening game. Me anda few friends outside Fishy mores and got chased by about 100 wolves fans. A few of their older fans caught us and took our scarves. (little shits bet they are dead now) and to make things worse, during the game there were fires inthe away end, and guess what they were burning?? MY BLOODY SCARF

Sub

charlton when we lost and were almost relegated one of the worst games i have been to, was only made better listening to the incester fans on the coach on the way back:D:D

But how times have changed now :(

Covstu

Villa when we went down sucked, Sheff Utd in the FA cup when we lost on pens, Blackpool in the league cup when we lost and it pissed it down!!!

Macca

Result isn't always important and had some great away days win or lose on the beer, but has to be Northampton in the cup. The old ground roped off from the cricket pitch. No cover, never known rain like it and we did get beat :(

without doubt worse experience home or away ever!

Astute

Two games.

Away to WBA and we lost 7-1. When we scored we were jumping up and down (terraces then) and when I landed there wasn't any ground underneath me and I ended up 4 sreps down. I broke my ankle in that scenerio.
Home to Wolves, Evening game. Me anda few friends outside Fishy mores and got chased by about 100 wolves fans. A few of their older fans caught us and took our scarves. (little shits bet they are dead now) and to make things worse, during the game there were fires inthe away end, and guess what they were burning?? MY BLOODY SCARF

The best part of the terraces was seeing where you ended up after a goal. You tried not to end up at the bottom of the pile or get injured :D

stevo_ccfc

My first ever away match was at old Trafford, we had the best possible start with breen scoring an own goal within the first 4 minutes he then let Cole through for their second on 5 minutes... We finished the match 3-1 with huckerby scoring near the end for us.

Then least season we went to Barnsley away because we always win at Barnsley... Needless to say hoofroyd saw to it that we lost, dire football, mcpake off with a broken back, and they ran out of pies!! It was my lowest point as a usually optimistic city fan, the football was so poor that day I was furious with aidy and considered not bothering going to matches till he was gone. Needless to say I still went because the optimism kicked back in....

ccfcdan

Villa park when we got relegated, I was still at school and could'nt believe my eyes when in the coach park afterwards grown men were sat on the floor crying, Thats when i realised just home much this club means to its fans.

Since then Watford away, we were something like 4-0 down at half time. Scunthorpe the game when Jack Cork scored direct from a corner awful ground crap atmosphere. Then there was boxing day a couple of years ago against Swansea long drive dire 0-0.

kg82

My first ever away match was at old Trafford, we had the best possible start with breen scoring an own goal within the first 4 minutes he then let Cole through for their second on 5 minutes... We finished the match 3-1 with huckerby scoring near the end for us.

Then least season we went to Barnsley away because we always win at Barnsley... Needless to say hoofroyd saw to it that we lost, dire football, mcpake off with a broken back, and they ran out of pies!! It was my lowest point as a usually optimistic city fan, the football was so poor that day I was furious with aidy and considered not bothering going to matches till he was gone. Needless to say I still went because the optimism kicked back in....

You wouldn't have had to have waited long anyway!!

Agreed with a few on here, the Charlton match on the last day of the season a few years ago. Shame with that one as it was a great atmosphere in the pub before and at the ground. Cardiff last year wasn't great either. Freezing day and the team just didn't turn up. Then Bellamy scored :facepalm:

JB_CV10

Watford away 5-2 loss in one of our first seasons down, we had Steve Walsh at the back, I think he had been playing for Tamworth before that, and people say we lack quality now! Also, 4-0 away at Burnley, hammered down with rain, we got absolutely tonked, Burnley is like the place that time forgot, even the motorway to it was empty. Charlton away was massively dissapointing, even worse that we got the train from Warwick Parkway and it was rammed full of WBA fans celebrating promotion. I could go on for ages but it will just get too depressing :)

Users who are viewing this thread