What did Ipswich get right? (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

It’s more the number of times I’ve seen us passing it around at a pace that allows the opposition to get set and in position. By which point breaking them down or finding a killer pass/cross is much harder, so we end up passing side to side then either giving the ball away or taking a pot shot.

If you can get the ball up the field with more one/two touch passing you’ve got a much better chance of catching teams out of position with gaps and more obvious routes to goal to exploit. Unless you can find a Hamer type player who can get the ball up the pitch in even less time than that would take.

We sort of have two modes though. When we’re countering we can move the ball really quickly, but then get stuck in a loop of passing it around the back sometimes too. I wonder if only the former get counted as attacks or something.

Fergusons_Beard

They don’t move the ball quicker than us - about the same imo. They play in a similar way in terms of being direct but not in a long ball sense. We’re at our best when we’re not intent on playing keep ball.

Their front wide players are quick and they have composed finishers / goalscorers not just in their first 11, in the squad. Play on the front foot, attack with speed and they have decent CB’s. They had a decent Jan window and rolled the dice and it worked out (unlike Hull) - fair play to the club for that ambition.

I think to follow suit, our wide full backs need to be willing to have a go a bit more (looking at you MVE) and for that we need a solid centre back pairing, a fairly settled team that understand each other and a bit more composure in the final third when playing that last pass.

It’s been very obvious when our fullbacks have been told to hang back and not cross the halfway line-Man Utd first half etc..

Usually happens first half and second half full backs told to press higher.

Don’t know whether this a tactic or not but I’d like to see us unleash those full backs from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fergusons_Beard

As with Ipswich-you have to have a certain amount of luck and they’ve had a massive share of deflected goals from long range shots.

Not taking anything away anything from their very astute coach or well drilled players.

And yes I have consistently said they’d fuck it up-couldn’t see how they could maintain it-stats back it up-only promoted club to do this.

Good luck to them and they’ll do a damn sight better than last years promoted teams….

Brighton Sky Blue

As with Ipswich-you have to have a certain amount of luck and they’ve had a massive share of deflected goals from long range shots.

Not taking anything away anything from their very astute coach or well drilled players.

And yes I have consistently said they’d fuck it up-couldn’t see how they could maintain it-stats back it up-only promoted club to do this.

Good luck to them and they’ll do a damn sight better than last years promoted teams….

Southampton did it 12 years ago and stayed put for over a decade.

Jamesimus

It’s been very obvious when our fullbacks have been told to hang back and not cross the halfway line-Man Utd first half etc..

Usually happens first half and second half full backs told to press higher.

Don’t know whether this a tactic or not but I’d like to see us unleash those full backs from the start.

I could kind of understand it as a tactic against Man Utd, not that it worked on that occasion until we changed it!

Jamesimus

They have goals from all over, Chaplin, Broadhead, Hirst, Sarmiento has 5 or so, Wes Burns, Kiefer Moore, Hutchinson, think Harness has a few as well. It’s all well spread across a squad and not just 3/4 players.

Perryccfc

Quite simply they have a top coach. The players they have are mostly the same as their struggling days in League 1. I’m local and went a few times in league 1 with a STH brother in law, and it was garbage football. Players like Burns looked like league 1 was above his level.

McKenna will be a top 4 coach in a few years no doubt.

fatso

Funnily enough, the Sunderland forum, who cover all televised games, were commenting on our recent game with Ipswich about how both teams get the ball forward far quicker than they do.
That's maybe why both teams finished above them.

Next season with EMC and Tats available, and at least 1 new striker I'd expect us to be more attacking than we have been of late.
We appear to have plenty of possession but take too long to get a quality ball into the box.

Skyblue Bangkok

Next season with EMC and Tats available, and at least 1 new striker I'd expect us to be more attacking than we have been of late.
We appear to have plenty of possession but take too long to get a quality ball into the box.
Too long and too slow

skybluecam

Quite simply they have a top coach. The players they have are mostly the same as their struggling days in League 1. I’m local and went a few times in league 1 with a STH brother in law, and it was garbage football. Players like Burns looked like league 1 was above his level.

McKenna will be a top 4 coach in a few years no doubt.
Nah. When was the last time one of them hired a young English manager based on lower league success?

Deity

Yes and crucially we should be able to put fresh attacking legs on after 65 mins and the players coming are not a big reduction on the players coming off …

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If you drill down into the data further, the attacking difference is that Ipswich had better patterns of play once they got into the penalty area which generated more touches and resulted in a Non-penalty xG of 70.0 (Ipswich) versus 57.2 (Coventry)

Passes into Penalty Area

Coventry - 383
Ipswich - 393

Carries into the Penalty Area
Coventry - 219
Ipswich - 246

Touches in the Penalty Area
Coventry - 972
Ipswich - 1171

Key Passes (Passes that directly lead to a Shot on Goal)
Coventry - 440
Ipswich - 536

Average Shooting Distance
Coventry - 17.5 yards
Ipswich - 16.9 yards

So, Coventry was getting to the opponent's penalty area nearly as often. However, they were not as efficient once inside the penalty area. Ipswich generated a lot more shots and from a closer distance.
Imagine what
The things to drill for Coventry for next season will be getting the ball to those "Man City Zones" where you can kill teams with pullbacks or driven balls across the face with a crashing striker or even just making that extra pass in the right moment.

The addition of EMS and a fully integrated Tats will help. Both just seem to excel even in a crowded box.
Imagine what Brian Clough would make of today's statistic infested world of footy , young man ?

blunted

Teams get promoted because they are better than the opposition in most games. However, you cannot rule out luck regarding deflections, when you play opposition teams during the season, injuries and refereeing decisions. I don't subscribe to the idea that luck and decisions balance out over the season. Think we have had neither this season.
Add in Leeds and Southampton royally screwing up and they have taken advantage.
Good manager, coaching, style of play, good loans, confidence and big squad all help.
Cream eventually rises to the top but there are factors that can hold you back in any given season.
Interesting to see how they will get on in the Prem, as it is unforgiving and harder to stay up each year.

Brylowes

While Ipswich have surprised many this season, their success has come as no real surprise to the bookmakers, before a ball had been kicked all the major bookies had Ipswich in the top 4 or 5 in the betting.

MrBlueFace

Kept a team together and didn't sell their best players. Also improved in January with their signings.

Mucca Mad Boys

They also got some quality loans in. I have no idea why we didn't look for some good loans this season, could have made the difference
Would FFP have prevented our manoeuvrability? We’ve committed almost all of the Hamer & Vik revenue on signings. We signing Torp and then EMC which we believed wouldn’t involve the loan back deal until the last minute.

Hull went all out in the loan market and that got them nowhere really, if we get 4 loans in it could’ve made a difference but that was never on the table. I still think integrating those players probably wouldn’t have got us over the line.

In my mind, there were some clear restraints going into the Jan transfer window.

Brighton Sky Blue

Momentum surely plays a part
jeremy corbyn politics GIF

Hincha

Ah yeah, point remains though.

Chelsea have been the closest to doing that with Lampard and Potter, neither was a success for any length of time.

Tide is starting to change.

FA realised during the Sven & Capello eras that British coaches were miles behind the rest of Europe & improved the training and tactical focus.

Now starting to bear fruit (O'Neil, McKenna, Carrick, Mousinho, Evatt)

Hincha

Think the only thing the differentiates Ipswich from a club like us is McKenna.

The reason the bookmakers had them in the top 6 before the season despite finishing 2nd was because their stats in league 1 demonstrated that they struggled against low blocks but would be more successful against teams giving them more space.

McKenna had 18 months prior to playing in the championship to instill his tactics into the core of the squad and make the team a lot better than the sum of its parts.

We've had our team together for 10 months now and have already seen how good they can be in the middle of the season. Need to reach those levels again over a full season.

hamertime

It’s their manager that got them promoted.

Robins has been great for us but there is a reason premiership clubs haven’t and will never come in for him. He sets up wrong and negative too often, he doesnt change things quickly when they are going wrong and he starts with the wrong players so often.

Thats the difference. I would still let robins have a proper crack next season though.

Torquay Sky Blue

I think the loan system worked well for them.
They had 5 players on loan , 3 of which were brought in in January.
We had 2. One didn't work out (it happens) the other hardly played

CoventryUSA

Robins has been great for us but there is a reason premiership clubs haven’t and will never come in for him. He sets up wrong and negative too often, he doesnt change things quickly when they are going wrong and he starts with the wrong players so often.

Hiring a manager from a Championship club just isn't in vogue for Premier League sides. Unless you are the one who brought them up, there just doesn't seem to be an appetite for Championship managers.

Don't believe there is a single manager in PL that was hired to their current position from a Championship club. They are all either former PL managers or foreign hires.

Users who are viewing this thread