What do we know? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blues

What we know:

*Mark Robins generally performed well as Coventry's manager.

*He was five months into a three-year contract.

*He knew the financial constraints on City when he moved here.

*Robins is from Lancashire and has managed two Yorkshire clubs before.

*Robins resigned as Barnsley boss after a disagreement over the club's budget.

*City have been approached by more than one club about Robins' services recently and they have "reluctantly" allowed him to talk to Huddersfield.

*Huddersfield are in a division above City this season.

*It is reported that there is a "six-figure" buy out clause in his contract.

*Last Tuesday, Coventry saw their hopes of progressing to the the JPT final all but dashed in the last week.

*Robins spoke to the board and owner about future plans for CCFC last Wednesday and, when the Cov Telegraph asked him the following day about speculation linking him with Town and Blackpool, he said he was "more than happy as manager of Coventry City".

*Defeat to Yeovil this weekend dented play-off hopes.

*Robins met "the owner" (does Fisher mean Joy?) yesterday but, according to Fisher, Robins still wanted to talk to Huddersfield after "we had done everything we could".

*City continues to lose money and have not settled the rent dispute with ACL.

*The club signed a loan player yesterday.

Have I missed anything? What does the evidence suggest?

You might be able to think of more, but so far I can see several potential scenarios:

1. Robins wants to return to the north for personal or family reasons.

2. Robins thinks he will be offered more money to manage Huddersfield.

3. Robins thinks his career aspirations would be best served by being Huddersfield boss rather than City boss.

4. Defeat against Yeovil (maybe combined with heavy first-leg defeat against Crewe) made Robins think the club could not realistically achieve promotion or trophy success this season and he has lost belief in the project.

5. Defeat against Yeovil (maybe combined with the Crewe defeat) made SISU think the club could not realistically achieve promotion this season and made them say or do something over the weekend which caused Robins to lose belief in their previous assurances.

6 (which may or may not be an extension of 5). Robins got wind of something that made him fear for his long-term future or ability to manage the club (such as a transfer embargo, administration, liquidation proceedings) and decided it would be a good time to investigate other employment opportunities.

7. Sisu rejected the Huddersfield offer for PR reasons, but were actually happy to take the money and said something to Robins that suggested he would be better off elsewhere.

Now be honest with yourself, if you were in one of those scenarios in your workplace what would you do?

For that reason, if Robins were to go for reasons 2 or 3 I would be disappointed to lose a good manager and, particularly in the case of scenario 3, think he could be misguided, but I might understand why he felt a move was best for him (even though it is not good news for us).

If he were to leave for reasons 1, 5, 6, or 7, I could understand Robins deciding to go and I would not hate him for it.

If he was to go for reason 4 I would be bitterly disappointed in him.

Of course, life is never simple and it might be a combination of these factors or something else entirely that is affecting what is happening. I'm just trying to make sense of what is happening from the scant information currently available. Maybe we'll know more soon...

Otis

Very sensible post.

We simply do not know what has gone on, so all this Robins is a c*** and wishing him dead and saying this is down to pure greed are nothing more than pure speculation!!

BrisbaneBronco

What we know:

*Mark Robins generally performed well as Coventry's manager.

*He was five months into a three-year contract.

*He knew the financial constraints on City when he moved here.

*Robins is from Lancashire and has managed two Yorkshire clubs before.

*Robins resigned as Barnsley boss after a disagreement over the club's budget.

*City have been approached by more than one club about Robins' services recently and they have "reluctantly" allowed him to talk to Huddersfield.

*Huddersfield are in a division above City this season.

*It is reported that there is a "six-figure" buy out clause in his contract.

*Last Tuesday, Coventry saw their hopes of progressing to the the JPT final all but dashed in the last week.

*Robins spoke to the board and owner about future plans for CCFC last Wednesday and, when the Cov Telegraph asked him the following day about speculation linking him with Town and Blackpool, he said he was "more than happy as manager of Coventry City".

*Defeat to Yeovil this weekend dented play-off hopes.

*Robins met "the owner" (does Fisher mean Joy?) yesterday but, according to Fisher, Robins still wanted to talk to Huddersfield after "we had done everything we could".

*City continues to lose money and have not settled the rent dispute with ACL.

*The club signed a loan player yesterday.

Have I missed anything? What does the evidence suggest?

You might be able to think of more, but so far I can see several potential scenarios:

1. Robins wants to return to the north for personal or family reasons.

2. Robins thinks he will be offered more money to manage Huddersfield.

3. Robins thinks his career aspirations would be best served by being Huddersfield boss rather than City boss.

4. Defeat against Yeovil (maybe combined with heavy first-leg defeat against Crewe) made Robins think the club could not realistically achieve promotion or trophy success this season and he has lost belief in the project.

5. Defeat against Yeovil (maybe combined with the Crewe defeat) made SISU think the club could not realistically achieve promotion this season and made them say or do something over the weekend which caused Robins to lose belief in their previous assurances.

6 (which may or may not be an extension of 5). Robins got wind of something that made him fear for his long-term future or ability to manage the club (such as a transfer embargo, administration, liquidation proceedings) and decided it would be a good time to investigate other employment opportunities.

7. Sisu rejected the Huddersfield offer for PR reasons, but were actually happy to take the money and said something to Robins that suggested he would be better off elsewhere.

Now be honest with yourself, if you were in one of those scenarios in your workplace what would you do?

For that reason, if Robins were to go for reasons 2 or 3 I would be disappointed to lose a good manager and, particularly in the case of scenario 3, think he could be misguided, but I might understand why he felt a move was best for him (even though it is not good news for us).

If he were to leave for reasons 1, 5, 6, or 7, I could understand Robins deciding to go and I would not hate him for it.

If he was to go for reason 4 I would be bitterly disappointed in him.

Of course, life is never simple and it might be a combination of these factors or something else entirely that is affecting what is happening. I'm just trying to make sense of what is happening from the scant information currently available. Maybe we'll know more soon...

Very well put sir.
I was thinking of posting something similar.
My money is on 5/6 being the reason MR is looking to jump ship and if it is the case he should not receive any abuse, just thanks and good luck

standupforcity

He hasn't jumped yet...but it would seem that CCFC do not have the money to hold on to their most valuable asset in years. The compensation must be very attractive to them, the wefare of thye club is far less important!

Sky Blues

Otis, I agree. I'm going to wait and see what is said before reaching any conclusions - though one of those darn confidentiality agreements could yet come into play...

Brisbane - thanks!

Astute

Nothing will be announced from our club until they can work out how to put the word 'undisclosed' into the statement. With a confidential clause put on MR I am not expecting anything in a hurry. It will be all one sided though so we will never know the truth.......as usual.

Otis

He has conned us yet you don't know the truth?

Very odd statement that surely?

We know nothing. Everything is speculation.

Forza

Otis

Why would we only have a 5 figure clause in place?

Oh, forgot. We are Coventry City.

FootballAttic

Totally agree with this post. The simple fact is that, for whatever reason(s), it would appear that MR believes his future is best served somewhere else and while I'd be very sad to see him go, I hold no malice toward the guy. Does anyone seriously believe he's set out to screw the club? Jobs are jobs and, like it or not, that's what being a football manager is. This whole loyalty thing just doesn't wash with me.

Why should a football manager (probably one of the most unsecure jobs going!) have to stay when he has something better (don't just mean money) offered to him? Would any of us turn down a better job to stay at our present employers only due to loyalty to them, especially given the propensity for companies to dispose of people without much of a thought when deemed necessary these days?

And this is in an industry where loyalty towards managers is there for all to see...well it would be if it existed.

Let's not also forget where we were when he arrived...talk of play offs and a trophy? You'd have been laughed at.

Just my opinion and I'm sure a lot won't agree, but hey, that's life.

torchomatic

Christ, it gets worse. Even their local paper has a rubbish name.

Users who are viewing this thread