What defines a football legend in your eyes ? (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

There has been a notable amount of discussion of Vik's pending departure (what happens if he fails the medical? Do we have to send Simms back ? 😇). And some posters have commented on whether Vik was a legend and have raised the names of past players to compare.

But the PFA, FA, EFL doesn't have a checklist to identify what criteria makes a club legend. So this question goes out to the greater unwashed and (probably still) drunk SBT community.

What makes a player a "club legend" in your eyes ?

To give context to the term, can you please give an example of who you think meets this status ? And what have they done to qualify for the recognition this moniker infers.

As an example, I'll say Dave Busst. Not one you'd think of, no showboating, exciting fans with his rampaging runs or clattering tackles. Just an average/good player during our Premier League days. Fans knew he was a solid defender and safe. But after his terrible injury, he hasn't turned his back on football or become callous about losing his chosen profession. Rather than disappear into the shadows, he's worked his way back to health within the same organisation and is now the centre-point of the club's community interaction, a role he seems to take with great enthusiasm. A person committed to CCFC for all the right reasons.

MalcSB

A legend is a player who was with us for some time, entertaining fans and contributing to the club’s success or avoidance of failure - who then goes on to “give something back” to football and society. Or in two words - Tommy Hutchison.

rob9872

I think age will have a lot to do with this. For the older ones among us who grew up on City being top flight, its hard to put players not from that level in, but have to respect that was over 20 years ago now and a whole generation have never seen us there so will have a different criteria.

For me ours is Dion, but the way he left many will cast doubt on and so the true answer can only be Oggy

JulianDarbyFTW

I think a legend is someone who gives entertainment, hope and effort in equal measure. For some, Robbie Keane is a legend and he was only here for a season. At the other end you have Marcus Hall who had 2 spells for multiple seasons, and is never considered a legend. I don't think there's a complete definition, I think sometimes you just feel it.

Brylowes

In football as in any other sport, career, vocation etc.
Aside from the obvious talent and ability in whatever field it is that they excel, you would also expect them to be loyal, professional, gracious, knowledgeable, trustworthy, magnanimous, generous etc.

Legend is a word bandied about far to frequently (Especially in football ),and is often attributed to players who excel in their chosen field of sport, but are sadly lacking in many of the other attributes.

Happy_Martian

Literally someone who is still talked about years after they’ve left. And yes I’m aware this makes Kastaneer a club legend.

And Jarni.

SkyBlueScottie

Length of service and or impact they had at the club. Oggy, based on his playing career = legend.

Dion, goals scored, talisman, leader. Top goalscorer in the prem ( joint) played for England while here. Legend.

Happy_Martian

Yok and Hamer may

But why ? What in them defines a legend to you ? If it's commitment to the club through everything, can Vik be granted that attainment based on his attitude over the last 6 months (a full quarter of his time with us) ?

Sky Blue Pete

But why ? What in them defines a legend to you ? If it's commitment to the club through everything, can Vik be granted that attainment based on his attitude over the last 6 months (a full quarter of his time with us) ?
Their impact on the direction of the club
If Hamer signs another 3 years and gets us up

Paxman II

Club legends are the players/managers that made a big positive impact for the football club far outweighing their peers.

Robbie Keane comes to mind.
George Curtis and John Sillet, Jimmy Hill and Mark Robins and I would say Oggy too.

There have been some great players for us over the years, I can think of Mustafa Hadji for example, Gary McCallister, Bill Glazier, Calum Wilson to name a few down the years, but they are not legends, though well remembered for their contributions.

Happy_Martian

Legend: if his name starts in 'Julian Gra' and ends in 'y'.

Can accept that. Julian "Gracefulness" Darby is probably the biggest Leg-end we've had ;)

slowpoke

Players seem to move on quicker these days the likes of George Curtis, Mick Kearns, Ronnie Farmer, Brian Hill, Ernie Machin were here most of their careers and climbed to the first division through the divisions. Liam Kelly is our longest serving player and done the same journey.

Robbie Keane is seen as a legend but here only a year, yet is Stuart Pearce regarded the same ? From non league to one of the first names on our team sheet but moved on to Forest and 80 odd England caps later never really gets mentioned as a legend.

Covkid1968#

I just don’t think 1 or 2 years is enough to earn the title legend. Just because you are the stand out player for a brief moment in time doesn’t do it for me. So whilst it’s a privilege to see them…Keane/Yok etc is a no from me.

George Curtis. Played before my time but given the way people who did see him talk about him, given that he’s a Cov Kid, managed us and was a one club man… that’s a true legend.

CJ_covblaze

LastGarrison

For me there’s a fine line between cult heroes and legends.

Big Mo, Breen, Hadji, Chippo, and to a certain extent, Keane for me are what I would class as cult heroes.

Legends, for me, are more the ‘87 team, Hutchison, Dublin etc.

And then there’s loads that blur the lines such as Nuddy, Doyle and so on.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

A legend in my eyes is someone that’s helped propel the club into another level and also had a connection with the fans, and been around for a bit. So someone like Hamer could become a legend at the moment is a club hero, maybe a modern day legend, O’hare can say the same, Dabo probably a club hero, thats for modern day, players like big Cyrrille, Benno, Curtis, Mark Robins (on a coaching perspective)

fatso

Players who single handedly kept us in the top flight, even if they weren't around for long.
Gerry Francis and David Speedy to name just two.

All the '87 Cup winners for obvious reasons.

TomRad85

Robins is the only current day legend, quite a few recent/current players I'm very fond of but not any legends for me. If Hamer stays and has a big influence in a promotion to the Premier League he'd be a current day legend imo. If he sods off now I guess he's just another very good player who's come and gone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

Robins is the only current day legend, quite a few recent/current players I'm very fond of but not any legends for me. If Hamer stays and has a big influence in a promotion to the Premier League he'd be a current day legend imo. If he sods off now I guess he's just another very good player who's come and gone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Agreed

skybluetony176

It’s a very subjective question. For instance I consider John Hartson a legend at the club. He wasn’t with us for long and we got relegated from the Premier League. But my memory is he came, gave it his everything and almost staved away relegation single handedly.

For me it’s about what they did when here within the context of where the club was at the time. They haven’t got to be here when everything is in an upward trajectory to be a legend.

Grendel

It’s a very subjective question. For instance I consider John Hartson a legend at the club. He wasn’t with us for long and we got relegated from the Premier League. But my memory is he came, gave it his everything and almost staved away relegation single handedly.

For me it’s about what they did when here within the context of where the club was at the time. They haven’t got to be here when everything is in an upward trajectory to be a legend.

Really?

Greggs

someone you'd be happy to let shag your mrs and still be happy to offer to clean him up sfaterwards. Max Biamou

letsallsingtogether

The Maroccan Magician was a legend loved that bloke.
Just because I say so.

slowpoke

Our biggest legend by far is George Curtis much bigger than JH, made debut aged just 16 soon became a regular and went from the fourth division to the first, tragically broke his leg in our second match in but was back by Easter and played a significant part in us staving off relegation. Then was a main man in administration for years and then part of the team management in our greatest day, the cup-final. Not massive about statues but he should have had one first imo.

AJB1983

It’s a tough one.
True CCFC legends for me are the Jimmy hill team that got into the first division, the 87 team and their respective managers.
Then you’ll get certain players over the decades who either were very special or served for a long long time whilst they may not have won anything for us. Tommy Hutch a good example.
Then you’ve got heroes - which are subjective.
For me the likes of Dion Dublin and Robbie Keane fit into that mould - I suspect Viktor too.

although he was only with us for 3 seasons, I suspect I’ll look back in 20 years time and despite how frustrating he could be, I’ll be like “Christ what a player” and how close we came with him in the team, watching with the kids.

why I think sometimes Legends Day needs a rebrand - Steve Morgan? Ex-player, not legend.
John Williams? Ex-player and perhaps cult hero, not legend.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s a tough one.
True CCFC legends for me are the Jimmy hill team that got into the first division, the 87 team and their respective managers.
Then you’ll get certain players over the decades who either were very special or served for a long long time whilst they may not have won anything for us. Tommy Hutch a good example.
Then you’ve got heroes - which are subjective.
For me the likes of Dion Dublin and Robbie Keane fit into that mould - I suspect Viktor too.

although he was only with us for 3 seasons, I suspect I’ll look back in 20 years time and despite how frustrating he could be, I’ll be like “Christ what a player” and how close we came with him in the team, watching with the kids.

why I think sometimes Legends Day needs a rebrand - Steve Morgan? Ex-player, not legend.
John Williams? Ex-player and perhaps cult hero, not legend.
So it's basically personal opinion.

Some people will think you're a legend, others will think you're a bit of a cult,

Users who are viewing this thread